U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 AM

18 posts, read 35,735 times

Advertisements

What are the positives and negatives of each of the neighborhoods i listed for a 21 YEAR OLD college student? My budget would be $2,000 a month max. Any other recommended neighborhoods? Please list the positives and negatives of any neighborhoods you recommend , even if i did not list it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
1) The Loop should not be in consideration for almost anybody to live in. It's the central business district and while people live there, it's not many and it's a boring, boring part of town.

2) Streeterville has a lot of nice buildings, but most will be at the upper range of your price range. Not to mention..Streeterville is mostly boring too.

3) Lincoln Park for a college student would be good. There's a lot of college kids or just out of college kids living there. Rent is cheaper. Housing stock is older. More bars

Other areas? It depends on what you're looking for. Need more info on that, but based on what you said and I will generalize college kids here...

1) River North. If you want to live in a high rise and be around **** and a lot of night life, then you live in River North. A lot of the good looking people go to the clubs/bars here to party. Expensive but less expensive than Streeterville on average. Bars/clubs/food will be more expensive than other parts of town. But if you want to pick up hot women all the time and don't want to go far for it....here's your answer.

2) Lakeview. Like Lincoln Park but better. More variety of things. Wrigley Field is here...lots of bars all around. Cheaper rent than Lincoln Park..same age of housing stock.

3) Wicker Park. Used to be edgy, not as much anymore. Has a nice mix of some older edgy stuff with nicer stuff. IMO one of the top 2 nightlife centers in the city. No highrises. Can find real good deals of remodeled newer stuff if you have a roommate or two or three. Some 1 bedrooms can cost a lot, some don't have to, etc.

4) Bucktown. Next to Wicker Park. Even more gentrified...price deal for places, look above.

5) Logan Square - Certain areas (technically Bucktown is part of Logan Square). A little more hipster. Can find real cheap rent here.

6) Ukrainian VIllage/Noble Square - South of Wicker Park. Kind of like a lower key mix between Wicker Park and Logan Square.

7) Pilsen/Bridgeport - Newer hipster enclaves. More artsy and at least in Pilsen there's a number of good authentic mexican places.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:14 AM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
Don't listen to HarmanFox on this. Streeterville and Lincoln Park do not have crime problems in the least bit. They're very safe neighborhoods. The worst thing that happens in Lincoln Park are drunk college kids causing commotion. There might be an isolated incident here or there, but overall...very safe. He/She is right about your budget though at least for Streeterville. Don't live in the Loop either since it's so boring. You can easily find a place for rent in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc within your price range.

Most of the ones I mentioned are safe. With River North, there might be a random incident here and there, but nothing to worry about on a daily basis. Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Bucktown are the same way. Logan Square is pretty safe in some areas, but it's shadier the further west you go there. Ukrainian Village and Noble Square, same kind of deal as Logan Square, but overall it's fine (maybe in a few places watch your back more). Pilsen and Bridgeport, same deal...fine for awhile, shady in a few places on the "outskirts" of the neighborhood especially in the western area of Pilsen which is close to Lawndale, which is a pretty terrible neighborhood.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 AM

140 posts, read 147,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Come up with new material.
I don't understand why you can't get it in the head of yours. You cannot support multi-culturalism in America and simultaneously fight against it in Israel like the Jews there have been doing for years against the Muslims, can you? I suggest that for Israel, diversity would be a strength for them, they should have open borders, bi-lingual education (arabic), let the Arabs join the military, push affirm action for non-jews, and they should accept African refugees too because diversity equals strength!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,387,516 times
Damn. You're not funny.
You're lamr and sad.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,801,016 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned comments from banned former member

The Loop: Don't live there.

Streeterville: Nice housing stock, but boring. I'd rather live west of Michigan ave. in River North and the pricing is the same essentially.

LP: There will be more people your age here. You can get a pretty large place for $2,000/mo. This is probably the ideal place for you.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-22-2013 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,543,134 times
Look at Lincoln Park, Lakeview, River North/Gold Coast, and Wicker Park/UK Village. Streeterville is for old people and there's not enough residential in the Loop.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,917,390 times
lol, I want to hear more about the Jewish media conspiracies! That dude is hillarious

Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,718,741 times
Moderator cut: Orhaned reference to banned member. You will have zero issues with safety in any of the more expensive neighborhoods. I am 24 year old and moved to the city when I was 22. I would suggest any of the below neighborhoods. If you are into drinking, I would recommend you live closer to the Lincoln Ave/Fullerton Area. Your budget supports it but won't be MAXED out (unlike River North) which is always a plus. Also you can get a VERY nice place along the lake so you can run along the lakeshore and swim in the summer in the lake. Its a beautiful area and is VERY safe.

Feel free to tell us more about yourself and we can gauge where you fit best. Also, are you bringing a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Look at Lincoln Park, Lakeview, River North/Gold Coast, and Wicker Park/UK Village. Streeterville is for old people and there's not enough residential in the Loop.
This 100%. The loops isn't for living mostly due to inactivity not so much due to residential existence.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-22-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 01:35 AM

18 posts, read 35,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
You will have zero issues with safety in any of the more expensive neighborhoods. I am 24 year old and moved to the city when I was 22. I would suggest any of the below neighborhoods. If you are into drinking, I would recommend you live closer to the Lincoln Ave/Fullerton Area. Your budget supports it but won't be MAXED out (unlike River North) which is always a plus. Also you can get a VERY nice place along the lake so you can run along the lakeshore and swim in the summer in the lake. Its a beautiful area and is VERY safe.

Feel free to tell us more about yourself and we can gauge where you fit best. Also, are you bringing a car?

This 100%. The loops isn't for living mostly due to inactivity not so much due to residential existence.

I appreciate the feedback everyone.

I will be going to school in the downtown Depaul campus which is on E Jackson and State Mondays through Thursdays. I (will) have A LOT of free time and will be planning on going out often. Although i do not mind staying home on Friday nights and watching movies with friends. I want to met new people and make new friends. I am more of a social drinker and not shy when it comes to meeting new people or approaching women. I plan on bringing my car and do not mind paying a monthly fee.

Also can you or anyone else elaborate on River north?

My budget is flexible

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-22-2013 at 01:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago