U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 AM
 
507 posts, read 1,314,384 times
Reputation: 243

Advertisements

Or is it more laid back?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 AM
 
Location: New York City
396 posts, read 1,142,117 times
Reputation: 372
Absolutely not. I just moved here from NYC in December and feel that Chicago is much more laid back. People (in general) are nicer (people have said hi to me on the street and I am not used to that) and the trains aren't to crowded and come often (I'm on the Brown Line). New York in general in stressful, you always feel like you are in a rush or running somewhere for the most mundane things and everyone is social climbing. I haven't gotten cursed out, honked at, flipped off, spat on (don't ask) or sat in horrible traffic dealing with Jersey drivers yet . Granted I have only been here a month, but so far Chicago seems less stressful.

Last edited by sheaosaurus; 01-19-2013 at 01:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 AM
 
1,236 posts, read 1,608,158 times
Reputation: 973
Default Is Chicago as stressful as NYC?

Not on ones nasal cavity. One thing I don't like about NYC is, everywhere I go (e.g. Harlem, Manhattan, Brooklyn, or the Bronx) the city smells like p i s s and garbage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 AM
 
6,433 posts, read 6,053,576 times
Reputation: 8699
Compared to New York, Chicago is Mayberry. :-) only exaggerating a little
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,186 posts, read 2,690,620 times
Reputation: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Not on ones nasal cavity. One thing I don't like about NYC is, everywhere I go (e.g. Harlem, Manhattan, Brooklyn, or the Bronx) the city smells like p i s s and garbage.
You can thank Chicago's city planners for putting in alleys. In most of NYC they don't have them, so they have no choice but to put their garbage out on the sidewalk,.

The main reason Chicago is less stressful than NYC on the whole is probably that people there have to work twice as much as we do just to pay their rent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 21,431,461 times
Reputation: 7301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Absolutely not. I just moved here from NYC in December and feel that Chicago is much more laid back. People (in general) are nicer (people have said hi to me on the street and I am not used to that) and the trains aren't to crowded and come often (I'm on the Brown Line). New York in general in stressful, you always feel like you are in a rush or running somewhere for the most mundane things and everyone is social climbing. I haven't gotten cursed out, honked at, flipped off, spat on (don't ask) or sat in horrible traffic dealing with Jersey drivers yet . Granted I have only been here a month, but so far Chicago seems less stressful.
I'd say that these things can happen in Chicago....like in the Loop during morning commute and walking, it can feel rushed in certain areas, but it's not the same as NYC or the same level. If you aren't in a rush, nobody's going to care, unless you totally get in their way. I feel that most people who are in a rush, are not going to be *******s about it and won't care as long as you don't get in their way.

There is definite social climbing going on here, but not with everyone. Just certain people. Honking...you'll get honked at here sometimes by cabbies.



Overall though, Chicago is much more laid back than NYC any day of the year for sure. You have elements of NYC here, but in the much more laid back way. Things are more down to earth here I'd say.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM
 
1,236 posts, read 1,608,158 times
Reputation: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
The main reason Chicago is less stressful than NYC... people there have to work twice as much
Of course, New Yorkers work harder and have more stress... how else will they survive hurricanes and terrorist attacks?

Last edited by Just1Fan; 01-19-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,629 posts, read 7,705,286 times
Reputation: 1706
hell no! lol. I mean its a city not a small town, but new York is ridiculous and Frantic. WHen I went to NY the people weren't necessarily mean, just more hurried. And I agree Chicago is more down to earth.

Now Chicago, TBH, is more dangerous than NY overall so you gotta be more alert and aware without looking like an anxious girl, but stay away from the dangerous areas and I doubt you'll have that much of a problem.

mas23
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
15,322 posts, read 21,431,461 times
Reputation: 7301
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

Now Chicago, TBH, is more dangerous than NY overall so you gotta be more alert and aware without looking like an anxious girl, but stay away from the dangerous areas and I doubt you'll have that much of a problem.

EH. Overall? Yes. But when you learn the real story behind it, it's less. Homicides specifically...75% of them occur in only 25% of the neighborhoods. If you actually normalize those bad 25% of neighborhoods to be on par with the other 75% of neighborhoods, the homicide rate is about the same or lower than that of NYC. Yes, I know those 25% neighborhoods are part of Chicago, but when you think about it, most people outside of those neighborhoods don't really have a reason to even go there in the first place.

If you move to Chicago and have a good job, let's be honest...There's a 99.5% chance you probably will never ever step foot in Austin, Englewood, West Englewood, Roseland, Greater Grand Crossing, etc..maybe once in a blue moon. I think it depends on context. For someone who lives in those neighborhoods, Chicago is in fact very dangerous. For someone who spends all their time in Irving Park or Lincoln Park or Bucktown or Hyde Park, Chicago is not any more dangerous to them than NYC or LA. It all depends on your lifestyle and where you spend your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
 
2,918 posts, read 3,837,534 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
EH. Overall? Yes. But when you learn the real story behind it, it's less. Homicides specifically...75% of them occur in only 25% of the neighborhoods. If you actually normalize those bad 25% of neighborhoods to be on par with the other 75% of neighborhoods, the homicide rate is about the same or lower than that of NYC.
Sure, but to make that a fair comparison you'd have to also ignore the bad 25% of NYC's neighborhoods, at which point NYC would still come out ahead. Chicago isn't the only city where the crime is significantly worse in some areas than others. Most large cities are that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top