Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

If they put it somewhat near to the Cineplace Movie Studios and new Lagunitas Brewery, that would be interesting...The Lab would of course be way more reason for growth than the other two of course.

Where is most of the vacant land around there (IL Medical District) in reality though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Oh yeah, you're right. That's the obvious location for this center. What used to occupy all that vacant land? Public housing?
There is vacant land from former CHA sites, however that land is still owned by CHA to be redeveloped as mixed income housing. I think the IL Medical District itself has land available. I think they sold some to build a Costco recently.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Oh yeah, you're right. That's the obvious location for this center. What used to occupy all that vacant land? Public housing?
Regular neighborhood - that's why the blocks are defined. The University just forced everyone out (nice to be the government I guess). A fictional movie that references the process as a side-plot is Primal Fear.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You mean like North Lawndale/Douglas Park? hah ;-)
lol - sure.

Or that riverfront land 41.864064, -87.632729 - Google Maps

Or, actually, re-use of a lot of those warehouses - like the one that just burned in Bridgeport - would be good, too. It's be awesome to see those warehouses by McKinley Park turn into a huge tech center.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
lol - sure.

Or that riverfront land 41.864064, -87.632729 - Google Maps

Or, actually, re-use of a lot of those warehouses - like the one that just burned in Bridgeport - would be good, too. It's be awesome to see those warehouses by McKinley Park turn into a huge tech center.
Yeah. I think we are all in agreeance that they should build on the lower west side or near-ish south side. I wouldn't be surprised if they built something in Bronzeville either. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see them build in an already good neighborhood. I hope to god this doesn't happen. I would love to see this place in an area near McKinley Park, Bronzeville, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Douglas Park (North Lawndale). I would be kind of scared if it brought bad gentrification to some areas, but if it's in a not so good area, then that's not a bad thing. An area like Bridgeport or Pilsen though, even further gentrification would suck, but I think it's inevitable in the near future anyway.

Depending on how many people would be working at this thing, it could be a real boost for a neighborhoods economy. When you have labs like this too, just like with any major research college, you have some companies (ones with extra money) building small offices around that lab/organization just so they can have easy access to it every once in awhile too.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah. I think we are all in agreeance that they should build on the lower west side or near-ish south side. I wouldn't be surprised if they built something in Bronzeville either. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see them build in an already good neighborhood. I hope to god this doesn't happen. I would love to see this place in an area near McKinley Park, Bronzeville, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Douglas Park (North Lawndale). I would be kind of scared if it brought bad gentrification to some areas, but if it's in a not so good area, then that's not a bad thing. An area like Bridgeport or Pilsen though, even further gentrification would suck, but I think it's inevitable in the near future anyway.

Depending on how many people would be working at this thing, it could be a real boost for a neighborhoods economy. When you have labs like this too, just like with any major research college, you have some companies (ones with extra money) building small offices around that lab/organization just so they can have easy access to it every once in awhile too.
Michael Reese site?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Michael Reese site?
Exactly..I think that might be one potential place although as we know, that site is pretty "hot" with developers/architects isn't it?

It's not PERFECT for public transit, but when you think about it, it's halfway between the Loop and U of Chicago, it's near IIT, it's near McCormick Place hotels too...and an area that the city hoped would be the "next great thing" almost .

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Exactly..I think that might be one potential place although as we know, that site is pretty "hot" with developers/architects isn't it?

It's not PERFECT for public transit, but when you think about it, it's halfway between the Loop and U of Chicago, it's near IIT, it's near McCormick Place hotels too...and an area that the city hoped would be the "next great thing" almost .
Aren't they adding a new Green Line stop somewhere down there? I don't remember exactly where it is.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Aren't they adding a new Green Line stop somewhere down there? I don't remember exactly where it is.
I know there were talks about adding one at the former 18th street stop, Cermak, and 43rd Street for the Green Line. All those used to be former stops of course. If they build up the Reese site, then they'd probably need to build a stop at 29th street I'd think (there used to be one there). The area around this is pretty much empty lots, so it wouldn't be that difficult I'd think.. I think 31st street could do the trick too...which used to be a station too.

It's kind of sad to think about on the Green Line and a few other lines how many stations there once were...how many of those are closed now and gone. I think it's funny to think about how the Brown Line once went to Michigan Avenue too If only they'd add street cars again, but that's another story.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

I think it's Cermak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago