Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM

541 posts, read 912,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Read above, I added on more. Honestly speaking. From someone who grew up where it snowed every other day sometime and was cold, the winters here are a walk in the park. HOWEVER, if you just absolutely hate hate hate cold weather, then yeah, not for you obviously.

People over here tend to overrate the winters though. I've experienced exactly one day of the winters I've lived here where I thought "**** it's cold as **** out." The rest are usually "not bad" or "it's cold out but could be worse."

I can definitely see that.

I think Upstate has just made me not want to experience anything under 60 anymore.

Its too bad I couldnt split 6 months in Chicago and elsewhere. Doesnt work jobwise either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Another thing is that in Chicago id be living in the Northside commuting to work on the L and busses, and outside much more frequently than I am here, which is probably the number one reason why people get up about Chicago winter's so much. At least in Upstate, or Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. youre in your car.

There really isnt any other major public transit city in the country that has such a winter.
This is a good point, but there's ways to combat it. For the train, all the stations pretty much have heat lamp areas like such:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6...ccde521c_z.jpg

If you don't want to be outside waiting in one of those, then you can wait downstairs in the main area which is heated and cut off to the elements usually at least in some areas. Most of the stations now have some sort of board saying when the trains will be arriving. If you get there and you have 10 minutes until the next, just hang out there for a good 7 minutes and then head up stairs to outdoors in that case (Belmont station is open to the elements but it's big enough where if you're waiting in certain areas it won't be as cold and you won't get the wind really). Also realize that there are numerous subway stations here too that are heated (especially in and around the urban core).

For buses, there's no heat lamps usually at the stops, but the thing about both train and bus is there's apps for your phone that tell you when it's coming. Not to mention it's hooked into Google Maps' directions. So when I'm at my place and want to go somewhere, instead of just heading out and waiting, check your app and plan like that. It really cuts down on your wait time in general even if it's nice out (although sometimes buses come a minute or two early).

Old 03-22-2013, 01:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
Well, it depends on how you define "winter" but often April is extremely cold when much of the rest of the country is warm. It is the most irritating thing about living in Chicago for me.
I guess it's all relative based on opinion. Looking at the averages the city goes from 55 to 65 degrees from the beginning of April to the end. It's not HOT, but I personally don't really think of 60 degrees as "extremely cold".

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 PM

When did winter start and end this year in Chicago?

Also, how is the nightlife during the winter? Is it still fairly busy and do people still go out?

Do people mostly stay indoors and just go to Hawks, Bears and Bulls games?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
When did winter start and end this year in Chicago?

Also, how is the nightlife during the winter? Is it still fairly busy and do people still go out?

Do people mostly stay indoors and just go to Hawks, Bears and Bulls games?
Winter is basically still ongoing. It's been a pretty mild winter this year but also a very LOOONNG one. The southern part of the metro area just got an inch or two of snow last Sunday, and that was a lucky break: the middle of the state got over a foot of snow. In fact I got stuck in it visiting family -- we were supposed to return Sunday night, didn't get to leave until Monday afternoon.

Last year we were in the 70s and 80s by this time. The highest we've hit so far this March is 51 degrees -- and that was the only day it got into the 50s. We'll probably get one more 50+ degree day before the end of the month. Given that last year's March was the precursor to a miserably hot summer, I'm hopeful that suffering this unusually cold March will pay off in the form of a more pleasant summer this year.

Nightlife is noticeably slower on weekdays during the winter. Weekends are still quite busy.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:39 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
As a lifetime Floridian thinking strongly about moving to Chicago, I'm a little nervous about the dead of the winter, but that that I very much so dislike being warm. I think besides the really, really cold months, I will enjoy the cold. Plus, in my field, we are usually locked at the client site all day from January to March or April, so I won't be too exposed in the really cold months. I'm looking forward to the spring and fall so much, its something you don't get in Florida.
Fall is overrated, IMO. The "beauty" of the fall season lasts for a couple of weeks at most; it doesn't last for three entire months. The first few weeks or so of meteorological fall look and feel like summer, and the last month-and-a-half (plus or minus a couple of weeks) looks and feels like winter.

Unless you're 12 years old or younger, you're probably not going to be jumping in a pile of leaves, apple picking, or pumpkin carving during the fall.

Spring is even worse than fall up North, IMO, as it's chilly, rainy, and overcast on most days during the spring season. At least fall is warmer, drier, and sunnier than spring.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 PM

That is true.

Fall is generally more pleasant than Spring, but they both dont last long, especially Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago