Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 03:09 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Still, Chicago has the most murders of any city in this country and that's a pretty dubious destinction.
Agreed. It's not something to be proud of, and it would be nice if our murder rate could be more like New York's or L.A.'s, though short of national reform that would probably need to involve massive gentrification that pushes more of the poor into the suburbs, as in NYC. (I'm not sure about LA.) That's probably not going to happen anytime soon, nor does it really solve the larger problem when it does happen, unless you're a "NIMBY" type.

It would be even nicer if we had the rates of Honolulu, Seattle, or San Diego.

It would be worse if we had the rates of New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, or St. Louis.

Instead, we have a rate about like Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, Miami, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh. Not the best, not the worst, but pretty middle-of-the-road by the standards of cities in our gun-obsessed nation. It's that larger problem that needs to be addressed much more than any local one, but as I recall you're not a fan of addressing the gun problem, so I guess you'll have to tolerate high murder rates in U.S. cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM

By the way, not that it really matters, but for the sake of factual accuracy, Chicago is much smaller than Hong Kong and approximately the same size as Toronto, according to the most recent census figures from Wikipedia.

Hong Kong 7.06 mil (2010)
Chicago 2.69 mil (2010)
Toronto 2.62 mil (2011)

Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
I'm really not sure how you're going to stop warring gangs over the multi-billion dollar drug trade.

The idea of getting weapons out of their hands is preposterous. With so much money at stake it is just not realistic to think you are going to keep semi-automatic and automatic weapons out of the hands of career criminals. Even if you somehow managed to purge the rest of the population of these weapons, people like this could and would find them.

The breakdown of the traditional family structure and religion has been disastrous in impoverished communities.

People used to be ashamed to be divorced. Now they are not ashamed of anything.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
By the way, not that it really matters, but for the sake of factual accuracy, Chicago is much smaller than Hong Kong and approximately the same size as Toronto, according to the most recent census figures from Wikipedia.

Hong Kong 7.06 mil (2010)
Chicago 2.69 mil (2010)
Toronto 2.62 mil (2011)
Hong Kong is a bit different. The city and metro are pretty much one and the same. It's also super-dense and very small geographically. And Tornoto IS smaller even if not by much.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

The breakdown of the traditional family structure and religion has been disastrous in impoverished communities.
You must be kidding. The U.S. is one of the most religiously-obsessed nations in the world. We're the top of that ladder in the First World, except possibly for Ireland, unless you want to count the wealthier Middle Eastern theocracies as "first world." If decline in religion caused murder, the rates in Western Europe would be off the charts.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 01-03-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Hong Kong is a bit different. The city and metro are pretty much one and the same. It's also super-dense and very small geographically. And Tornoto IS smaller even if not by much.
Metro area populations:

Hong Kong 15.8 mil
Chicago 9.5 mil
Toronto 5.8 mil

I still don't see what this has to do with anything, though. It's murder rate that matters. That's what determines how dangerous an area is (or, specifically, how likely you are to be murdered there, all things equal). That applies regardless of the population of any city or area. In murder rate, U.S. cities are nearly all horrible, and Chicago's is bad but not one of the worst. We have a national problem, and Chicago is a small part of it.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Instead, we have a rate about like Houston, Memphis, Tulsa, Miami, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh. Not the best, not the worst, but pretty middle-of-the-road by the standards of cities in our gun-obsessed nation. It's that larger problem that needs to be addressed much more than any local one, but as I recall you're not a fan of addressing the gun problem, so I guess you'll have to tolerate high murder rates in U.S. cities.
I support the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms. IMO, it's really too late to do anything about guns in this country. In this country money is everything and there are already more than 300 million in circulation. If you ban guns then all that does is create a much larger black market for them, driving up prices. I guess you think that the so-called 'War on Drugs' has been a success, huh?

The problem isn't really guns, it's people. This country has a strong culture of sex and violence that isn't going anywhere. Plus, people are extremely weak-minded around here. So, whether, you like it or not, nothing will really change even if guns are banned. Just the mention of banning guns has caused a spike in purchases. It is what it is. Keep up the hope though. lol

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Metro area populations:

Hong Kong 15.8 mil
Chicago 9.5 mil
Toronto 5.8 mil

Still don't see what this has to do with anything, though. It's murder rate that matters. That's what determines how dangerous an area is (or, specifically, how likely you are to be murdered there, all things equal). That applies regardless of the population of any city or area.
Where did you get that 15.8 milion population for Hong Kong? That must be including Shenzen which is an entirely different metro. Plus, Toronto is a little larger than 5.8 million. Even the urbanzed area has a little over 6 million.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 01-03-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
too many good law-abiding black people are afraid of both the police and the gangs.
You are correct. And, I think many of us understand why they would be afraid of gangs - but, afraid of police? It has always been my belief that most people, who live in the ghetto, feel the police are unreliable. Elderly blacks can still remember being beaten by policeman, attacked by police dogs, and sprayed with fire hoses, simply for taking a stand against racial discrimination. And, even as we speak, blacks continue to be victims of racial profiling. So, given those circumstances, I'm not surprised by the fact some people would rather take matters into their own hands, then call a potentially crooked officer, whose main objective isn't to help, but to lock them up and abuse them. All a cop needs is a warrant for someones arrest, an obstruction of justice, or someone resisting an officer, and out comes the silver bracelets. Blacks have had it with calling 911, only to see the victim, the complainant, or potential witnesses go to jail, while the suspects walk.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-03-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that 15.8 milion population fro Hong Kong? That must be including Shenzen which is an entirely different metro.
I suggest you start a separate thread in City-Data Hong Kong if you want to debate the boundaries of their metro area. I couldn't care less, because it has nothing to do with this topic, but numerous sources identify Shenzen as part of it. Feel free to Google.

Quote:
Plus, Toronto is a little larger than 5.8 million.
We're both wrong. It was 5.6 in their 2011 census. (I mistyped.) Speaking of Googling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reas_in_Canada
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago