Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 2,423 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I am thinking of buying a condo in West town, this is Huron and Noble (zip 60642). As far as I understand , my 3 yr old child will be assigned to Otis school which might be not the best choice. I am wondering if I can apply to a better school and what chances do I have in this case? E.g Burr school is better but it located slightly farther.

do I have more chances with a better school if child goes to a paid preschool at this school first?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Whether you pay for preschool has no bearing on the system of selective admissions run by CPS.

http://www.cpsoae.org/apps/pages/ind...674&hideMenu=1

Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,423 times
Can I apply to any school withing 1.5 mile radius or only to the one I am assigned to?

is it difficult to get into this Magnet school? I see one but it's approx 2 miles from me...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are some good resources online from folks that either have kids or run businesses that assist in this sort of thing. Here is a tip that might help:

"Living near a desired magnet school can help your chances, so look carefully at magnet elementary schools within 1.5 miles of your home and high schools within 2.5 miles. After siblings are placed, CPS fills 40 percent of remaining seats through a lottery of students who live near the school — though there are exceptions. Under new guidelines, if more than 50 percent of the student body lives in the neighborhood and if more than 50 percent of the student body represents one race, the school won’t have a proximity lottery." CNT | Lincoln Park, IL Blog: Ten Tips for Parents in Chicago Public School Admissions

Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM

413 posts, read 832,612 times
LaSalle at Division and Hoyne is considered pretty top notch. I think your chances are significantly better of getting in if you live within 1.5 miles which you might.

I don't have kids but I live in the area and have thought about this in case I do have a kid. My plan would be to hope my kid gets into LaSalle and if they didn't I'd probably try Otis. Otis numbers are actually not that bad and comparable to state averages. Also I suspect that it will improve significantly over the coming years as the area is gentrifying pretty rapidly. LaSalle would be one of the top in the state if you can get in.

The real problem occurs at the high school level. At that point I would pretty much be counting on my kid to get into one of the magnet schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago