U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,631,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
you're clearly wrong.
ok.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,837,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Missouri was never apart of the confederacy. It was always a part of the union and same with kentucky.
Technically, I suppose, but fierce battles were fought between the free state of Kansas and Confederates in Missouri.

Quote:
Kentucky's Louisville is fairly midwestern
I disagree completely. Even well across the state line into Southern Indiana there are thick Southern accents. It doesn't really start to feel like the Midwest until you get close to Indy, IMO.

Quote:
Also Kansas is not very midwestern or southern.
Southern, no. Midwestern, yes.

Quote:
Its very much like wyoming and montana in being a great plain state.
Kansas is like Wyoming and Montana? Are you sure you've been to any of these places? For starters, Wyoming and Montana have these things called the Rocky Mountains.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
St. Louis and Kansas City are definitely Midwestern cities but I'd consider the Ozarks and the Bootheel to be more Southern.
Yep, that fits with my experience.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM

38,704 posts, read 95,631,057 times
Missouri wasn't "technically" not part of the Confederacy. It wasn't, period. This isn't something that can be argued at the margins or subject to interpretation. Either it was or it was not. And it was not.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM

240 posts, read 426,427 times
Guys, I appreciate the spirited conversation, but we're getting a little off-topic here. For the sake of this post, we'll assume that Missouri is part of the Midwest, and that Montana has been annexed by Canada.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Missouri wasn't "technically" not part of the Confederacy. It wasn't, period. This isn't something that can be argued at the margins or subject to interpretation. Either it was or it was not. And it was not.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM

240 posts, read 426,427 times
Personally I can't say that Missouri wasn't technically not part of the Confederacy. BAM! Just triple-negatived your *sses! OK, back to topic.

By the way, Minneapolis is a terrific city as noted earlier. Definitely agree that it's without much of the Rust Belt grit as the rest of the big Midwest cities. The polish is nice though and it's a killer eat/drink town.

St. Paul has some nice neighborhoods, but the downtown is pretty quiet. Hopefully that'll change when the light rail line is completed.

Madison is just terrific. Being 30, I guess I wish it didn't have so much of a college vibe (being an Illinois alum doesn't help either), but the downtown is really lively and charming.

Hoping to make my way back to Cleveland this year. Spent a couple days there a few years ago and liked it, but mostly stayed downtown and am hoping to get out to Tremont, Little Italy, and the West Side market.

I love the Midwest.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 PM

15,475 posts, read 26,946,516 times
I have lived in MOST of the Midwestern cities mentioned.

I liked living in Cleveland and while the people were very friendly and the cost of living was the best, there is less to do in the city than most other cities.

I loved living in the Detroit area, especially being on an international border, BUT the racial divisions are very substantial and there is a defeatist attitude that permeates the area.

St. Louis has a great deal of things to do and I had a blast while living there but the city vs. county thing, the east dise-westside divisions was pretty difficult to get over with.

Cincinnati is interesting but progress never seems to get there.

Madison reminds me of living near Oberlin, Ohio a decade ago. Let's see, if it is Monday - what is the protest of the day?

My choice would be Minneapolis - St. Paul. The housing stock is in great shape. The social scene is very good - for people of all ages.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM

875 posts, read 1,233,336 times
Kansas City.

Even though it is somewhat disconnected from Chicago.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,130,997 times
I believe it s one of the Wiki hat defines the Midwest from Ohio to the Dakotas. Anyway since Canada has Montana, I'll take Tulsa. It is a beautiful city that is called by some "the art capital of Oklahoma", and it's in a historically interesting state. I don't like any big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago