U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,035,969 times

Advertisements

Hometown originally is Cleveland, so I'll go there.

The Twin Cities are awesome too, great places to live
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM

5,656 posts, read 18,248,384 times
I liked Cincinnati when I visited there.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 PM

240 posts, read 424,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
How exactly are you defining the Midwest? I really like, for example, Dallas, Louisville, and Pittsburgh, which are not in classically Midwestern states, but have substantial Midwestern cultural influences, and are arguably more culturally Midwestern than they are Western, Southern, or Northeastern. Or how about Toronto? It's on the Great Lakes, of course, and has strong cultural ties to places like Detroit, Cleveland, and Chicago, but does being in Canada disqualify it? If Toronto counts, then that'd certainly be my choice. An amazing city.

If none of these marginally Midwestern cities count, then I'd say St. Louis. Not necessarily a place I'd want to live, but a fun and interesting place to visit, at least at times of year other than mid-summer. Lots of history, nice architecture, good food. The Arch is sort of overrated, but it still is a pretty cool landmark. Seeing a Blues or Cardinals game is always fun, especially when they're playing one of the Chicago teams (I'venever been to a Rams game there).
Fair question. Here's the Midwest as I'd define it:

GREAT LAKES
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

GREAT PLAINES
North Dakota
South Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Kansas

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM

38,704 posts, read 95,326,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Fair question. Here's the Midwest as I'd define it:

GREAT LAKES
Ohio
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

GREAT PLAINES
North Dakota
South Dakota
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Kansas
In other words, "the Midwest."

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,178,488 times
I'm a big Midwest fan. I'm from Saint Louis and of course I love the city for the food and its neighborhoods like Central West End, The Loft district in downtown, Soulard, Tower Grove South East and the Hill. I also love Cleveland because gives me a same vibe as a Saint Louis as well as Detroit. I know many people talk bad about this city I still love the architecture and its a city for cool people. Minneapolis on the other hand is great too in its own way. No rust belt vibe but still just as good as others I mentioned but different. It seems very prosperous instead of soulful.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM

15,322 posts, read 21,319,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Minneapolis on the other hand is great too in its own way. No rust belt vibe but still just as good as others I mentioned but different. It seems very prosperous instead of soulful.
There isn't much rust belt vibe there as it was never a rust belt city, but I'd say there's a lot of areas that are less prosperous. The thing is that the population for the MSA is over 3.5 million, but Minneapolis and St. Paul together only account for maybe 600,000-650,000 of it. Most of everyone else is in suburbs. House prices throughout most suburbs and most of Minnesota are cheap. My parents built a house in 1991, 3600 sq feet, Minnesota with a quarter acre back yard. The price? $175,000. Kind of ridiculous for that size of house. You can find that big of a house in the suburbs still for $200,000-$300,000. So it appears prosperous and people do make some money, but it appears more prosperous than it really is.

Anyway, there's some interesting areas of the area. My sister went to the Minneapolis College of Art and Design in the Whittier neighborhood. It's considered not a great neighborhood as she told me, but it might have gotten better recently. There are definitely areas that are not prosperous there and have more soul. You might also be surprised to find out that the area has one of the largest immigrant populations of Somalians and Hmong (i.e. Laotian, Cambodian, etc) in the nation.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM

4,622 posts, read 6,390,804 times
St. Louis, Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,163,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Hey everyone. This one's just for fun and curiosity. Besides Chicago, what's your favorite city (we'll say population >200,000) in the Midwest? It can be your favorite to visit, it can have some other emotional connection, etc.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go with St. Louis. It has some terrific, unique neighborhoods (Soulard, Lafayette Square, Central West End, The Hill), with great architecture. I feel a very different vibe from Chicago. It's almost more residential with a neighborhood tavern at every corner than thriving business districts. It's just an interesting, modest contrast to Chicago.

I also highly value Milwaukee and Detroit. I'm sure most of you have visited Milwaukee, but I would highly suggest checking out Detroit. It's definitely a struggling city in a lot of areas, but it has a ton of energy, and some great places to eat, drink. Also, incredible architecture downtown.

All right, pick your city and tell us why!

Minneapolis! Clean, among the greenest in the country (watch out Portland), cool architecture. German and Scandinavian heritage. Favorite Midwestern Hood has to be Over the Rhine, which is in Cincinnati, but I digress. Also Prince is from there and Prince is the bomb diggity.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

32,459 posts, read 3,193,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Minneapolis! Clean, among the greenest in the country (watch out Portland), cool architecture. German and Scandinavian heritage. Favorite Midwestern Hood has to be Over the Rhine, which is in Cincinnati, but I digress. Also Prince is from there and Prince is the bomb diggity.
Yes, Minneapolis is very green, plus it is recognized as a best place for bike trails within the city and bike sharing.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:50 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,607,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Yes, Minneapolis is very green, plus it is recognized as a best place for bike trails within the city and bike sharing.
Green when it's not covered by snow, that is. One of the few places where visiting Chicago in the winter is an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago