Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Hating or judging someone because of their race is racism - it isn't the most complicated concept.
Hating a category of people different than you is bigotry.

Laws and governmental policies which actually discriminate by race is racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
No, racism has to do with a belief system, not policy.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Context matters, and when you pretend it doesn't, you don't seem wise or just, you seem petty and dumb.
Agree to disagree. Guess I'm petty and dumb.

Calling people names is also petty and dumb.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
No, racism has to do with a belief system, not policy.
Racism, the noun, is generally referring to a racist belief system codified into law. It is a bit of a gray area, and frankly people do tend to interchangeably throw around the terms bigotry, prejudice and racism, but the point is there is a difference between individual beliefs and policies which reflect those. You can personally not be racist/prejudiced/a bigot but still be part of a larger racist system and society.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Something about white people complaining about black racism makes my stomach tie up in knots.
Who's complaining? Just stating facts.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvernsey View Post
Wow, nobody has posted this? GA has CCW! C'mon people. You don't screw around where you might get shot. Here in Chicago a mob of people can do whatever they want to whomever they want whenever they want, what is the repercussion? None! Try one of these mobs down in Tampa where everyone is packing, won't happen more than once I guarantee you. Can't wait to get packing here.
yeah, don't you people get it?

bullets flying on michigan avenue, one of the busiest streets in the country, is the only answer.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:57 PM

190 posts, read 315,377 times
Quote:
I've had access to the Internet since 1996, and I think that "reverse racism" explanation is the dumbest thing yet. I mean it's up there. Hating or judging someone because of their race is racism - it isn't the most complicated concept. Marginalizing something as "reverse racism" with that liberal crap is just stupid and wrong wrong wrong.
the real difference is that it isn't institutional racism.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM

283 posts, read 447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Racism is racism. Who gives a **** who is being racist to who?
People who were oppressed delight in seeing their oppressers ****ed over. Case in point: Poles and Czechs to Germans in the later stages of WWII & its' aftermath. So yes it matters who is racist to who. It's more justifiable to get rid of the foreigners occupying/oppressing you (i.e. northern Irish ethnic tensions) than to oppress people (i.e. cultural suppression of Koreans in Japanese Empire).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
So certain types of racism are acceptable to you? Or do you believe there are different levels of racism?
Yes there are different levels of racism. Making insensitive jokes is less extreme than genocide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I am Black also, and I don't want to see violence either. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened though. Over all, what I'm afraid of is some people taking these flash mobs, and then using it to prop up a racist agenda. I've seen people do this on threads here on city-data, and on some other websites. My big fear is that someone will use these events as a justification to say "no Blacks allowed" or "kick them out" or to some other racist things.
Hey, we can use it as an excuse to do the same XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
That's an operating hypothesis, certainly. How about proving it?

How exactly did poor Irish ditch diggers, Bohemian factory workers, German slaughterhouse workers up North benefit from slavery?
They came to a country which was receiving a LOT of its resources (coal, cotton, sugar) from the work of slavery. And yes, they DID use slaves in ironmaking and mining in the south. Wall Street was originally started as a slave auction block. The original white house was built by slaves. There would not be much of an America WITHOUT slavery as white immigrants didn't want to immigrate to the south themselves because apparently the climate was too bad for them.

Quote:
Factor in the families of the 600,000+ Union army casualties in your answer, please.
1. They [the Union forces] did not care about slaves - a lot of the rhetoric was basically civil nationalism while the confederates applied to ethnic nationalism of a distinct southern white people (i will post proof if you want)
2. that's civil war casualties in GENERAL not just Union casualties. as in all confed mil losses, civ losses, etc.

Quote:
I find it odd how European ethnic people A who had no direct role in transporting slaves are more guilty due to the color of their skin than African ethnic people B who directly rounded up human beings for sale and benefited economically from that.
African slavery was more humane than European slavery. Those European ethnic groups came to a country which already had slavery & was developing economically from it. Does the GDP boost somehow magically not affect them or entice them to come to a more booming country?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Really? You'd be just about as well-off using The Onion as an information source as this guy.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Sounds like LORD OF THE FLIES. The cops should be monitoring texts- and cell phone calls in general. The technology exists to figure out were these flash mobs are going to appear. It's mobile communications that make these mob crimes so effective and successful. This stuff makes me sick..as we advance through technology, we regress morally.
Uh, no. That's what China is for. We don't do that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago