U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM

191 posts, read 336,677 times

Advertisements

Only here for Chicago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:55 AM

502 posts, read 659,853 times
Milwaukee. I went to college there. Quirky little city.

Also, haven't been there in a while, but the Twin Cities sound very interesting.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:21 AM

4,645 posts, read 4,870,375 times
I'll go with Minneapolis followed by Milwaukee and St. Louis.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:37 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,719,044 times
For the record, Missouri did have some troops fighting for the Confederacy, but more fought for the Union, and the state officially remained in the Union.

Wyoming is not a Great Plains state; it's a Rocky Mountain state.

Back to topic: I like Madison, as far as a 2nd choice is concerned. MSP and Milwaukee are solid, as well. St. Louis is pretty interesting, but I'll bet that the summers are awful..

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM

6,929 posts, read 10,593,853 times
I think the Twin Cities have a lot going for them and a lot to offer, and are probably the next best place in the area after Chicago, St. Louis is a close third.

Interestingly enough, I think Indianapolis is most poised to become a major metro in the area. The city is growing at a strong rate, has some of the most affluent suburbs in the country, a lot in the way of major sports, including the NFL, NBA, WBA, AAA Baseball, a minor league hockey and soccer team, and is surrounded by a lot of good colleges, including Weselyan University, IUPUI, Purdue University, Indiana University, etc. A mass expansion of the mass transit in Indianapolis is underway, to include overhauled bus routes and a good chance of light rail in the area. The city and state both have a balanced budget and seem to have no problem attracting more businesses and people. Also, Indy has Circle Centre Mall in the downtown area, which is Simon's hallmark of Malls, since Simon is headquartered in Indianapolis.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,299,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'll go with Minneapolis followed by Milwaukee and St. Louis.
This is my list as well.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

240 posts, read 426,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think the Twin Cities have a lot going for them and a lot to offer, and are probably the next best place in the area after Chicago, St. Louis is a close third.

Interestingly enough, I think Indianapolis is most poised to become a major metro in the area. The city is growing at a strong rate, has some of the most affluent suburbs in the country, a lot in the way of major sports, including the NFL, NBA, WBA, AAA Baseball, a minor league hockey and soccer team, and is surrounded by a lot of good colleges, including Weselyan University, IUPUI, Purdue University, Indiana University, etc. A mass expansion of the mass transit in Indianapolis is underway, to include overhauled bus routes and a good chance of light rail in the area. The city and state both have a balanced budget and seem to have no problem attracting more businesses and people. Also, Indy has Circle Centre Mall in the downtown area, which is Simon's hallmark of Malls, since Simon is headquartered in Indianapolis.
You know, this is interesting. I think you're the first in the thread to say Indy. Was there for the first time back in November. And while I liked it, my beef is that outside of downtown it basically felt like one big suburb. I have a friend who loved living there though and wasn't a big fan of Cincinnati while he lived there. I hope to go back next November and spend a little more time checking out Indianapolis.

Also, nobody mentioned Columbus, which I believe is the fastest growing of the big Midwest cities.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM

4,016 posts, read 6,511,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
You know, this is interesting. I think you're the first in the thread to say Indy. Was there for the first time back in November. And while I liked it, my beef is that outside of downtown it basically felt like one big suburb. I have a friend who loved living there though and wasn't a big fan of Cincinnati while he lived there. I hope to go back next November and spend a little more time checking out Indianapolis.

Also, nobody mentioned Columbus, which I believe is the fastest growing of the big Midwest cities.
Columbus is similar to Indy in that it's a small core town surrounded by miles and miles of suburban sprawl. Although parts of that small inner core are certainly historic and interesting.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,608,340 times
I really like Omaha,

its a true great plains city, its small but has some nice neighborhoods like The Old Market and Midtown Crossing.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM

6,929 posts, read 10,593,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post

Yes, I think I was the first and only person to mention Indianapolis so far. Indianapolis and Columbus are almost like twin cities. Both state capitals, both almost exactly the same size, and both are growing at the same rate.

I've been to downtown Indy, and it's quite nice for a city its size. They have a great mall, the impressive monument circle, a couple of professional sports teams, and the city is on the rise, adding more buildings and businesses all the time.

However, I agree with your other complaint, outside of downtown Indy is very suburban. It's just not a densely populated area, and I don't think it will be, for a very long time. Indiana is a more laid back and conservative state, people like their space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago