U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:50 PM

4,253 posts, read 4,471,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird4Prez View Post
Lincoln Park: The Gaslight on Montana and Racine........it has gotten a little bit snootier as the years go by, but it is a great place to have a few
Lake View: Jake's Pub on Oakdale and Clark is perhaps my all-time favorite place to go with friends. It really hasn't been touched by the changes Lake View has undergone......completely unpretentious.
Wicker Park: Harder to find a normal bar. The Northside Bar and Grill used to be really nice. It's on North and Damen. I honestly don't spend a lot of time in Wicker Park.
Bucktown: I second the Map Room (Armitage and Hoyne) and would add the Green Eye on Western and Milwaukee......just under the Western Blue Line stop. I don't frequent Bucktown as much as I used to, but that place was cool a few years back.
Still nice, food is terrible though, as in "I wish I would have gone to Wendy's and eaten it while walking here" terrible. If you don't plan on eating, it's a reasonable option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,914,907 times
I'd also include the Southern end of Logan Square with Wicker Park/Bucktown. I regularly meet friends from out of town at Revolution Brewing, and half the time they're talking to someone at the bar when I get there. As others have mentioned Map Room is good, and I'd also add Quencher's, Lemmings, Green Eye, and Small Bar (Division) to the list. I'm a local and have definitely spoken to random people visiting Chicago at all those of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Still nice, food is terrible though, as in "I wish I would have gone to Wendy's and eaten it while walking here" terrible. If you don't plan on eating, it's a reasonable option.
The Northside is definitely OK, but yeah, eat before going. The take out window at Big Star is awesome for that - $3 small tacos and picnic benches to sit at and wolf them down (they have heat lamps in the winter).

Old 02-12-2013, 06:43 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,582,503 times
Small Bar is cool too..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM

928 posts, read 1,637,412 times
Oh my Jesus... I know everyone's tastes are different, but my head nearly exploded when I read The Blue Line (!!!!) as a suggestion. That place is simply the worst. Big Star is is kind of douchey, but I can't complain too much about a place where I can get tacos and whiskey in the same room. Cash only, though, which can be annoying. Of the bars mentioned, Silver Cloud is my favorite. I'm not sure if I'd consider it "fun" though. It's very low key and doesn't give in to the "cooler than thou" vibe that a lot of the area has going on, which I like, but if someone's expecting a party, skip it.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,946,992 times
What's wrong with Blue Line? I'm no regular, but I end up there a few times a year and I've always liked it fine.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 6,334,977 times
Small Bar has been closed for quite some time now. I wouldn't take too much advice from anyone who mentioned small bar, they seem to be out of the scene.

Anyway, I have to agree with Blue Line, it is awful.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM

38,704 posts, read 99,002,590 times
Others not mentioned so far: Piece in Wicker Park -- better crowd on weekdays than weekends IMO, and more elbow room too. Not to mention really good pizza.

Bucktown: The Hideout; Danny's -- though Danny's may be a bit sparse crowd-wise Mon-Wed.

Lincoln Park: Delilah's.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,582,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Small Bar has been closed for quite some time now. I wouldn't take too much advice from anyone who mentioned small bar, they seem to be out of the scene.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, no. You are thinking of "Small Bar" in Lincoln Park. There's a Small Bar in Ukrainian Village on Division, and also another SmallBar in Avondale near Kedzie.. and I'm about 99.9999% sure both are still open.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,914,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Ummm... I brought it up as a place to check out, and I am not "out of the scene" (if I've ever been "in a scene"). It was open on Friday when I was last drinking there, so please think before you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago