Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Many of them are poor. I understand. But you know I would rather be poor somewhere else where my kids at least have some chance. I would leave all Illinois if I had to. Anything to get the hell out of Englewood. There are far better places to be poor than Chicago. Your kids will be much better off if you are poor in Madison, Des Moines, Omaha or even Minneapolis. There is no way in hell I would have kids in Englewood even if I had to spend my last dime on Greyhound tickets or live in a car somewhere else.
Actually, many poor people have left Chicago over the last 30 years for cities like Minneapolis and Des Moines.

MPR: Moving Up, Part One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, many poor people have left Chicago over the last 30 years for cities like Minneapolis and Des Moines.

MPR: Moving Up, Part One
They have gone to Indiana as well.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
They have gone to Indiana as well.
When many people feel like they can do better elsewhere, they will leave. Many people left Chicago in the 1980s for nearby cities looking for safer places to live.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I know there are good, hardworking, honest families living in these neighborhoods, and they're the ones who are getting victimized the worst! But, they're also the one's who aren't part of the problem. They're not the ones I'm referring to.
But, again, you're only arguement is that it's society's fault.
This problem has to be tackled at the root, which IMHO, starts with the culture of black teen girls having babies.
Can you not read? I already stated that EVERYONE has responsibility in this, society AND individuals. You, and the other guy, are the ones trying to say its nobodies fault other than the culture of the poor BC, as if society has no part in it. I already brought up specific examples, and I could go into other ones with more societal defining features like the creation of the Dan Ryan and the displacment of Poor blacks (and the intention behind it) etc... but im sure that will also be dismissed as mearly city development. I'm afraid the root of the problem goes a lot further from your "root", which is more like a symptom.

I think you, and the other one, are mistaking my acknowledgment of the fails of society as ini some way giving a pass to dysfunctional behaviour, which I'm not. I still believe people need to address their issues and people that amuse crime need to be punished, and dysfunctional culture needs to be corrected, BUT it also needs to be stated when the system is playing a role in the dysfunction, and when it's instigated it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
The "system" is doing what it can to repair its previous abuses of civil rights and liberties while the criminals, thugs and (some) baby mommas are doing what they can to maintain the status quo of their loud, angry and ignorant lives, all the while screaming racist this and racist that. There is no helping those who refuse it at every turn.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:32 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Chicago South Sider didn't apologize to you...
Well, he is from Woodlawn. Give the poor guy a break, already.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM

So how exactly is the "system" addressing crime in those areas when Ralm, our emperor, decides to cut the police force by over 1000, distributing them so there are more police in lake view than Austin, with vastly quicker response times to non violent crimes in Lake View than violent crimes in Austin? Why does the "system" not shut down the open air drug markets when they happen every day and are well known to everybody? How is the "system" addressing dysfunction when the city and Aldermans allow limitless liquor stores in areas that don't even have a proper super market for fresh food. How does the "system" help by providing under resourced schools? How is the removal of USPS from some of these areas a step to help these people? I could go on.

Another example, a few people get mugged and beaten on Michigan ave, and you have 10 cops on every corner for weeks to come. People get shot on a weekly basis in poor BC, and police are not present until after the shootings, and then leave. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the priorities of the "system" lays.

Like I said already, people need to be accountable for the poor decisions they make in life, but people are either deluded or ideologically driven when they say the "system" is either not responsible or doing all it can to address this problem.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Jeez, you think that has something to do with these "communities" not wanting to assist these cops for a variety of reasons: legitimate fears of reprisals, no snitching policies, anti-establishment mentalities, purposeful ignorance. The fact that this so-called father is not being helpful to the police is pretty indicative of these "communities'" priorities. At least in Michigan or Lakeview the residents and locals will actually work with the police and try to prevent future attacks.

And you want me to start going over every program and opportunity the city, state and federal government are giving these mental cases? It seems the predominant programs most utilize are food stamps, welfare and housing assistance programs. Now if you're suggesting that needs to be vastly reformed, I'm certainly with you all the way.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Considering how many in these communities have been treated, and are currently treated, by our boys and gals in blue, are you surprised at the level of distrust in the police? Yeah, the no snitching/anti establishment mentality has to go, but the establishment has to also change for that to happen. It's hard to blame someone who fears for their family by speaking out, knowing any one of them could catch a bullet for doing so, and the police haven't historically made that process any easier. Would you trust the person who mistreated your son or daughter mother with information that could possibly come back and rape or kill your family? Yeah, people in lake view are willing to work with the police because the police have never treated them like animals. If you go on some of the Chicago police blogs, you'll see where THEIR priotities lay, and you'll also get a sense of the non PC version of how they feel about the BC with the type of language they describe them in.

Yeah, those program's need to be reformed, and little good many of them did, where much of the housing turning into nothing but poorly planned concentrations of poverty when services routinely dropped by the waist side. Once the city realised their efforts of isolate and concentrate those communities had failed, they tore the structures down where many were left without housing and forced to move out of the city into places like Harvey etc... Of course these communities, like Cabrinni, were also taking up valuable real estate, another incentive for the city for "relocate" them.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM

287 posts, read 341,004 times
This is why Chicago sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago