Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Why are the people on this fourm so scared of the Westside & Southside? I was raised on Laramie & North Ave and 9 /10 of the time if you stay to yourself nothing will happen.
You're right that people (including many on this forum) make irrational generalizations about crime on the South and West sides. To be fair, though, this isn't a random location on the West Side. This is Austin, which has more homicides than any other community area in Chicago. It's because of specific areas like Austin that people make unfair generalizations to entire sides of the city.

Quote:
9 /10 of the time if you stay to yourself nothing will happen.
That 10th time is a real *****, though, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
It's difficult to draw conclusions about the behavior of kids under the age of 17. On the wrong day at the wrong time I could probably be assaulted by some rich kid leaving St Ignatius, Chicago Lab, or New Trier. Kids are stupid, impulsive, and feel invincible, and people are often the victim of some stupid kid trying to impress his friends by acting tough.

So were the rock-throwing kids in Austin doing it because they are Black, because they are poor, because they feel they have no options in life and therefore have "nothing to lose?" Or were they just stupid kids like the stupid kids we have all over this country?
I know what you're saying. My point is that there are a lot of people drawing some sort of "racial conclusions" based on some areas and it's not even the case. My point was to illustrate that it's not always racial. I agree kids are dumb, but the thing about grown adults trying to steal shoes off his feet while he had them on is a little different (he says they didn't appear to be "homeless" people).

Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Why are the people on this fourm so scared of the Westside & Southside? I was raised on Laramie & North Ave and 9 /10 of the time if you stay to yourself nothing will happen.
Yeah, I was raised around Madison and Cicero and nothing bad happened. Oh wait, that was in the 1950s.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 AM

257 posts, read 491,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know what you're saying. My point is that there are a lot of people drawing some sort of "racial conclusions" based on some areas and it's not even the case. My point was to illustrate that it's not always racial. I agree kids are dumb, but the thing about grown adults trying to steal shoes off his feet while he had them on is a little different (he says they didn't appear to be "homeless" people).
I'm not scared of kids per se. I'm scared of kids with guns because if they have guns, they will shoot, just matter of when.

I am generalizing but doesn't more Hispanic and black kids tote guns around more than the white ones? I'm not saying white kids are any better but it seems that way to me. Maybe I read the papers too much.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
its not the best over there. Honestly bloomingdale is about where it starts clearing up at tho but closer towards austin and bloomingdale and west of that towards narraganset it gets better. Theres a liquor store on laramie and north ave that gets alot of traffic especially some nights and alot of **** going on there and bloomingdale isnt that far from there so alot of the traffic and drunks roam around that way.

i use to live on laramie and schubert and its not bad at all a lil bit north of that like once u pass grand its better areas for the most part.

i live in that area but im past austin closer to narraganset havent had any problems in my area i just moved here about a couple months ago.
Ok thanks. How about around grand and laramie? I just drove by laramie off 290 and a lot of flashing blue lights on the poles, scary. Hard to imagine what it would be like in summer

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM

20 posts, read 158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy1225 View Post
Ok thanks. How about around grand and laramie? I just drove by laramie off 290 and a lot of flashing blue lights on the poles, scary. Hard to imagine what it would be like in summer
Grand and Laramie is ok that way alot of puerto ricans/mexicans with a few blacks in the area i use to live on laramie an schubert u had a few little things happening here an there but for the most part it was ok to live for me. try a little further north like wrightwood, drummond, schubert, and george those streets are all nice and you're not too far from the brick yard.

where u were at off the 290 at laramie is pretty rough over there as thats the austin area, i havent had many problems that way but i wouldnt want to live in that area either

Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
I guess because many of us prefer better than 1/10 odds.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 AM

29 posts, read 120,366 times
laramie and Bloomingdale isn't the greatest but you should be fine.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour View Post
laramie and Bloomingdale isn't the greatest but you should be fine.
If your house is facing laramie, I'm afraid the hoodlums in the summer time walking to liquor store will shoot me while I'm watching tv in my room.

Are there a lot of hood rats walking around laramie in the summer time?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Interesting.

This sounds like it was the old railroad yard and industrial area that I recall as a kid (...lived very close to Laramie and Grand, on Latrobe, but closer to Fullerton)....think this was the old Central Soya site? Laramie and Bloomingdale, north to the railroad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago