Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 AM

25 posts, read 44,860 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are moving from Boston to Chicago on may 1. We need to be reasonable distance to 600 W Chicago Ave. We are in our late 20's and have a dog. We are looking for a place no more then $1300.

What are some good areas that are safe? I don't want to be concerned coming home after dark. We are very familiar with some areas of Chicago as we grew up in IL but not any areas we can really afford.

Please we need some suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,793,022 times
What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? For $1300/month if you were to get a 1 bedroom you could afford most neighborhoods (most..). If you want a 2 bedroom, then you might want to look at Ukrainian Village area to the West as you can take the Chicago Ave bus right to 600 W Chicago. There's a lot of other options IMO depending on what you want your "commute" to be like.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM

We really aren't picky on type of neighborhood. We don't go out really, we don't have kids...I guess it would be nice to have some food places near by but in all honesty we drive everywhere.

We would like a place that has easy street parking or driveway/garage. Ideally we would like a 2 bedroom, if possible.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,963,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlpalumbo View Post

We would like a place that has easy street parking or driveway/garage. Ideally we would like a 2 bedroom, if possible.
Good luck with that.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
We really aren't picky on type of neighborhood. We don't go out really, we don't have kids...I guess it would be nice to have some food places near by but in all honesty we drive everywhere.

1) Chicago is very walkable in many areas. Driving everywhere is not needed.
2) You don't need a car depending on where you live/are going. Chicago has the 2nd most extensive mass transit system in the US. Everyone takes it..I've ever seen the Mayor taking the train home before. Especially if you live within reasonable distance to 600 w chicago, you might need a car every once in awhile depending on what you're doing but you'll probably find yourself not needing it very often (happens to a lot of people).

3) Easy street parking or a driveway/garage? Not going to find that within reasonable distance to 600 w chicago. Sounds like you'd do better off in the suburbs.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:40 AM

I know it's not the easiest but its possible.

We lived in the Gold Coast for a year and parking wasn't bad (sometimes it was sometimes it wasn't). I need the car to get to the suburbs from time to time.

We need to live in the city, not suburbs.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I know it's not the easiest but its possible.

We lived in the Gold Coast for a year and parking wasn't bad (sometimes it was sometimes it wasn't). I need the car to get to the suburbs from time to time.

We need to live in the city, not suburbs.
How long ago was that? I currently live in the Gold Coast, have for four years, and will tell you that parking is usually not great unless you get lucky or you pay $200+/month for private garage level parking.

The suburbs car thing makes sense, but still as a current resident of the Gold Coast, it's not extremely easy to find parking outside of temporary street parking. Sometimes you can get lucky, but in my personal experience....not always a given. I have a friend who "has" a car in the Gold Coast and always has to park west near what was once Cabrini Green. Every once in awihle he gets lucky within a few blocks of his place.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-07-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 AM

2 years ago at 1400 lakeshore. Unfortunately they have been renovating and apartments are not in our price. Often I parked on Schiller and Ascher and those surrounding streets. It was a challenge at times but always found a space. We also had one car in a garage further away, I forget what street it was on.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM

My bad, Astor! Not Ascher.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
2 years ago at 1400 lakeshore. Unfortunately they have been renovating and apartments are not in our price. Often I parked on Schiller and Ascher and those surrounding streets. It was a challenge at times but always found a space. We also had one car in a garage further away, I forget what street it was on.
I see. It is a challenge usually. Also more things will be going up in that area within the next handful of months (well maybe 10 months). The Jewel at the corner of Clark and Division is going to be torn down to make way for a new Jewel at the base of a 40 story residential tower.

Why don't you look in the Gold Coast though? You are already familiar with it....I guess it depends on what you want too. Ukrainian Village is still good. It's fairly residential but still food and what not around there. If you stay close-ish to Chicago avenue then you can bus it over there and the ride isn't that long. Parking is free (I think..) and you're closer to the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago