Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,245 times

Advertisements

Good people of Chicago,

Ex-pat East-coaster here (spent most of my adult life in Philly and New York, and grew up outside of Boston) now living in Los Angeles (on year 7) and thinking maybe it's time for a change. Year round wonderful weather has its advantages but the set-up out here is something I have struggled with, and while there are nice people to be found L.A. also has it's share of superficiality just by nature of the people who are drawn out here to be a part of the industry.

That said, I have heard wonderful things about Chicago. I've visited a couple of times primarily for business and am planning a leisure visit. But wanted to hear what Chicago natives and transplants might have to offer about relocating there after having lived someplace like Los Angeles. I hear Chicago has an amazing culture and that the people are a lot friendlier and more grounded in reality. I'm really seeking more community so would love to hear what you all have to say about that aspect of Chicago life. I also hear the cost of living is going to get me more for my dollar than it does here. The one downside that really concerns me after living in 72 degree weather for seven years is...will I be able to survive the winters? Philly and NY winters are, from what I hear, different from Chicago winters in that they're not as severe.

So what do you Chicago peeps have to offer in light of the above? Thanks for reading my post and taking the time to respond in advance.

Last edited by Ex-Pat East Coast Mutt; 02-09-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add additional question for comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
People have survived living in Chicago for a lifetime. What you "hear" may not be your reality. The Midwest is not Philly. Winter is winter. It can be cold and gloomy for months. The closer one lives to the arctic region, the colder the air and the shorter the summer. Therefore winter in Montana, or even LV, is very different than in Chicago or even 200 miles south of the Great Lakes.

San Diego looks and feels different than LA; so does Palm Springs.

How well one adapts to inland living depends upon ones attachment to the ocean. The vibe of every city is different. Hollywood is to LA what Broadway is to NYC. and what sports are to Chicago. When the eye candy is removed, I find large cities boring, very much alike, and not easy to escape on a whim. There are only five Alpha Cities in the U.S.. If I wanted an entirely different experience I would investigate NOLA - especially if I prefered sunshine to ice and snow. .

Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Indeed, Chicago is cheaper than LA (usually). As far as the culture, it depends on what you're looking for really. I guess "amazing" is in the eye of the beholder. There is certainly a lot of stuff to do here (especially in the summers) and the people on average are pretty nice. However, there are some big time *******s out there like any other city. I'd say there are a number of Chicagoans who don't beat around the bush. I'd say what you heard is half true....there are a lot of nice ones out there and then there's a lot of "I'm going to tell it to you how it is" types too ala NYC.

Weather? Well, it's obviously not LA/socal weather in the winter. Actually the summers are quite nice and really active here. The winters can be dark and a little gloomy (portland, seattle, cleveland, etc are worse for the sun). The winter is a little overblown. Yeah it can get cold, but not absolutely horrible. I'll put it this way. There's people living from all over the world here. There's people who live in areas that are year round much hotter than LA (yes, even the valley sometimes). I have friends from Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Morocco, India (the hot parts), Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc and Los Angeles, Miami, Texas, etc and you know...they all survive here just fine. If you know how to dress for it, you'll be a lot better. In reality, the winters are only like 7-10 degrees colder than NYC on average.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 AM

178 posts, read 371,055 times
I grew up in the Boston area and have been out here since '97. I've been to several European and American cities in my travels and can confidently say that this is my favorite place. It's huge, but manageable after you get used to things. There are thousands of opportunities for music, art, eating, bars, sports etc (I'm sure you already know that). If you can't find something you like, it's your fault. It is has a lot more in common with east coast cities than that detached sprawliness that you're living in now. If you liked living in Boston.....well, the North Side on its own is larger in area and people. If you like and are comfortable with New York, you may not like Chicago as much because it isn't a total 24 hour city (but I think that's a good thing). I can say that Chicago winters are a little more extreme than Boston......by maybe an average of 5-7 degrees, so I guess that makes them worse than NYC and Philly (though I have never spent full winters in either place). I personally think that the summers are worse than the winters out here because the heat is sooooooo oppressive and you can always layer in the winter. Anyone who tells me they like NYC, Philly, or Boston usually ends up liking/loving Chicago.
And the real estate out here in certain areas is a steal.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Here is an interesting thread -- //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...est-coast.html

Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
People have survived living in Chicago for a lifetime. What you "hear" may not be your reality. The Midwest is not Philly. Winter is winter. It can be cold and gloomy for months. The closer one lives to the arctic region, the colder the air and the shorter the summer. Therefore winter in Montana, or even LV, is very different than in Chicago or even 200 miles south of the Great Lakes.

San Diego looks and feels different than LA; so does Palm Springs.

How well one adapts to inland living depends upon ones attachment to the ocean. The vibe of every city is different. Hollywood is to LA what Broadway is to NYC. and what sports are to Chicago. When the eye candy is removed, I find large cities boring, very much alike, and not easy to escape on a whim. There are only five Alpha Cities in the U.S.. If I wanted an entirely different experience I would investigate NOLA - especially if I prefered sunshine to ice and snow. .
New Orleans has its own weather problems--namely stultifying heat/humidity for a good 5 months, and a propensity to attract hurricanes, so it's hardly Paradise on Earth..

Outside of the weather differences, you can substitute Lake Michigan for the Pacific Ocean, and spend much less for housing, and ride the subway lines ( some are 24/7), and save on auto wear/tear/expense. The OP should visit for a few days, even a week if possible , and get some first-hand vibes on Chicago.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM

93 posts, read 265,056 times
Other than the higher susceptibility to bouts of very cold weather (which several posters mentioned above), the only major winter weather difference I noticed in Chicago vs. the east coast was more overcast days. On the east coast I've noticed it tends to be sunny unless it's going to rain or snow, while in Chicago it can be cloudy in the winter for weeks straight. (This bothers some people more than others but personally I didn't mind it so much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: