Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 33,808 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can you please tell me everything there is to know about Edgewater? I wanted to live in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. But of course I slowly and sadly learned that you get way more bang for your buck the more north you go. I'm concerned about the safety, but it's Loyola's campus so it can't be that bad, right? I'm just thinking about when I'm coming back from the train from downtown when it's dark outside.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
I like Edgewater. I've lived next to it and always went shopping on Broadway between Foster and Touhy, very nice area,, I'd live there if I wasn't living where I am! I cannot think of any bad streets, except watch the speed bumps on some streets to keep speeders down, if you go too fast on them, your car will suffer from a huge bump.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 PM

204 posts, read 911,344 times
Edgewater is a great place to live and as you discovered is significantly cheaper than
Lakeview. Like any urban neighborhood there is some crime: drug dealing, a small amount of gang violence, and some car break-ins. I've lived in 3 different sections of Edgewater and 6 different areas of Uptown (the neighborhood directly to the south) and never had an issue. I'm a man in my 30s, but every building I've lived in has had multiple female residents in their 20s. Even when I've come home at 2 or 3am, there have been multiple people getting off the train with me.

The nicer areas of Edgewater tend to be South of Bryn Mawr, along Sheridan road, or west of Broadway. The closer you get to Andersonville, the more expensive the rent will be.

Something to keep in mind while looking is that Edgewater and Rogers Park have a higher incidence of bedbug infestations than other neighborhoods. Check Bedbug registry and do a google search on any address and/or property management company you might potentially rent. I recently was on another apartment search and one apartment I looked at wasn't listed on Bedbug registry, but the property management company had reviews on yelp for 10 other properties they owned, which all had infestations.

Good luck with your search and be sure to check out the many other citydata threads on Edgewater, you will find a lot more information.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 7,389 times
I lived in Edgewater for 2.5 years right off the Bryn Mawr redline stop. Pros - it was affordable, it is easily accessible by train/bus, I felt safe during the day, the area has decent restaurants, and it was fun to jog by the beach in summer, but there were some down sides to living there too. The area changed completely once the sun went down - I felt fine walking along Sheridan Rd., Broadway and Bryn Mawr, but I wouldn't recommend taking side streets after dark. Also, the tires on my car were slashed twice in the apartment parking lot. I'd say check out some apartments on Craigslist and drive by in the evening to see what the area looks like when it's dark.

Also, have you considered Andersonville? It is super cute and has tons of restaurants/shopping. It is pretty affordable and is close to Edgewater.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
Andersonville is lovely.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,437 times
you'll be fine...chances of an early 20s girl getting into trouble in Edgewater are no higher than Lake View

also lol @ the Andersonville suggestions....do you people read or just spam your hoods over and over?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,479,291 times
If several people suggest the same "hood" then it might be more likely the OP will take a second look. When I asked the same question a while back, several people suggested Andersonville, which is the reason why Im here.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,395 times
Andersonville is...uh....awful.

You should not move here. Take it from me; I live here. Worst decision ever!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 33,808 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I should probably rephrase my question to something more simple:

Would it be a stupid decision for an early 20's girl to live alone in Edgewater? (Like Winthrop and Granvilleish?) Would I basically never be able to walk to the gym at night or back from the train late?

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM

204 posts, read 911,344 times
You'll be fine, the Granville station is around the corner. If you feel really unsafe late at night, it is probably a 20 or 30 second run from the station to your house. That area has frequent patrols by both CPD and Loyola security and I think there are emergency call boxes. Between 1999 and until just recently, I've known 3 different women who've lived in the artist in residence building on Winthrop near the corner of Granville, and not a single one had any safety issues. Just be aware of your surroundings and don't wear an iPod or talk on your smartphone while walking late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: