Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 6,225 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be moving to Chicago in June and we were wondering when the best time to start looking for an apartment would be? We visited in November and were told that the rental market moves fast and therefore we shouldnt bother looking until the spring. We are hoping to live somewhere in the west loop/river rest/river north area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
The rental market does move very fast. Unoccupied units in the "hot" neighborhoods might only sit on the market for a week or two. Occupied units that have tenants moving out might sit a little longer.

I would just start looking in May really. There are almost always vacancies in the River North highrises. West Loop I'm not so sure as I've never really looked at moving there myself.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
April - because they will have apartments available as early as 60 days before the beginning of your lease. Before that time, you could call and ask if they have any model apts to show you, they might, some do , some dont. this has been my experience.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM

204 posts, read 911,543 times
You should have plenty of choices if you start looking May 1st. I move almost every year, so I'm used to looking for apartments. Sometimes, I start 45 days in advance, but it really doesn't seem to increase my odds. Most of the places I've lived in I've found somewhere in the range of the 9th-22nd of the month preceding my move in date. 30 days is more than enough time to find a place. Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Best time to start looking for an apartment?...the day immediately before today.

Second best time to start looking for an apartment?...today!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I'd start scouting around soon, even today, if I were you. It will give you an idea of what's out there, but also it's possible to secure a place. When I moved to my place, it was in May, but I started looking in December and by January I already had an agreement with my place that I would be taking a lease starting May. I could do this because the people who were previously in my unit's lease was up end of April. I had been the first to snatch it up even months in advance. I think if I would have waited too long to do it, it would have gotten harder and harder.

My advice is to compile a list of places that interest you, and contact (call...or email) each one and see if they have any units whose leases expire at the end of May or around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: