Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
even 2500 is kind of on the low end...right?
Yes, I did real estate in New York and $2500 would got one of my clients a prewar doorman unrenovated studio in Midtown East.

The going rate in a newer doorman building is right around $2800-$3000 for a studio (non-doorman $1900-$2200).

Hence why I am loving Chicago right now, even if it is 5 degrees outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Or is it more laid back?
New York is three times its size and all about the hustle and bustle. Its exceptional public transportation creates more pedestrian traffic than Chicago by a fair amount, so that can be stressful. I lived in New York for a while, and every time I went back to my fam in Chicago, my most common commuting thought was "JESUS JONES, PEOPLE! DRIVE FASTER." The Midwest, like other regions outside the northern east coast has its own pace that is noticeably slower from the vantage of say a New Yorker or DC-ite (don't know what to all them). I feel the same about the west coast, save the Bay Area, which is very dense.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
New York is three times its size and all about the hustle and bustle. Its exceptional public transportation creates more pedestrian traffic than Chicago by a fair amount, so that can be stressful. I lived in New York for a while, and every time I went back to my fam in Chicago, my most common commuting thought was "JESUS JONES, PEOPLE! DRIVE FASTER." The Midwest, like other regions outside the northern east coast has its own pace that is noticeably slower from the vantage of say a New Yorker or DC-ite (don't know what to all them). I feel the same about the west coast, save the Bay Area, which is very dense.
Well Chicago is not THAT laid back, but the rest of the Midwest yes. The only faster paced cities IMO are NYC, Philly, Boston and DC. Chicago falls in the second group with cities like LA, SF and Miami. They have hustle and bustle but also a mix of being laid back.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
DC is faster than Chicago?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Maybe that was presumptuous of me, but between it being on the east coast and the poli-sector. Also I hear horror stories about crossing the Patomac during rush hour.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Have you ever been to DC? DC is more fast paced than Chicago. If anything after NYC, DC is the second city that has the most rat race mentality. It's actually my gripe about DC, the mentality of the people and their race to their top.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Well Chicago is not THAT laid back, but the rest of the Midwest yes. The only faster paced cities IMO are NYC, Philly, Boston and DC. Chicago falls in the second group with cities like LA, SF and Miami. They have hustle and bustle but also a mix of being laid back.

Which IMO is the best kind.

LA is an extreme, and NYC is an extreme. Chicago IMO has a bit of both worlds in terms of pedestrian-traffic/urban density living and also car culture.

Chicago is hustle and bustle, but also laid back. These are positives. I love the mix.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
Which IMO is the best kind.

LA is an extreme, and NYC is an extreme. Chicago IMO has a bit of both worlds in terms of pedestrian-traffic/urban density living and also car culture.

Chicago is hustle and bustle, but also laid back. These are positives. I love the mix.
Agreed. Gives enough hustle and bustle and enough being laid back. I think Miami and SF are exactly the same way too.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:00 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Have you ever been to DC? DC is more fast paced than Chicago. If anything after NYC, DC is the second city that has the most rat race mentality. It's actually my gripe about DC, the mentality of the people and their race to their top.
I've visited DC but not lived there. The people do seem very career driven and sophisticated. Please don't share that sophisticated statement to anyone who lives there.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Really Chicago MSA population is 9.2 million versus NYC 19.2 million, obviously their should be no comparison about place that has much more people than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago