Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times

Advertisements

Half you rich people don't know the hardships of working minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
The lessons that I personally learned from working a minimum wage job was simple: get more skills and find a better job.

The lack of logic that is part of the problem with Illinois' political higher ups of the (D) variety is clear: just as it is utterly IMPOSSIBLE magically legislate away actual DECADES OF FUNDING SHORTFALLS for the pension plans that they decided TO ROB so to is it abundantly clear that artificial manipulation of the the minumum wage makes Illinois a LESS ATTRACTIVE place for employers and that ultimately HURTS WORKERS who most need low skill jobs -- the horrendous unemployment of the low skilled masses if the urban underclass should be lesson enough of the problems the Illinois already has. The stupidity of Quinn to further lengthen the list of reasons that employers should avoid doing business here is appalling.

The efforts of firms that are stuck here to slash hours and force more work out of fewer workers will surely result in greater disparity. The people so desperate to stay in minimum wage jobs are going to have get used to ever goofier work schedules that make it increasingly difficult to have any kind of family life. It is becoming routine for retail / food service jobs to schedule the absolute minimum number of workers and add as few hours as possible and only add a few extra workers to the "peak shifts" which they literally schedule out in fractions of hour -- being told to clock out at exactly 1PM after lunch crowd subsides and being allowed to clock-in at 11:30 even at $10/hr results in daily earnings that are closer to third world than anything that employers less burdened with governmental interference would have dreamed up on their own...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Minumum wage should be based on productivity of the employee. I would expect a minumum of 3 X the return on an employees income. If you want to increase your pay to $10 an hour then your productivity at a minumum has to be $30 an hour coming into the business. Realize that the paycheck is only one cost to the employer.

Personally I do not like minumum wage. When I was younger I didn't like it because I was a hard worker and didn't like someone telling me I was only worth X per hour, especially since many of the other employees were doing their best to get out of doing any work. I always thought that if I was bringing it in then I should get more of it. That is how it should go today.

I bet that if we made income more competitive than those that got it done at work would end up making much more than those that slack off. The fact is that many employers would be able to get rid of the slackers because their best workers would be doing so much more. I remember reading about this kid that went into a grocery store back in the 60's I think. He wanted a job stocking the floor and helping out at the store. The manager said he allready had all the kids that he needed and couldn't offer this guy a job. The kid told the manager that he would work for free for a week and at the end of the week if the manager still didn't think he would be a benefit to the store that he would leave. This manager decided to take him up on that. At the end of the week he was able to let three of his other guys go, this kid was that productive.

That is what I am talking about. Look in this country no one owes us a thing. You do not have a right to a job. You do not have a right to a specific amount of pay, or you shouldn't anyway. You do have the right and ability to prove your self in the work place.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Default Great example, sadly completely at odds with the mindest of Ilinois politicians...

The driving force of politicians in Illinois (and sadly too many on the national level) is not about productivity but simply "paying off" the lazy stooges that will show up at the polls.

In many settings the hard workers are rewarded -- some of the most successful fast food places are run with these priniciples that one well trained motivated worker is worth as much as many more folks that "just show up" go to an In n' Out Burger or a ChickFilA and you can see the pride / efficiency of the staff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Minumum wage should be based on productivity of the employee. I would expect a minumum of 3 X the return on an employees income. If you want to increase your pay to $10 an hour then your productivity at a minumum has to be $30 an hour coming into the business. Realize that the paycheck is only one cost to the employer.

Personally I do not like minumum wage. When I was younger I didn't like it because I was a hard worker and didn't like someone telling me I was only worth X per hour, especially since many of the other employees were doing their best to get out of doing any work. I always thought that if I was bringing it in then I should get more of it. That is how it should go today.

I bet that if we made income more competitive than those that got it done at work would end up making much more than those that slack off. The fact is that many employers would be able to get rid of the slackers because their best workers would be doing so much more. I remember reading about this kid that went into a grocery store back in the 60's I think. He wanted a job stocking the floor and helping out at the store. The manager said he allready had all the kids that he needed and couldn't offer this guy a job. The kid told the manager that he would work for free for a week and at the end of the week if the manager still didn't think he would be a benefit to the store that he would leave. This manager decided to take him up on that. At the end of the week he was able to let three of his other guys go, this kid was that productive.

That is what I am talking about. Look in this country no one owes us a thing. You do not have a right to a job. You do not have a right to a specific amount of pay, or you shouldn't anyway. You do have the right and ability to prove your self in the work place.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

And that is why im a Conservative.
Dont like something? get off your lazy @ss and do something about it. sitting there complaining isnt going to get you far.
Nothing is free except the air you breathe.
Sometimes i think people need to find out the hard way to learn from it and take a lesson in human responsiability.
Also this minimum wage hike to 10$ an hour is probably going to drop Illinois below California in business friendlyness. Thats just wow thats not an achievement you want and with Indiana being like #5 in business climate and Right to Work...............
Quinnyhead is such an idiot and ironically he is the most Hated Governor in the nation and yet in Indiana Mitch Daniels has an approval rating over 60%.
Talk about night and day.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
pull yourself up by the bootstraps GOP boiler plater is the worst...not surprising Chet is a fan.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And that is why im a Conservative.
Dont like something? get off your lazy @ss and do something about it. sitting there complaining isnt going to get you far.
Nothing is free except the air you breathe.
Sometimes i think people need to find out the hard way to learn from it and take a lesson in human responsiability.
Also this minimum wage hike to 10$ an hour is probably going to drop Illinois below California in business friendlyness. Thats just wow thats not an achievement you want and with Indiana being like #5 in business climate and Right to Work...............
Quinnyhead is such an idiot and ironically he is the most Hated Governor in the nation and yet in Indiana Mitch Daniels has an approval rating over 60%.
Talk about night and day.
What type of job do you have? How much do you make? How old are you?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Mitch Daniels has an approval rating over 60%.
You don't even know who your Governor is.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM

230 posts, read 385,891 times
It's proven time and time again that raising the minimum wage will help the economy, not to mention help all of those underemployed or fully employed for wages that one would hardly call "living."

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
It's proven time and time again that raising the minimum wage will help the economy, not to mention help all of those underemployed or fully employed for wages that one would hardly call "living."
Got any evidence of that?

Like I said make the minimum wage $3,000,000/hr or make it $50/hr or $0.02/hr and NONE of that makes any sense WHATSOEVER in an economy that is NOT constrained by "war policies" but by the reality of "GLOBAL COMPETITION"...

A Brief History of the Minimum Wage - TIME

The reality is that IDIOTS like Blago that pander to low-information voters have left HORDES of people without work -- Illinois Minimum Wage Hike Is Costing Jobs | Heartlander Magazine

Last edited by chet everett; 02-08-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago