Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times

Advertisements

Being near the lake is a huge plus if you are a runner or a biker, too. The trail goes on for 18 miles along the lake front, and you would also be very close to Lincoln Park.

There may be some spill off from other public housing into Old Town, but what remains of Cabrini is really far away--it ends at Oak Street.

Anyway, if you want an indicator of how desirable the area is, just try to buy a two or three bedroom house anywhere around there, and see if it's in your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 14,853 times
Yeah if it weren't for the remaining stuff on Sedgewick, I probably wouldnt even be asking the question... but the advice and info is always good to have. I tend to have bad luck with stupid random things happening to me, so it is a concern. I'm thinking I'm probably being overly cautious, which I guess isn't a bad thing.

Marothisu - What's the name of the lounge? I will definitely need a chill spot to have a drink or two after work.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman999 View Post
Marothisu - What's the name of the lounge? I will definitely need a chill spot to have a drink or two after work.
It's in a restaurant called Le Colonial on Rush Street right south of Oak. When you walk in, go up the stairs to the second floor. The first floor is white tablecloth typical crap. Upstairs has some tables but there's a bunch of SE asian trees up there and some couches with a dark wood bar. The place is more "upscale" feeling, and the drinks aren't cheap but they aren't out of this world expensive (although compared to KC they might be). I used to go all the time and I have a friend who still bartends there, don't go there a lot anymore though.

When I mean chill, I mean dim lights, candles, playing chill music. I actually discovered Thievery Corporation here (they play some similar stuff, although sometimes it's not as "cool"..really depends). Some celebs will come here to get away from people too sometimes.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Yeah if it weren't for the remaining stuff on Sedgewick, I probably wouldnt even be asking the question... but the advice and info is always good to have. I tend to have bad luck with stupid random things happening to me, so it is a concern. I'm thinking I'm probably being overly cautious, which I guess isn't a bad thing.

You would never have any reason to go west of Wells into those neighborhoods around North and Clybourn... take a walk down Wells and you will laugh. It could not be more yuppified. It's like someone put a little yuppie town in the middle of Chicago.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I'll check out Le Colonial. Do you think I'm making a mistake by going for this area instead of Wicker Park for a first year of living in the city? I plan on staying for a while... plenty of time to move to other neighborhoods once I get a better feel for things.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM

Well, looks like I wont be living at 1255 Sandburg after all... Just received an email from the Landlord stating that he is going to hold out for tenants who are willing to pay more. This will be the second time he has tried to raise the rent - after I had already verbally agreed to sign the lease and submitted to a credit and background check (which has a negative effect on your credit rating).

Old 02-07-2013, 06:57 PM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
Quote:
Well, looks like I wont be living at 1255 Sandburg after all... Just received an email from the Landlord stating that he is going to hold out for tenants who are willing to pay more. This will be the second time he has tried to raise the rent - after I had already verbally agreed to sign the lease and submitted to a credit and background check (which has a negative effect on your credit rating).
Man, that's messed up. You should tell that guy to go hang out on sedgewick with an iPhone and a rolex at 4 in the morning this Saturday! Boooo!!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
Rents have been moving up in Chicago.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Yeah that's messed up, but it gives you an opportunity to seek out other places still.. Have you looked at rent.com for apartments too? It's good for the places run by a management company. If you want to stay in the same area, it's good for that.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Rents have been moving up in Chicago.
LOL it's funny because my rent went down by $60/month last year in gold coast. Probably because my building isn't brand new and now there are better buildings in River North and Streeterville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago