Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You just don't get it, do you? The only people you have in this world are yourself and your family. The folks sitting around in the ghetto waiting for 'The Man' to rescue them will be waiting for a very long time. In life there is no such thing as fair or unfair, only cold, hard reality. And the reality is that God helps those who help themselves. So, keep making those exucses, friend. It seems to be what you do best.
More over simplifications from you. It's not about "waiting for the man", its about the city taking an actual interest in helping the people they've screwed over for decades and continue to do so. There is no fair in life, but there is in society, at least the way it's promoted in the US. I suppose you're fine with less police services in poor minority areas, and more in safe rich areas? Since you believe life is not fair.

Here's an example. Last year a lady in a "poor BC" was robbed and raped in the alleyway of her building on the way home from work. She called the police and it took them 2 hours to respond. When the police came, they were joking around, not taking the situation seriously. They didn't seem too concerned about getting the guy. I suppose they had the same mentality the life is not fair, or at least fairness is unimportant in poor BC. Of course the rapist robber was never caught. In contrast, a couple of people were being overly loud in a residential area of lake view the same week of last year. 3 cop cars arrived within a period of 5 minutes. This is just one of many examples where the BC is seen and treated as less important or disposable. I suppose you'll put this up to "excuses" too.

This has nothing to do with god, and everything to do with humans. Keep dismissing the realities to these areas, "friend". It seems to be what you're best at.

Last edited by chitownperson; 03-21-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
More over simplifications from you. It's not about "waiting for the man", its about the city taking an actual interest in helping the people they've screwed over for decades and continue to do so. There is no fair in life, but there is in society, at least the way it's promoted in the US. I suppose you're fine with less police services in poor minority areas, and more in safe rich areas? Since you believe life is not fair.
Honestly, I don't care one way or the other. There's no such thing as fair in life and that includes society.

Quote:

Here's an example. Last year a lady in a "poor BC" was robbed and raped in the alleyway of her building on the way home from work. She called the police and it took them 2 hours to respond. When the police came, they were joking around, not taking the situation seriously. They didn't seem too concerned about getting the guy. I suppose they had the same mentality the life is not fair, or at least fairness is unimportant in poor BC. Of course the rapist robber was never caught. In contrast, a couple of people were being overly loud in a residential area of lake view the same week of last year. 3 cop cars arrived within a period of 5 minutes. This is just one of many examples where the BC is seen and treated as less important or disposable. I suppose you'll put this up to "excuses" too.
So?

Quote:
This has nothing to do with god, and everything to do with humans. Keep dismissing the realities to these areas, "friend". It seems to be what you're best at.
You just may drown some people with that pitiful, bleeding heart of yours.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM

577 posts, read 669,745 times
Quote:
And the reality is that God helps those who help themselves. So, keep making those exucses, friend. It seems to be what you do best.
And this is why God is an ******* (if he existed, which I don't believe he does). Why would you need to help someone if they're already helping themselves? People in these neighbourhoods need help because they're demoralized, brutalized, stigmatized, uneducated and left to rot in poverty, with no hopes of ever escaping. They can't get help from those around them because those around them are in THE SAME POSITION. That is why the government (y'know, the people who we elect to look after the country and make sure people are having at least a basic level of living) need to help them. They can't do it on their own.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
And this is why God is an ******* (if he existed, which I don't believe he does). Why would you need to help someone if they're already helping themselves? People in these neighbourhoods need help because they're demoralized, brutalized, stigmatized, uneducated and left to rot in poverty, with no hopes of ever escaping. They can't get help from those around them because those around them are in THE SAME POSITION. That is why the government (y'know, the people who we elect to look after the country and make sure people are having at least a basic level of living) need to help them. They can't do it on their own.
I used the word 'God' in a metaphorical sense, not a literal one. Anyway, cry me a river. You and that other fellow can share sob stories. lol

Old 03-21-2013, 02:05 PM

But the problem is, even if you don't care about these people, it will still affect you. Less help for them means more crime, alcoholism, drug abuse, vandalism, etc., all of which will affect you either directly (being a victim of crime) or indirectly (higher taxes to pay for the mess that is created). It's in our interest to find sensible, cost-effective solutions to these problems. Believe me, they're not going away unless we do.

I didn't even see a black person in my home town until I was about 18, and the exact same problems existed. It's nothing to do with race.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
But the problem is, even if you don't care about these people, it will still affect you. Less help for them means more crime, alcoholism, drug abuse, vandalism, etc., all of which will affect you either directly (being a victim of crime) or indirectly (higher taxes to pay for the mess that is created). It's in our interest to find sensible, cost-effective solutions to these problems. Believe me, they're not going away unless we do.

I didn't even see a black person in my home town until I was about 18, and the exact same problems existed. It's nothing to do with race.

So, you're a white liberal with a leaky heart, huh? Well, I've had plenty of first hand experiences with these people that you're crying over. They will murder or assault you without hesitation. They will destroy your property. The best thing for them is to simply stop reproducing. Get back to me after you've been in a few street fights, confrontations or other dangerous situations with these folks. Until then, maybe you should just be quiet.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM

But you seem to be of the opinion that race somehow plays a part. It doesn't. I've lived 10 years in the US and 20+ years in the UK and all of the violence I've witnessed (and I've seen a lot, and have been a victim several times) has been white on white.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Well, I've had plenty of first hand experiences with these people that you're crying over. They will murder or assault you without hesitation.
You got that right. They don't call it Chiraq for nothin'. Preach!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
But you seem to be of the opinion that race somehow plays a part. It doesn't. I've lived 10 years in the US and 20+ years in the UK and all of the violence I've witnessed (and I've seen a lot, and have been a victim several times) has been white on white.

When did I say anything about race? That's an erroneous assumption on your part. After all, I'm black and actually live in one of these neighborhoods where stuff happens. I speak from experience.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
You got that right. They don't call it Chiraq for nothin'. Preach!
Maybe you should stay out of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago