U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,335,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I hope you are aware of the diff in chicago life style norm and where you are living now. You not only have to lock all doors, but if you don't have several locks you're asking for trouble. The gun violence is at an all time high, and that's sayin' something there and IL has the 5th highest unemployment rate in the country per Wall Street journal this past week. rents are higher now because places to rent are in demand. Foreclosures in IL put them at same or 6th in country, again, per wall street journal. I grew up in Chicago, around Wrig field... all the time. its the only neighborhood I'd consider right now. Of course, I haven't been back in 5 years now, so I suppose things could have changed. But from what I hear its worse... be careful, I'd like to suggest a 3-5 day fact finding trip before you jump and make a big move. Best of...
No offense but..you are kind of sheltered if you really think Lakeview/Wrigleyville are the best. Double locks? You would live anywhere else but Wrigleyville? Seriously dude? You probably don't belong in this city at all. The pure fact you haven't even been back in 5 years and are posting this shows your post shouldn't even be taken seriously.

Let's put this into perspective. Since 2007, Lakeview has had 11 homicides. Here are the areas of Chicago who have had less murders in that time than Lakeview:

Mount Greenwood - 0
Edison Park - 0
O'Hare - 1
Forest Glen - 1
North Park - 2
North Center - 2
Beverly - 2
Norwood Park - 4
Montclare - 4
Lincoln Square - 4
Jefferson Park - 4
Hegewisch - 4
Clearing - 5
Armour Square - 5
West Elsdon - 5
Loop - 6
Lincoln Park - 6
Hyde Park - 6
Dunning - 6
Oakland - 7
Near South Side (i.e. South Loop) - 7
Fuller Park - 7
Pullman - 9
Garfield Ridge - 9
East Side - 9
Archer Heights - 9
West Lawn - 11

That's 27 official community areas, out of 77, who have seen less homicides in the last 6+ years than Lakeview. Then there's McKinley Park and Douglas with only 1 more than Lakeview, and Kenwood and Irving Park with 2 more. Lakeview is a safe area of town, but I'm sorry there are a lot safer areas of the city even, and yes some DO in fact have things to do (see North Center, Lincoln Square, etc).

And you still think Wrigleyville/Lakeview is the safest area of Chicago. Come on..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM

644 posts, read 1,084,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
I hope you are aware of the diff in chicago life style norm and where you are living now. You not only have to lock all doors, but if you don't have several locks you're asking for trouble. The gun violence is at an all time high, and that's sayin' something there and IL has the 5th highest unemployment rate in the country per Wall Street journal this past week. rents are higher now because places to rent are in demand. Foreclosures in IL put them at same or 6th in country, again, per wall street journal. I grew up in Chicago, around Wrig field... all the time. its the only neighborhood I'd consider right now. Of course, I haven't been back in 5 years now, so I suppose things could have changed. But from what I hear its worse... be careful, I'd like to suggest a 3-5 day fact finding trip before you jump and make a big move. Best of...
I'm sorry, but this information is mostly irrelevant, and a lot of it is wrong. People need to stop blowing the crime issues out of proportion. The fact is that violent crime rates are near their lowest levels since the 1960s. I honestly can't think of a location in the entire country where I wouldn't lock my doors. That just seems like common sense. The unemployment rates do create all kinds of problems, but I really don't know why someone would use that as a reason to not move to Chicago. And I'm not sure why Wrigleyville is the only neighborhood you'd consider. Maybe you have a personal reason for liking the area, but there are loads and loads of other great areas in the city.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM

15,322 posts, read 21,335,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
The unemployment rates do create all kinds of problems, but I really don't know why someone would use that as a reason to not move to Chicago.
No kidding. The unemployment rate of the city is not just a bunch of people who have qualifications either. People need to realize that in any big city, there is a large population of a non skilled labor force, that..I hate to use this term, but are disposable in their jobs sometimes. These are people like cashiers or things like that. They are obviously essential to any business, but you can train almost anybody to do that type of work.

There are loads of jobs available for skilled workers in Chicago and if you are willing to even work at a lower end job such as a restaurant position, there's loads of that too. Hell, I was just in a place popular with cabbies today and there were 3 fliers up for "Cab Drivers Wanted."

My division of my company hasn't RA'd many people, but of the about 8 we've RA'd in the last 4 years, I haven't heard a single one who had any trouble finding a job. In fact, they've all found another job within the Chicago MSA before even their last day with my company.

It shouldnt' sway anything about moving here. Anybody who is smart with this stuff would do their research before moving to a city. If your line of work doesn't have a strong presence in a city, why move there only to ***** that you can't get a job?

Old 02-03-2013, 01:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 3,959,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
I'm sorry, but this information is mostly irrelevant, and a lot of it is wrong. People need to stop blowing the crime issues out of proportion. The fact is that violent crime rates are near their lowest levels since the 1960s. I honestly can't think of a location in the entire country where I wouldn't lock my doors. That just seems like common sense. The unemployment rates do create all kinds of problems, but I really don't know why someone would use that as a reason to not move to Chicago. And I'm not sure why Wrigleyville is the only neighborhood you'd consider. Maybe you have a personal reason for liking the area, but there are loads and loads of other great areas in the city.
I can: my hometown, located seven miles west of downtown Cleveland. My college town. Parts of Chicago, like Edison Park and Mount Greenwood. Park Ridge. Iowa. Plenty of places.

There's no reason to freak out over crime, but there's also no reason to paper over the massive differences between crime rates in different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago