U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,373 times

Advertisements

I've seen quite a bit of threads similar to this topic but they all seem to be a little older and I know how quickly things can change so....

My friend and I(mid 20's, male) are both recent college graduates and are planning on moving up to the Chicago area in late summer(August/September). Both of us have visited the city multiple times and love it, plus Chicago has many more entry level/career opportunities than where we currently reside(Asheville, NC and Hilton Head, SC). After doing some research on neighborhoods to live in we keep coming back to Lincoln Park, Wicker Park and Lakeview. Obviously since we are fresh out of school, apartment pricing is the biggest variable in the search.(Saved up a little money for the relocation, plus we have another planned roommate moving up so would like to stay in <$2000/3 people, if at all possible. Would love to be around a similar age crowd with a solid nightlife scene, as well as around public transportation since none of us are going to be bringing vehicles more than likely will be working within the Loop.

Any insight or advice for places to live and the move in general would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
In those neighborhoods, I think your budget might be about $100/month too low. Wicker Park will actually be quite a bit more expensive. Lakeview is probably your best bet out of those neighborhoods for finding stuff. With your budget I think it's possible, but I would try and raise that up to $2100-$2200/month if possible. I think Wicker Park, you're looking more at $2400-$3000/month for a 3 bedroom IMO, but I could be wrong. I would take a look in Lakeview first though as I believe that to be your best bet.

if you want to keep that > $2000/month for 3 bedroom deal and aren't finding much, IMO you should extend your search out. one place that I would bet has it would be in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. Now, I will say Ravenswood is not hopping. Lincoln Square has stuff to do but it's not LV, LP, or WP. However, I'm recommending these neighborhoods because they are not only very close to Lakeview, but they are on the train and a 5-7 minute ride to various Lakeview spots. if you lived in Ravenswood, you could ride the Brown Line a few stops to Belmont stop which is one good area of Lakeview for nightlife. If you want to go to Wrigleyville, then easy, just ride to Belmont a few stops, transfer to red line and go up one stop to the Addison stop..etc.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 PM

204 posts, read 804,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In those neighborhoods, I think your budget might be about $100/month too low. Wicker Park will actually be quite a bit more expensive. Lakeview is probably your best bet out of those neighborhoods for finding stuff. With your budget I think it's possible, but I would try and raise that up to $2100-$2200/month if possible. I think Wicker Park, you're looking more at $2400-$3000/month for a 3 bedroom IMO, but I could be wrong. I would take a look in Lakeview first though as I believe that to be your best bet.

if you want to keep that > $2000/month for 3 bedroom deal and aren't finding much, IMO you should extend your search out. one place that I would bet has it would be in the Ravenswood/Lincoln Square area. Now, I will say Ravenswood is not hopping. Lincoln Square has stuff to do but it's not LV, LP, or WP. However, I'm recommending these neighborhoods because they are not only very close to Lakeview, but they are on the train and a 5-7 minute ride to various Lakeview spots. if you lived in Ravenswood, you could ride the Brown Line a few stops to Belmont stop which is one good area of Lakeview for nightlife. If you want to go to Wrigleyville, then easy, just ride to Belmont a few stops, transfer to red line and go up one stop to the Addison stop..etc.
That is really great advice (they wouldn't let me rep you again). I think anywhere near the Irving Park, Montrose, Damen, or Western Brown line Stops would be great options in addition to your other choices.

Maybe add Ukranian Village to your Wicker Park search or somewhere near Division or Chicago blue line stops? That might open up some options price wise

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
Hah, thanks. Yeah anywhere along the Brown Line in either Western Lakeview or Lincoln Square/Ravenswood are good areas as a compromise. I agree with Ukrainian Village as it is close to Wicker Park and definitely extend that out to Noble Square. I think those areas have a number of pretty well priced multiple bedroom units. IMO, the area around Wicker Park is one of the best bets for a SOLID mid 20s and later nightlife. River North is the other one IMO but with that budget, you can't afford to live there unfortunately. Lakeview as well really depends on where you go. Some areas definitely have certain age groups going.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,801,016 times
Lakeview is probably your best bet from a price standpoint and maybe even social. Or maybe the NW parts of LP, rents seem to be cheaper around there for whatever reason. As mentioned above, your budget might be a little low, but not impossible. When I had roommates we paid $750/person for our 3bed in Lincoln Park. I also know people that have found places for $500/month. It's just a matter of looking.

Now for he stereotypes:

Lakeview - Dominated by Wrigleyville (fratbro) nightlight and Boystown (LGBT). Lots of very young recent college grads establishing themselves in the city. In reality, if you stay away from Wrigleyville Lakeview isn't all that fratty. It's a large and area with pretty decent diversity fort he north side.

Lincoln Park - Still fratty/bro/big10 environment, but the average age is a tad higher. More families. Nightlife pretty heavily revolves around DePaul and college-aged bars. I'm 28 but rarely go out in LP unless it's local dining or low-key bar for a drink and conversation.

Wicker Park - Hipsters, skinny jeans, "cool".

All have good nightlife choices, and good CTA access to the loop. I'm not a big fan of WP geographically, but others will dispute that I'm sure. There truly isn't a wrong choice in your situation. The difference between living in either of these places is pretty marginal, especially between LV and LP. Just find a good location and a good price.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,917,390 times
The rent is definitely a bit low, but I know there are some really nice lakefront apartments/condos that people rent by the Sheridan red line in Northern Lakeview. I have a few friends who live right on Sheridan (or lakeshore or whatever it's called) and they pay $600 each for a two bed condo they rent.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

481 posts, read 738,978 times
In my opinion, these neighborhoods are less different than people make them out to be (I've lived in all three).

All of them have fratty college bars. All of them have hipster joints and more upscale drinking locations. All of them have fast food and fine dining. The ratio might vary, with Wrigleyville being higher on the sports/frat bar spectrum, but it's easy to find any type of place you are looking for in any of the neighborhoods.

I would choose based on the cost/quality of the apartments you see, ease of commute and desired proximity to the lake.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,718,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
In my opinion, these neighborhoods are less different than people make them out to be (I've lived in all three).

All of them have fratty college bars. All of them have hipster joints and more upscale drinking locations. All of them have fast food and fine dining. The ratio might vary, with Wrigleyville being higher on the sports/frat bar spectrum, but it's easy to find any type of place you are looking for in any of the neighborhoods.

I would choose based on the cost/quality of the apartments you see, ease of commute and desired proximity to the lake.
I agree 100%. I wouldn't worry too much about the bars because you will find a few like no matter where you live. For you it appears to be more about cost.

I had a 3br apartment with garage spot for $2K/month in wicker park and it was very nice! But that was a VERY good deal we got. They ended up kicking us out basically by raising our rent to $2,800 after our lease was up. Anyway, it IS doable, but hard to find.

Lincoln Park you have a very small chance at getting a 3bedroom. I haven't shopping much recently but that seems very low.

As other said, lakeview would be your best bet. Its still a good area so enjoy!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM

5,253 posts, read 4,650,140 times
You can certainly find apartments in those neighborhoods in your price point, but if you're at all looking for some jet set posh lifestyle in the city, they probably won't fit your standards. I don't really advocate fancy new places anyway, so move into some partially renovated old apartment building, save money, and live the true old-school Chicago tenement lifestyle.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

307 posts, read 522,302 times
I hope you are aware of the diff in chicago life style norm and where you are living now. You not only have to lock all doors, but if you don't have several locks you're asking for trouble. The gun violence is at an all time high, and that's sayin' something there and IL has the 5th highest unemployment rate in the country per Wall Street journal this past week. rents are higher now because places to rent are in demand. Foreclosures in IL put them at same or 6th in country, again, per wall street journal. I grew up in Chicago, around Wrig field... all the time. its the only neighborhood I'd consider right now. Of course, I haven't been back in 5 years now, so I suppose things could have changed. But from what I hear its worse... be careful, I'd like to suggest a 3-5 day fact finding trip before you jump and make a big move. Best of...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago