U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 AM

13 posts, read 12,418 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm visiting Chicago for a few days in April, technically for work but it's going to end up that I'll have a couple of days (and nights!) free.

I'm pretty sorted for things to do during the day thanks to many of the informative posts on this forum. I'd love some suggestions for some bars to check out at night. I've visited Chicago in the past and been to several places in River North. This time I'm really keen to explore some of the bars in Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Wicker Park/Bucktown.

I've looked at several sites for ideas, e.g. Time Out Chicago and The Chicago Reader. I'd love some suggestions from the folks on this forum though.

I'd really like to go to some standard bars. That's not a great description, I know! I guess I mean a nice bar, with a decent crowd (without being over the top and line-ups), friendly locals, non-pretentious staff and a casual atmosphere.

I'm not chasing somewhere that is known for live music or fancy drinks, nor do I especially need amazing food or 100 TVs (although if a recommended joint I will happily go to gastropubs or sports bars).

To summarize, I'm looking for the sorts of places that you would go to yourself with a bunch of friends if you were after a fun, casual night out.

I hope that's enough info and that you guys can give me some suggestions. I'll be in Chicago in the early part of a week (Mon to Wed), if that influences your ideas.

Also, I'll be travelling alone so I'll mention again, friendly locals would be great, although I've heard this generally isn't an issue in Chicago.

Many thanks for any suggestions,
Jax
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 AM

264 posts, read 251,061 times
Man, one of my faves north or wrigleyville is this dump called 'holiday club'. It's very local with a great local crowd. They have good music, pool tables and a perfectly creepy room in the back if you want to dance. They have a bunch of local beers and you have to try tr Mac and cheese!

Just am idea if you want a local dive bar. It is secretly a favorite of Vince Vaughn, but you won't see him there and that isn't the reason to go. Have fun and be safe, bro!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM

481 posts, read 738,978 times
Lincoln Park: Barrelhouse Flats, Marquee, Local Option
Lake View: Sheffield's, Guthrie's, Gingerman
Wicker Park: Bangers & Lace, The Bedford (never been there but people seem to like it), Blue Line
Bucktown: Map Room, Silver Cloud, Bucktown Pub

Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM

178 posts, read 324,481 times
Lincoln Park: The Gaslight on Montana and Racine........it has gotten a little bit snootier as the years go by, but it is a great place to have a few
Lake View: Jake's Pub on Oakdale and Clark is perhaps my all-time favorite place to go with friends. It really hasn't been touched by the changes Lake View has undergone......completely unpretentious.
Wicker Park: Harder to find a normal bar. The Northside Bar and Grill used to be really nice. It's on North and Damen. I honestly don't spend a lot of time in Wicker Park.
Bucktown: I second the Map Room (Armitage and Hoyne) and would add the Green Eye on Western and Milwaukee......just under the Western Blue Line stop. I don't frequent Bucktown as much as I used to, but that place was cool a few years back.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,718,741 times
Holiday Club is VERY far north. I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, I would recommend you just go to an area where bars are all within walking distance. That way you can just do a mini bar crawl and see what fits.

Lincoln Park: Check out the bars on Lincoln Ave between Fullerton and Armitage. Start with Wise Fools, cheap drinks and good local company.

Wicker Park: Check out the area near the 6 corners. My personal local favorites are Nicks Beer Garden as well as Tavern. Tavern has some video games like deer hunter that people sometimes compete in. I enjoy challenging a person or two. ha.

Lakeview/Wrigleyville: Go to wrigleyville. Beer on Clark Street has a beer pong table and a boxing machine you can play with people. Just go up to someone and ask if they want to play pong. Also one of the bars has skee-ball. I can't remember which.

Also, let us know what days in April and maybe we can notify you of some events such as a bar crawl or singles crawl or something.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
Holiday Club is cool and it's not that far north. It's just north of Wrigleyville by a little bit. For Wicker Park, you should check out Flat Iron. It's more of a punk/metal bar, but at least go for a little bit because of the artwork on the walls if you aren't into it. It's really messed up to some people but great artwork. Lot of pool tables in there. Not much pretension of course.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,692,582 times
I usually stay out of taverns with pool tables, I've seen too many fights start over games. Do people in Wicker Park whack each other with pool sticks? Do users of the self conscious term "dive bar" then feel compelled to act accordingly?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

15,322 posts, read 20,675,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I usually stay out of taverns with pool tables, I've seen too many fights start over games. Do people in Wicker Park whack each other with pool sticks? Do users of the self conscious term "dive bar" then feel compelled to act accordingly?
I'm sure it's happened but I never get that vibe in Wicker Park at these places. I love pool, but I usually stay out of places that are strictly pool halls. These places however are not pool halls. They are bars that happen to have pool tables. I've been at both these places (Holiday Club and Flat Iron) many times and it's really a toss up as to whether people are actually playing pool and how many of them are. The tables are definitely not the main focus of activity here.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:47 PM

12,598 posts, read 14,525,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm sure it's happened but I never get that vibe in Wicker Park at these places. I love pool, but I usually stay out of places that are strictly pool halls. These places however are not pool halls. They are bars that happen to have pool tables. I've been at both these places (Holiday Club and Flat Iron) many times and it's really a toss up as to whether people are actually playing pool and how many of them are. The tables are definitely not the main focus of activity here.
Gingerman as well, witch is one of the few Wrigley area bars I actually like.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,917,390 times
My favorite bar in the city is Fion on Diversey/Sheridan. It's a small cocktail bar next to the annoying Duffy's, with possibly the best martinis in the area ($5 on Mondays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago