Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM

140 posts, read 183,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Baldwin Hills, California
Cascade Hts, Georgia
Olympia Fields, Illinois
google, DOTCOM
Since when does Olympia Fields have good schools? If you consider Rich Central High a good school then you have incredibly low standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Herman, my flower, I cannot argue with you. Your righteousness is simply too pure

Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPage Co View Post
Actually, the black family unit was in much better shape before the "War on Poverty" and all the welfare programs came along in the 1960s. Those dependency programs did as much damage to black families as slavery ever did. Look at how out-of-wedlock births soared since then.
I wrote that back on January 8. Thanks for plagiarizing me. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...l#post27687806

Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
Since when does Olympia Fields have good schools? If you consider Rich Central High a good school then you have incredibly low standards.
I graduated from Rich East in 2005. Having grown up in Park Forest, I went to elementary school in Olympia Fields.

The median household income in Olympia Fields is over 100k. Olympia Fields schools don't mach what you'd expect from the high level of affluence in town. This is because it's a SMALL town and the schools are connected with Matteson and Park Forest. I bet if Olympia Fields had thier own schools that didn't include the more modest areas nearby, the schools would be much better.

A significant number of Olympia Fields parents send thier kids to private schools. A good example would be Marion Catholic high school in Chicago Heights. Maybe Olympia Fields schools would be better if these parents actually saw it as a civic duty to utilize their local public schools.

But suggesting that Olympia Fields are "bad" because a lot of (well paid) black people live there isn't just ignorant. It's dumb.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I graduated from Rich East in 2005. Having grown up in Park Forest, I went to elementary school in Olympia Fields.

The median household income in Olympia Fields is over 100k. Olympia Fields schools don't mach what you'd expect from the high level of affluence in town. This is because it's a SMALL town and the schools are connected with Matteson and Park Forest. I bet if Olympia Fields had thier own schools that didn't include the more modest areas nearby, the schools would be much better.

A significant number of Olympia Fields parents send thier kids to private schools. A good example would be Marion Catholic high school in Chicago Heights. Maybe Olympia Fields schools would be better if these parents actually saw it as a civic duty to utilize their local public schools.

But suggesting that Olympia Fields are "bad" because a lot of (well paid) black people live there isn't just ignorant. It's dumb.
*Olympia Fields schools

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
Incredably low standards, huh? So what school with the hallways paved in gold do you recommend??

Arcadia Elementry in Olympia Fields got a blue ribbon award a couple years ago..

Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
It's amazing that city-data staff is so inept to ban this fool who has single handidly trashed the forum...what a joke of a site. But then again, our old moderator tolerated hate speech and racism as well so maybe it's just company policy.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
It's amazing that city-data staff is so inept to ban this fool who has single handidly trashed the forum...what a joke of a site. But then again, our old moderator tolerated hate speech and racism as well so maybe it's just company policy.
It might also have to do with the fact that yesterday was a holiday for a lot of people, but yeah it's a joke. Not only did he start making racist/bigoted comments all over, save a few messages, but he also derailed almost every single thread, and then when people were legitimately looking for help on issues, he tried to discredit other users' advice by giving them bad information with no proof. If you have that type of behaviour on this site, it makes it far less useful and the credibility as a site goes far downhill .

Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
To get back to the original topic ...

I grew up a few blocks south of 79th St., between Pulaski and Kedzie.

My mom says when they moved there, which would have been around 1947, there were almost no houses between ours and 79th Street. She used to watch from our house for the streetcar to pass, heading west towards Cicero. It would turn around at Cicero, so when she saw it go past that was just the right time to start walking up to catch it heading eastward. It was a nickel to ride the streetcar.

On our block there was a two-house lot that was undeveloped until fairly late. That was our "little prairie". Over west of Pulaski, the entire section was undeveloped. That was the "big prairie". That was developed in mid-60's into Bogan High School (now re-named, I believe).

Our streets were tarmac'ed but not paved, and had no curbs (until I was 20 years old). My last two years of high school were on the southeast side, and once a busful of my schoolmates drove through our neighborhood. To them, it looked like a rural area.

It was lily-white. Largely Irish-American Catholic. A Mexican family tried to move in some time in the early 60's. They were driven out. We had a black housecleaner come over every other week. She stopped coming after she got beat up at the bus stop. I rode a charter bus to high school, and one time one of the drivers had an unrelated charter to bring a sports (I think) team to our local high school. His plan was to just wait, in the bus, for the couple of hours they would be there. Definitely not a good idea! So I waited with him, in the bus. That was the same year that the civil rights marches were going on.

I moved from there around 1975, and my family sometime later moved from that house, so I haven't seen much of the old neighborhood since then.

When Chicago made it a rule that all city employees had to live within city boundaries, the neighborhood got an influx of police and firemen moving in to comply with the rule.

When I last visited, the entire southwest side seemed to have become much more diverse. It's about time.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I just remembered something - about 1973 when I had a boyfriend who lived around 53rd and Christiana, it was a caucasian neighborhood, Polish, Italian, Irish, etc... on Archer St - on the way there, do you remember the Huck Finn donut place? it had the BEST donuts and coffee! i dont think it is there now, shame,, Dunkin donuts had nothing on Huck Finn! ((Niles, IL had Amy Joy donuts that were like that, but it is closed to... too bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago