Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 12,815 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am about to move to Chicago. I found a place on West Fullerton near Hamlin. Many older posts on this forum have advised against going to the western part of Logan Square. They cite gang activities and property damages as reasons. I am wondering if this is still the case today? Would it be safe if I just stay on Fullerton and not venturing into the smaller streets?

Look forward to helpful feed backs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
lots of gang activity...but it won't impact your life one bit.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:17 PM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Well, there's safe and then there's safe. In my experience from the area around Fullerton and Hamlin, I don't think that violent crime should need to be a significant concern for you unless you yourself are involved in gangs or the drug trade, or could easily be mistaken for someone who is. One can certainly find plenty of trouble in that part of the city if one goes looking for it, but one should also be able to avoid it fairly easily. Property crime is a bit of a different story. Compared to the rest of the city of Chicago, the risk of property crime there is generally moderate. I've never lived very near there, but I have friends who have lived a few blocks from Fullerton and Hamlin for a few years, and have enjoyed it and had no problems with crime whatsoever. But one certainly does hear and read about problems with vandalism and break-ins into homes and especially vehicles on a fairly regular basis. So, all in all, I think it's fair to say that that neighborhood is definitely neither the safest nor least safe place in Chicago in terms of crime risk. Personally, I would absolutely not be worried enough about crime to prevent me from wanting to live in the area around Fullerton and Hamlin, if I found a place there that I liked and that otherwise fit my needs and lifestyle. But different people have different thresholds, and you have to make your own decision.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 PM

the only real issue is distance from the blue line

Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
I don't think that violent crime should need to be a significant concern for you unless you yourself are involved in gangs or the drug trade, or could easily be mistaken for someone who is.
Or you get caught in a drive-by, or you decide to call the cops because you don't want thugs dealing or being up to no good outside your house/apartment Think twice about moving into an area that had a noticable gang presence. A lot of drawbacks to that, not the least of which is a neighborhood accustomed to looking the other way. Hopefully you never have to count on someone to call the police or intervene on your behalf should something go down.

None of this is me saying that this is a problem in that particular area. I lived in Logan Square (further east) and you didn't see this, mainly because the neighbors didn't put up with it.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
My son has lived on Monticello near Fullerton since last summer and has not had any trouble. I have been there myself a number of times during the day and it did not feel unsafe although I was in a car and did not walk the streets much.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
the only real issue is distance from the blue line
Does the Healy Metra station offer a viable alternative for daily commute? What about the bus along Fullterton? Is the bus ride itself clean and safe?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublelucky View Post
Does the Healy Metra station offer a viable alternative for daily commute? What about the bus along Fullterton? Is the bus ride itself clean and safe?

If you are working in the loop, the Healy station is a fine alternative. It's mostly just an issue with visiting other neighborhoods...one of the main draws of Logan is blue line access to neighborhoods just south.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublelucky View Post
And as far as the bus goes, yes, it's a useful mode of transportation, and you can and should use it frequently if you move over near Fullerton and Hamlin. I've ridden the good ol' #74 Fullerton bus countless times over the decades at all hours of the day and night, along its full length from west to east, and it's as clean and safe as any urban bus route. It ain't luxurious, of course, but it's at least adequately comfortable, and certainly the modern CTA buses are a hell of a lot more pleasant and user-friendly than the old noxious "green limousine" models that I grew up riding. Safety wise, it's like many other things in the city: as long as you don't start trouble and don't make yourself a target, you should be perfectly safe. It's always wise to be alert and aware of your surroundings, and crime incidents certainly can and do occur on the CTA on occasion. But thousands of people ride the buses and trains everyday and the vast, vast majority of them never have any problems, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to as well.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the great advice :> One more question: I am contemplating about buying a car.. nothing fancy, just a second hand Civic. Is it easy to find parking in the area? Is there alternative to street parking, if break-in's are common places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: