Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think it's Cermak.
Which would be cool...but as far as a Reese site goes, doesn't do a ton to improve the public transit, but at least you can get down there faster via the train and a bus ride wouldn't be too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Which would be cool...but as far as a Reese site goes, doesn't do a ton to improve the public transit, but at least you can get down there faster via the train and a bus ride wouldn't be too far.
Yeah and if they put the facility at the Reese site, you would think they would add a stop sooner than later.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah and if they put the facility at the Reese site, you would think they would add a stop sooner than later.
Exactly. I'm surprised they aren't putting one in at 29th either. I know it was part of the original research...4 stops at 18th, Cermak, 29th, and 43rd.

It's amazing though how much could be built up along the Green Line in some areas..

Old 01-25-2013, 12:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
From a "most people would be willing to walk it" distance standpoint, Reese really isn't anywhere near the Green Line. It's certainly not regular walking distance from where the new Cermak station is, and most of the Reese site is a 15 minute (or more) walk from both 26th and Wabash and 31st and Wabash, the only other two places where Green Line stations would be logical.

What would be the most logical would be to either create the "Gray Line" out of existing Metra Electric tracks that has been discussed by Mike Payne, or get Metra to allow a couple real BRT routes from the Loop and from Streeterville through Grant Park using the bus lanes adjacent to the Metra tracks in that trench just east of Michigan Avenue. Currently that goes all the way to McCormick Place, but it wouldn't be too difficult to push it through to south of the Stevenson to connect to the Reese site.

In a "if dreams could be reality" world, what I'd really love is a new lakefront 'L' (or subway) line going from Midway along the embankment next to 49th Street following the tracks north to Pershing after Halsted, across the Dan Ryan, stopping for transfers at the Indiana station, the north under Vincennes through Reese, under McCormick, under Grant Park, under Streeterville, through the Gold Coast (Fairbanks/Delaware/Clark), through Lincoln Park under Clark to Broadway all the way to Wilson, then west to the Brown Line. That's a monster line, but would be pretty cool. Not gonna happen, though. Parts could be useful, though. And some parts have even been considered before (even kind of existed before).

Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
From a "most people would be willing to walk it" distance standpoint, Reese really isn't anywhere near the Green Line. It's certainly not regular walking distance from where the new Cermak station is, and most of the Reese site is a 15 minute (or more) walk from both 26th and Wabash and 31st and Wabash, the only other two places where Green Line stations would be logical.

What would be the most logical would be to either create the "Gray Line" out of existing Metra Electric tracks that has been discussed by Mike Payne, or get Metra to allow a couple real BRT routes from the Loop and from Streeterville through Grant Park using the bus lanes adjacent to the Metra tracks in that trench just east of Michigan Avenue. Currently that goes all the way to McCormick Place, but it wouldn't be too difficult to push it through to south of the Stevenson to connect to the Reese site.

In a "if dreams could be reality" world, what I'd really love is a new lakefront 'L' (or subway) line going from Midway along the embankment next to 49th Street following the tracks north to Pershing after Halsted, across the Dan Ryan, stopping for transfers at the Indiana station, the north under Vincennes through Reese, under McCormick, under Grant Park, under Streeterville, through the Gold Coast (Fairbanks/Delaware/Clark), through Lincoln Park under Clark to Broadway all the way to Wilson, then west to the Brown Line. That's a monster line, but would be pretty cool. Not gonna happen, though. Parts could be useful, though. And some parts have even been considered before (even kind of existed before).
Good point, I've never walked it and didn't realize it would be a 15+ minute walk. I could handle it, but many people wouldn't.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

These are good points and I agree with you. IN a perfect world I absolutely wish this would happen. In reality, a lot of people would do it, you'd be surprised. I work in the western half of the Loop, but walk to the Red Line everyday which is probably about the same distance as what we're talking about here from 29th or 31st. I see a ton of people doing that walk. I guess it depends on how safe people think the area is to go ahead and walk it.

In a perfect world, I would absolutely love a Lakeshore line. Would be amazing. Remember though, there's old remnants of tracks underneath Streeterville and the areas you're talking about. Not sure what state they're in or what size cars they can accomodate but it's still there.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Theory vs reality (with a special heaping helping of Illinois awfulness...)

I think marothisu's post & emathias' about the former Army Warehouses from the WWII era that also served as CPS HQ for a while are SPOT ON -- the awfulness that exists on parts of nearer SW side could really benefit from something that does spark a new way of capitalizing on some of the pluses of those area that are MINUTES from the Loop, UIC, IIT & UofC . I have long said that I think smart investments and LEGITIMATE uses of TIF funds have the potential to throw off the 40 years of funky decline that hangs over parts of the city and makes most think of "the southside" as fit only for Bad Bad LeRoy Brown...

That is the hope.

The "theory" that the University of Illinois folks are going off is one of "geography" or "physical spaces". I am not sure I agree with this theory as I believe it is the exact same real estate driven mindset that has spawned the not so successful Northwestern Technology Incubator in Evanston, the mostly vacant office parks west of DuPage Co Airport north of Fermi Lab, similar strips of vacant offices north of Argonne along Cass Ave and even similar "belts" of once hopefilled office parks around Boston... Of course MAYBE the theories that drove these efforts did not fully think out the details of where young people like to live / hang out and I do have tto admit that none of these places have anywhere near the level of charm / character/ nightlife / affordability as the place emathias & marothisu have suggested SO MAYBE this "update" to the theory that includes a "hypothesis" about FUN will work. I really hope so!

The "reality" is that Chambana is a premier CS research site. There are some very successful firms that do trace their roots to the place and even a few actual certified successes -- Wolfram is the most well known but there are others. The real demand for the high level cutting edge CS type research is in reality pretty thin -- the folks that do postdocs at Argonne or Fermi or JPL or other places never get rich like some goofy maladajusted freak in the right place at the right time like Zuckerberg how had a DORM ROOM not a freaking "technology lab". The "pay off" for building these things is NEVER to the suckers that underwrite them (please ask NCSA how much it "made" off Mosiac vs how Marc Andressen "made out"... Is Tim Berners-Lee driving a Bugatti? How many people even know who Robert Cailliau or Vinton Cerf are???

Folks this is ILLINOIS -- Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » The man and his money the people that will benefit THE MOST from this can be expected to be the new generation of people like Bill Cellini (reporting to prison) Stuart Levine & Tony Rezko -- count on it: Stuart Levine, a key figure in Blagojevich case, gets 67 months - Chicago Sun-Times Tony Rezko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bill THE HAWG Cellinie reports to same Prison as Former Govenor Ryan There is no chance that the "vacuum" of these "fixers" has not been filled by pals of Rahm and Quinn. NONE. The contracts for everything from "Site Selection" to "general contractor" to "green toliet seat liner" will go ONLY to those with CONNECTIONS. Just as the costs for Millenium Park and every other single publically financed project in this state rockets wildly over budget you can be sure the loafers and glad handers will get their cut...

Decades of letting criminal like Madigan "write the laws" has made what was once abhorent pretty much fully legal. How Do You Solve the Bill Cellini Problem? - The 312 - November 2011 - Chicago Thank-you moron Chicago voters and thanks to GOP go-alongs with neither the brains nor guts to do something to stop this...

Quote:
Yeah. I think we are all in agreeance that they should build on the lower west side or near-ish south side. I wouldn't be surprised if they built something in Bronzeville either. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see them build in an already good neighborhood. I hope to god this doesn't happen. I would love to see this place in an area near McKinley Park, Bronzeville, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Douglas Park (North Lawndale). I would be kind of scared if it brought bad gentrification to some areas, but if it's in a not so good area, then that's not a bad thing. An area like Bridgeport or Pilsen though, even further gentrification would suck, but I think it's inevitable in the near future anyway.

Depending on how many people would be working at this thing, it could be a real boost for a neighborhoods economy. When you have labs like this too, just like with any major research college, you have some companies (ones with extra money) building small offices around that lab/organization just so they can have easy access to it every once in awhile too.

Last edited by chet everett; 01-25-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM

289 posts, read 396,455 times
Quote:
Here's an article about the same thing from somewhere where you don't need a membership:

U of I pursues Chicago center for research, startups, supercomputing - Chicago Sun-Times

Anyway, I love the idea. I really love that they're pushing tech here and this could really foster the talent that's in the midwest/Chicago and if good enough could keep some of that talent here instead of moving it out West (or some places East). I would be interested to see even more plans for this. Could be pretty big don't you think?
I was able to get both articles, maybe I signed up for the trib before.

As a Chicago native, UIUC alum, and current engineering prof at an R1 I've unfortunately taken a pessimistic view on these types of plans.

From what I could figure from the articles the plan is terribly underfunded with little focus. I'm sure that this isn't the reality of things and more just poor journalism, but just from the articles the focus of the institute seems to be in fields that would require a much greater investment than the 20 million suggested. For reference if you look at just the cost of new buildings like UofC is putting up like the Eckhardt Research Center they have committed over 200 million. That is a much more realistic number to get something big capable of getting off the ground. Can Chicago, Illinois, or the university system do that?

These plans are typically the brainchild of the bloated administrative staff, trustees, and govt officials who have taken too much control over universities and are short sighted. Their whole job is to develop these plans that are "me too" copies of what were successful models from places like Cambridge, Palo Alto, etc and now including the NYC Cornell project. The biggest problem here from the articles is that the source of short term funding is dependent upon federal grants, private donations, and industrial collaborations. Grant funding for professors in the big ten schools already skims on average ~40% for overhead and spending has stretched this so thin that things like pensions are causing serious strain. With grant success rates in the 7-20% range for most federal agencies these monies are not worth projecting to cover operating costs. In the same vein donations can't, and shouldn't, be counted on as revenue sources. I know some great tech profs who are leaving Illinois after the pension debacle and the budget cuts. I'd much rather see this money spent for retention and recruitment on campus at UIUC or used to strengthen the UIUC and UIC ties then on this project.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Amen!

Sadly I agree with everything Toroid has posted EXCEPT for their hope that it is poor journalism that makes the plans sound incomplete and under-funded -- that deadly combination of half-baked hopes and money directed not to what will matter but some smoke filled back room of politically connected donors (generally in the construction sector...) explains why we have an abundance of monumental public buildings in the state yet a paucity of successful initiatives to really bridge the academic to the industrial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
I was able to get both articles, maybe I signed up for the trib before.

As a Chicago native, UIUC alum, and current engineering prof at an R1 I've unfortunately taken a pessimistic view on these types of plans.

From what I could figure from the articles the plan is terribly underfunded with little focus. I'm sure that this isn't the reality of things and more just poor journalism, but just from the articles the focus of the institute seems to be in fields that would require a much greater investment than the 20 million suggested. For reference if you look at just the cost of new buildings like UofC is putting up like the Eckhardt Research Center they have committed over 200 million. That is a much more realistic number to get something big capable of getting off the ground. Can Chicago, Illinois, or the university system do that?

These plans are typically the brainchild of the bloated administrative staff, trustees, and govt officials who have taken too much control over universities and are short sighted. Their whole job is to develop these plans that are "me too" copies of what were successful models from places like Cambridge, Palo Alto, etc and now including the NYC Cornell project. The biggest problem here from the articles is that the source of short term funding is dependent upon federal grants, private donations, and industrial collaborations. Grant funding for professors in the big ten schools already skims on average ~40% for overhead and spending has stretched this so thin that things like pensions are causing serious strain. With grant success rates in the 7-20% range for most federal agencies these monies are not worth projecting to cover operating costs. In the same vein donations can't, and shouldn't, be counted on as revenue sources. I know some great tech profs who are leaving Illinois after the pension debacle and the budget cuts. I'd much rather see this money spent for retention and recruitment on campus at UIUC or used to strengthen the UIUC and UIC ties then on this project.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 23,765 times
> I wouldn't be surprised if they built something in Bronzeville either.

There's already a plan to build a new innovation center at IIT that should start in March I think.
Mayor Emanuel, IIT President John Anderson Announce Innovation Center at IIT Main Campus (Video + Photos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago