Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM

64 posts, read 109,364 times

Advertisements

I am not trying to be prejudice, or disrespecting certain communities, but I would say the 'middle class' usually resides in the North/Northwest suburbs... and a few neighborhoods and towns in the south of Chicago.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM

344 posts, read 837,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Ugh. I live in a building of professionals, including doctors, lawyers, the owner of a successful public relations firm, private wealth managers and the retired former COO of an Asian stock exchange, at least one person who bought his place with stock option gains, a professional concert pianist, among others. We are all solidly "upper-middle class" in income, emphasis on education and culture. My home is in River North aka the Near North Side (yes, my profile currently says Cambridge, Mass, but that's because I'm finishing my masters here at the moment).

That said, I almost laughed out loud to see "-an openness to others, change, and things different from ourselves" listed among the rest of your pretentious, obnoxious list because it's contradictory to at least half of your other things. You can't believe half of what you wrote and at the same time believe that you're actually open things and others different from yourself. The thing I like best about my particular condo association is that everyone in it is genuinely open to things and people different from themselves. Some of them own luxury imports because they like them, others own domestic cars because they know many of them are just as safe, they cost a lot better (real upper-middle-class ethos is to not waste money, not to always have to have the best). Of course they all recognize there is an ideal, but they also realize that culture, sophistication and grace are what having class is about, not prattling on about ideals in a self-congratulatory manner that implies failure to attain those ideals is always and only a personal failing that precludes one from having value.

In order to be upper-(middle)-class, one must first have class.

i still think this whole thing is absurd
you seriously have never left Illinois, yes?
you have never been to philly or NY, correct?
i do not have to believe 1/2 of what i said bc myself, my family and peers ARE and LIVE 30000% of what i said!!
the only person who would suggest my list is pretentious and obnoxious is the weak ego person that i tried to carefully word things around which i already know from these boards run rampant in chicago
all of the professions and pianists you mentioned have NOTHING to do with the upper middle class...again, stereotypes from people who dont know of what they spew...and the lower middle and middle middle typically have no clue, tighty whities in boston or not
the upper middle class is not remotely associated with being frugal with money either
way way WAY off
i hoped you learned a few things today. try not to insult ME nor my people with your ignorance

here's a bone
nice easy reading, so you cant *** it up Social Classes: The Upper Middle Class
there's nothing worse than an african native telling the japanese how to cook authentic japanese food
this is why i even half dare post something mentioning class on these boards...everyone is lost ..."its all about money, jobs, and houses"....uhhh, i originally addressed this VALUES!!!! and i even gave examples...real world ones!!!! practical stereotypes which hold true 95% of the time bc they are based on the core values, and if i would have listed the raw values, ppl would REALLY be lost. i made it easy, in order to get answers
again, thanks to those who tried
am still open to more answers from those who are genuine and are not interested in schooling me on where i come from
people think the classes are status b/c of their weak egos and lack of sense of self....and weak sense of self
classes are not badges of merit
its who we are groomed to be way early on, before even born
people do not change class
class is like hair color in ways...its just who you are
when you mention hair color you dont describe your neighbors or their jobs/interests
a real upper middle class person would never mention ANYTHING that was mentioned
he would be laughed out of a community from such gross ignorance
thus things like speech, choices, grooming by family, instantly reflects class...ones core values that they arent even aware of in many cases
thus guides ones selection of friends and the zones in which they feel most comfortable in, THUS i made this post to get my needs met.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 02-19-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,383,163 times
The North Shore suburbs are your best bet for finding this mentality. Some of the neighborhoods up there are quite similar to what you'd see in the old money suburbs of the East Coast. The most urban of these suburbs (and closest to Chicago) is Evanston. But as you move further up the shore, the population is a bit more homogeneous and you're a bit further from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent_of_old View Post
whether it be in the city or burbs, i would like to know

i am asking this to those who are able to see beyond the surface of my posts and are able to respond to the content, not to those who are sensitive to the surface of what i ask and react like animals

more times that not, i find when people talk about different classes on city data, they are way off. i.e. the idea that the upper middle class is defined by income. nothing could be further from the truth. that said, i will clarify on the upper middle class, only for the purpose of aiding the discovery of the information i seek

-education is a high priority, whereas parents take a highly active role starting early on in aiding their children to reach peak performance
-children are procreated upon casual review and selection of prolonging good genetics, not based upon "getting knocked up" nor being ok with the idea of "the stork". also having children is planned, whereas its decided when it will happen
-european cars are owned NOT for the purpose of status, but for both the likelyhood of being able to protect ones family at the most optimum from a crash and for a feeling of deservingness of good things
-when one thinks grocery shopping, only trader joes and whole foods comes to mind, and living near them important
-competitiveness when it comes to a career and preparing for one via high end education is highly valued
-high end results in life are valued, as opposed to the belief that we all must stick together, have hard times, struggle, and get average results as our identity
-more of a lean towards the arts, doing things that are constructive, expansive, and intellectual, as opposed to inherently destructive and careless
-an openness to others, change, and things different from ourselves
-religion and other fear based institutions take a back seat to reason, understanding, and a high praise for leisure and getting the most out of an experience, especially interpersonal
-getting the desired results always wins over excuses
-private day schools and boarding prep being what is typical for ones lifetime

i could go on and on
my understanding is that chicago is known for its working class, and thats cool
i plan on moving there and i need to know where my people are at
where does the the upper middle class live in chicago and the surrounding burbs?
thanks
i am very invested in learning as much as i can about your beautiful city

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The North Shore suburbs are your best bet for finding this mentality. Some of the neighborhoods up there are quite similar to what you'd see in the old money suburbs of the East Coast. The most urban of these suburbs (and closest to Chicago) is Evanston. But as you move further up the shore, the population is a bit more homogeneous and you're a bit further from the city.
you GOT IT
you get it
thank you so much!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I thought upper middle class was based on income. Like a family making 250 grand a year or so. I guess I clearly know nothing either.

But I do know that you can find plenty of "low class" people even among the richest.
right, thats called Carmel Indiana
thus for the gazillionth time, money can follow trends with class, but class is not determined by it

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,906,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That said, I almost laughed out loud to see "-an openness to others, change, and things different from ourselves" listed among the rest of your pretentious, obnoxious list because it's contradictory to at least half of your other things.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:02 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The North Shore suburbs are your best bet for finding this mentality.
I agree with this. I would add that it can also be found in many of Chicago's North Side lakefront areas -- at least up to Irving Park Road or so -- but is more diluted there.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
There are parts of Evnaston that are havens of those seeking low cost housing , street drugs and the same kinds of lawlessness to be found innthenworstnof the southside...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 AM

672 posts, read 750,331 times
It's interesting to read about the American idea of class. Very different to here - the OP is describing what I'd term (in Australia) the petit-bourgeoisie. I'll be sure to check out those North Shore suburbs when I visit Chicago later this year... just to see.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM

147 posts, read 163,625 times
I think what OP is describing is what some call "bourgeois bohemians" or BoBos, which has more or less replaced the traditional upper middle class. It seems to me that you can find BoBos in most of the former bastions of the old school upper middle- the Gold Coast and the North Shore, mainly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago