Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM

19 posts, read 32,418 times

Advertisements

Hello, all. It might be a little too late to ask this (my interview is the day after tomorrow) but I recently got an interview for a position in Schaumburg. While I'm definitely open to moving closer there from the city IF I get the job, I was wondering what the best way to get there is for my interview. I live in the city (about 1o minutes south of downtown) and have never had to drive to Schaumburg during rush hour. My interview is at 9:30AM so I'm guessing I'll be, at least partially, dealing with some of the rush hour headache.

Can anyone tell me what the best way to get there would be for this and how long it could take? I know taking the I-90/94 is probably the most direct way to get there but I've heard the horror stories about rush hour traffic. Am I better off taking the I-290 to avoid the airport? Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 11:38 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Honestly probably the only way is to drive unless somehow you can reach the office from a Metra station or from a Bus off the blue line. Both expressways will be backed up 90/94 a bit more so. There are going to be atleast two or more bottle necks on the way out. If by 290 then the area where 290 and 294 meet and again the area where 294 and 90(I think) cross out in Schaumburg. You will run into airport traffic on both routes out just that you will run into it sooner on 90/94.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
The general advice above is mostly correct(except for the fact the 294 crosses under 90/94 east of O'Hare just past the Cumberland plaza...) but the specifics of where and when the bottlenecks are worst tends to give the edge to the 290 route if you need to be in Schaumburg at 9:30.

What I have noticed is that since so many folks that taking 90/94 also continue west on the NW tollway the traffic tends to be heavier earlier than on 290. A tremendous amount of traffic that starts on 290 take 88 further west and if their is no weather or collisions the rest of 290 is generally fast up to Schaumburg. The portion that runs as 53 is nice and wide and you can generally avoid the backups where folks get off to Itasca / the Elgin-O'Hare...

In either case, for an interview I would not give myself anything less than 90 minutes for a trip from south of the Loop even though you might get lucky and it could take half that. Bring some stuff to read and mouthwash so that if you have to stop in a Starbucks or McDonalds and sip some coffee your breath will be minty fresh and not have that awful "I was sucking down coffee all morning" stench...

Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM

19 posts, read 32,418 times
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm leaning more towards driving on the 290 at this point. I also woke up a little earlier today just to check out the traffic reports and the 90 seemed a lot worse than the 290 (it's still a heck of a drive, though). I was actually thinking about leaving 2 hours before my interview starts so, hopefully, nothing crazy traffic-related happens, especially if you guys recommend nothing less than 90 minutes.

Any other responses are welcome tonight. Or if any other out-of-towners or something would like to know what the trip's like, I'll be happy to bring back some feedback. I'll be here being nervous about the interview for now :/ .

Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Sounds like the right plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnochicago View Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm leaning more towards driving on the 290 at this point. I also woke up a little earlier today just to check out the traffic reports and the 90 seemed a lot worse than the 290 (it's still a heck of a drive, though). I was actually thinking about leaving 2 hours before my interview starts so, hopefully, nothing crazy traffic-related happens, especially if you guys recommend nothing less than 90 minutes.

Any other responses are welcome tonight. Or if any other out-of-towners or something would like to know what the trip's like, I'll be happy to bring back some feedback. I'll be here being nervous about the interview for now :/ .
Short of some kind of historic weather event two hours ought to be more then double what you need but it makes sense to make the best impression.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago