Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 128,597 times

Advertisements

***Please excuse the typo in the title - I couldn't edit after posting****

I just recieved my first moving violation in the 7 years I have lived in Chicago. It was my fault, I was turning left at an intersection and I got stuck in the middle on the yellow. My decision was to finish the turn on the yellow/red signal change and not block traffic. The officer, who was the first car at the opposite intersection, did not think it was such a good idea - and a ticket was issued. It happens and I accept responsibility.

However - being my first Illinois (Chicago) issued ticket, I was not aware the city would take my license. I guess I understand the reason, although this has been a pain for me. Here are my questions:

1) It has been over 21 days and my ticket has not been posted on the website so I can submit payment. How long can this take? Calling the court office is useless, those people are misearble. Should I pay at the police station?

2)How long after payment does it take to recieve my license back? I need to travel and do some banking but my Passport is expired and most places will not accept these as forms of ID.

3) I talked to someone who asked me about a bond card. Do all officers accept this instead of a drivers license? How do I get one?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 AM

147 posts, read 164,646 times
Every ticket I've ever gotten came with and envelope and instructions to mail in payment if you aren't contesting it, so I'm not sure that you need to wait for it to go up on a website.

I don't know anything about bond cards, but if you need another form of official identification, get a state ID card from the Sec of State- you can use it for anything you would use your DL for... except driving.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Generally most "full service" insurance agents will give you a "traffic offense" bond card that is good for $250 or so as a courtesy. Call your insurer.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Wow, you got a ticket for that? I see that happen at pretty much every intersection at every yellow/red light in the city and have never once seen anyone get pulled over. That sucks!

Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Wow, you got a ticket for that? I see that happen at pretty much every intersection at every yellow/red light in the city and have never once seen anyone get pulled over. That sucks!
Yeah, I imagine that happens upwards of 100,000 times a day in Chicago.

If he was like the 5th car to make the late left, then I can see a ticket, but doesn't sound like it.

My guess is the cop wanted to run the red light himself and decided to punish the poor sap who got in his way.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM

725 posts, read 3,013,600 times
I don't have solid answers to your questions, though this may be helpful as well in the future in the event that you get another unfortunate ticket. But when I got my AAA card, I was told by my agent that if I ever got a ticket I could give the officer my AAA card as a bond card instead of my driver's license.

Page 35: http://chicago.aaa.com/assets/files/...book.pdf?valid

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM

483 posts, read 841,918 times
Can you do the rush passport update? I don't think it's too expensive. That should be fine for all travel. Not sure about banks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: