Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

140 posts, read 183,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
What are you looking for in a neighborhood? While Jefferson Park, Harwood Heights, and Norridge are nice places, I would not recommend it to anybody in their 20s unless they either have a family or are looking for a more suburban environment.
The demographics of those areas insure that the OP will remain safe from the hostile animals that are taking over much of the north side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheChi View Post
Nightlife is a plus (not necessarily within walking distance, but within a short bus trip). Proximity to downtown is also nice. I like the place I am considering and I am most concerned with being able to walk my dog at night.
I think Logan Square is perfect then. I think the area you are looking at is perfect then as well. You are close to A LOT and not being in the middle of it.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I think Logan Square is perfect then. I think the area you are looking at is perfect then as well. You are close to A LOT and not being in the middle of it.
I agree, and if you don't want the nightlife of Logan Square, Wicker Park is very close. Access to the Loop is easy on the Blue Line and not too long of a journey either. If you want to go out in Lakeview or what not, then hop on the 76 bus. It's about a 15-20 minute ride to get to the Brown Line which will give you access to different neighborhoods as well, or possibly get on that to transfer to red line, etc.

Personally, I would be closer to the square if you plan on using the train a lot, but the area is not a bad location at all IMO.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree, and if you don't want the nightlife of Logan Square, Wicker Park is very close. Access to the Loop is easy on the Blue Line and not too long of a journey either. If you want to go out in Lakeview or what not, then hop on the 76 bus. It's about a 15-20 minute ride to get to the Brown Line which will give you access to different neighborhoods as well, or possibly get on that to transfer to red line, etc.

Personally, I would be closer to the square if you plan on using the train a lot, but the area is not a bad location at all IMO.
Right that is what I was saying before too. I would move a lil west of the expressway. The area around Diversey and Western while convenient, is a little too congested and "big boxy" for my tastes, but certainly convenient. The area between western and Kedzie along Logan IMO is much nicer and interesting and still close to a lot.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPage Co View Post
How about Portage Park ?
I would avoid Portage Park. Generally a boring area, ver car centric,and you are not close to much. I am actually house sitting in the neighborhood right now, and I wantto blow my brains out!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
If you like the area I would do it. Safety shouldn't be a big concern.

I would not live in any of the areas like Jefferson Park or Norridge. There is virtually no point in living there IMO as you might as well be living in the suburbs, so why move from where you are. Those are bad reccommendations IMO.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM

118 posts, read 194,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtotheChi View Post
I am considering renting an apartment near Western and Diversey in Logan Square. I need to take the highway to get to work and the location is very convenient. When I viewed the apartment this past weekend, I didn't get a feel of any threat for my safety, but figured I would come to this forum and see if I could get thoughts from others that have lived in this area.

I lived in some pretty rough parts of St. Louis which helped me develop some "street smarts," but can someone give my an idea of what, if any, issues I could anticipate living in this neighborhood? There appears to be a few nightlife options within walking distance of my place, but not too much (although there seems to be plenty of traffic which, in my experiences, is generally a good thing). As a 26 year old male, would I be safe walking by myself at night (with a dog, this is pretty much a guarantee)?

Any thoughts?
I've lived 2 blocks away from that corner for the past 10 years. Overall, the neighborhood feels safe and there have been few incidents. The main issues are gang activity, which mostly manifests itself in graffiti, and a small population of homeless people that camps out under the highway and panhandles around the ramps and at Diversey and Elston. I live in a big condo/townhome complex where folks are out walking their dogs at all hours and I haven't heard any complaints or safety concerns. If you're right at Western and Diversey, south of Diversey, you might get more roving teens due to the movie theater right there.

There are a number of great restaurants within reasonable walking distance. Owen & Engine is right there and is very good, as is Fat Willy's Rib Shack. Eclipse is relatively new and has a good looking menu, though I haven't been in there. The bar there is certainly hopping on Friday/Saturday. The Orbit Room is bar with good food fairly close by. The corner of Elston and Belmont is also fairly close and has a bunch of good things Kuma's, Urban Belly, Dragon Lady, Pork Shoppe, a new sushi place, etc.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPage Co View Post
LOL don't do that! . Must keep your guard up. So is it best to say that the OP should stay east of Cicero?
More or less. I think the area around the Irving Park Blue Line is the last particularly interesting neighborhood/area going northwest. After that area it just gets too suburban and car centric. You also get too far from the action of the city.

For instance I didn't go out this weekend because I was staying in Portage Park. I mean if I want to go to LP or River North from here it's a pain. Using public transportation would be a pain and take too long. Driving is a lil too hefty, especially if you are going to drink and cabbing it comes put to be $$$. The area isn't even convenient within itself! Unless you live right on the main commercial streets. Anyway getting off topic, but yeah west of Cicero I don't recommend, just too far for a lot that goes on on the rest of he city.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:45 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmanFox View Post
We all know that non-whites cause more crime than withes. Any area with a sizeable minority population should be avoided. Idk why that so hard for people here to understand.
Racist.
Ban him.
Reported.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 9,864 times
Thanks for all the [productive] comments. How would you rate the access to public transit in the area? Obviously, a train is not too close. Is the bus system at least somewhat efficient?

Last edited by NewtotheChi; 01-21-2013 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago