Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

382 posts, read 824,902 times

Advertisements

Yes, NYC is way more stressful than Chicago. Most of that is because it has much, much more people than Chicago, and has a WAY higher cost of living than Chicago. You really do need to make at least 100k+ as a single person to have a decent standard of living in NYC, particularly Manhattan. That is just not so in Chicago.

I adore NYC, and to me it blows Chicago out of the water in many ways. Better restaurants, better clubs, more cultural activities, better and more parks, cooler architecture, more choices for museums, theater, music, and so on and so on.

However, there is as of late much too much focus on wealth and status in NYC---more than there ever was. People are too concerned with the trendiest of everything, even when selecting a potential mate! I keep trying to get my best friend to move here to Chicago, because of the dating horror stories she's had being a single female in NYC. It's like a land of man-children, and money obsessed women. NYC, even 20 yrs ago, used to be a melting pot of all income levels. But now it is only for the ultra wealthy. Even doctors and lawyers cannot afford to live in Manhattan once they get married and start having children. They are forced out to Brooklyn, and even that is getting to expensive so they are being pushed out to Queens or Long Island.

I love the fact that I can get a nice apt. in the nicest areas of Chicago for under $1500 per month. That is unheard of in NYC. The cost of living is why I can never live in NY. The people there are used to their tiny, run-down apartments for outrageous rents. They are used to traveling an hour ore more so they can live in a decent size house and send their kids to good schools. But I have been spoiled living in the Chicago area so I don't think I could ever live in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divakat View Post
Yes, NYC is way more stressful than Chicago. Most of that is because it has much, much more people than Chicago, and has a WAY higher cost of living than Chicago. You really do need to make at least 100k+ as a single person to have a decent standard of living in NYC, particularly Manhattan. That is just not so in Chicago.

I adore NYC, and to me it blows Chicago out of the water in many ways. Better restaurants, better clubs, more cultural activities, better and more parks, cooler architecture, more choices for museums, theater, music, and so on and so on.

However, there is as of late much too much focus on wealth and status in NYC---more than there ever was. People are too concerned with the trendiest of everything, even when selecting a potential mate! I keep trying to get my best friend to move here to Chicago, because of the dating horror stories she's had being a single female in NYC. It's like a land of man-children, and money obsessed women. NYC, even 20 yrs ago, used to be a melting pot of all income levels. But now it is only for the ultra wealthy. Even doctors and lawyers cannot afford to live in Manhattan once they get married and start having children. They are forced out to Brooklyn, and even that is getting to expensive so they are being pushed out to Queens or Long Island.

I love the fact that I can get a nice apt. in the nicest areas of Chicago for under $1500 per month. That is unheard of in NYC. The cost of living is why I can never live in NY. The people there are used to their tiny, run-down apartments for outrageous rents. They are used to traveling an hour ore more so they can live in a decent size house and send their kids to good schools. But I have been spoiled living in the Chicago area so I don't think I could ever live in NYC.
My question is.. how do people who makes less than a 100k survive at all? Do every person who lives in NYC make big bucks and the people who makes 50 k lives in a studio apartments in the bad part of the city? Do people who work
low paying jobs live on the streets? It just seems crazy.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My question is.. how do people who makes less than a 100k survive at all? Do every person who lives in NYC make big bucks and the people who makes 50 k lives in a studio apartments in the bad part of the city? Do people who work
I wonder about that as well. It's not like the average resident of NYC makes anywhere near $100k.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM

204 posts, read 911,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Everyone I know that I know who doesn't make 6 figures either lives with roommates (even people over 40 or 50 years old) or in a rundown illegal apartment in somebody's basement in Queens. It's why I will stay in Chicago.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Wow

Old 01-23-2013, 06:30 PM

Or, in the case of two of my aunts, they bought their co-ops in the early 80s and never go on vacation or buy expensive things.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Everyone I know that I know who doesn't make 6 figures either lives with roommates (even people over 40 or 50 years old) or in a rundown illegal apartment in somebody's basement in Queens. It's why I will stay in Chicago.

According to this data, the median income in New York City is around $50k. There must be a LOT of people living like paupers in that city.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/nyregion/rich-got-richer-and-poor-poorer-in-nyc-2011-data-shows.html?_r=0

Old 01-23-2013, 06:36 PM

I know a guy who makes $70k a year, but spends every dime he makes, has to live in Manhattan so he lives in a 3 bedroom apartment with 6 roommates! He's 38 years old.

Most of my friends have moved to NY and half my family lives there, but I have no desire. It is so competitive and expensive and I can barely get by here

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Just like here....someone making $40,000/year isn't going to be able to live in River North, Streeterville, or most of the Gold Coast (except a few buildings). Translate that to a much broader area. Of course people in NYC make all sorts of money. The difference is that they don't live in Manhattan or other desirable areas when they make under the average except in **** circumstances. Sad but true.

Chicago overall is a better deal. Don't get me wrong, NYC is an amazing city, but I feel like it's fairly romanticized in a number of ways. The reality of it is that if you want to live like certain people you've seen on TV shows or movies there, you have to pay up a little. There are definite ways of living that great life, but let's be honest, unless you're making over 6 figures or you're rich already, you probably won't be living a comfortable live in the East Village anytime soon.

My mom is originally from NYC and most of that side is too. My dad's side is from LA, but both of my grandparents and their families are from NYC (before that of course..Europe). My dad is first generation Non-Europe/NYC. I used to want to live badly there, but after coming down to earth and family members talking to me, I'm glad I didn't move there honestly..great for visits of course and family history ****.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
Visiting NYC, I finally truly understood the meaning of "rat race" (not talking about actual rats, lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago