Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM

283 posts, read 447,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I am serious. If you really love your kids, you don't abuse them by raising them in drug infested dangerous neighborhoods where their chances of ever being anything in life besides a dead body or an inmate are virtually zero. You do what you have to do to get the hell out of there. I have been to prison. I made damn sure my kids have not.
Uh no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with black people. I work for the schools and know plenty of perfectly decent black people. And I know plenty of my own kind that I would not want my kids around.
But this doesn't include anyone in an entire neighborhood? Someone lives in Englewood therefore they're an indecent person? Sound ridiculous..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,872,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
But this doesn't include anyone in an entire neighborhood? Someone lives in Englewood therefore they're an indecent person? Sound ridiculous..
Many of them are poor. I understand. But you know I would rather be poor somewhere else where my kids at least have some chance. I would leave all Illinois if I had to. Anything to get the hell out of Englewood. There are far better places to be poor than Chicago. Your kids will be much better off if you are poor in Madison, Des Moines, Omaha or even Minneapolis. There is no way in hell I would have kids in Englewood even if I had to spend my last dime on Greyhound tickets or live in a car somewhere else.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 PM

462 posts, read 427,220 times
Quote:
I am serious. If you really love your kids, you don't abuse them by raising them in drug infested dangerous neighborhoods where their chances of ever being anything in life besides a dead body or an inmate are virtually zero. You do what you have to do to get the hell out of there. I have been to prison. I made damn sure my kids have not.
I have relatives who live in Englewood right now. They haven't killed or been killed. Heck, none of them have been arrested or engaged in any illegal activity at all. I have a cousin, 17, who has darn near at the top of her class in terms of academics. Not pregnant either. In fact, she's never even had a boyfriend. Raised by a single mom, too. All of her friends --male and female -- are good kids. Never been in trouble with the law and do quite well in school as well.

There are lots of people who live in Englewood and other down trodden neighborhoods who are anything but what is portrayed in the press and on forums like this.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:12 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,387 times
This has to be one of the saddest stories I've heard out of Chicago ever. The baby had absolutely no say in this whole thing and was innocent. The baby had barely any chance to live life on earth. Anyone that would intentionally do something like that can't be human. So tragic.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
If i were poor too I'd leave a bad neighborhood and go live in a better neighborhood out in the far suburbs or even leave the state. Especially if i were like not working and had nothing to keep me here. I guess some people might stay because of family or because they are not brave, but I'd at least try.. There are places in Illinois even where you can live cheaper and safer than chicago. Heck you can even rent a mobile home and some of them are nice, and they are not very expensive, maybe $500 a month rent. I'd go out and live by a lake, or Kane County or by Springfield or something.. Heck, I've been to Hannibal, MO for a vacation and the cost of living is low, there are poor people there, and there is crime, but nothing like chicago in a place like Englewood.. of course people get shot everywhere, but I think if you live in a bad place, you can find something better.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I hope you are not serious. Now I cannot stand conservatives and republicans and corporate welfare cheaters and gang bangers and thug life, however, I do believe there are good people living there in those dangerous neighborhoods that care about things and care about their kids, but they are there for whatever reason. In fact, I know some good people who live in Englewood and one co-worker who lives next to Hyde Park that are better people than me.
I hope you were not being sarcastic because I was surely not being anything but honest and sincere in my answer.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
In other words, approximately 99 percent of adults who were raised in Englewood are either dead, in prison or out of prison. I think this can be shown to be statistically false - and very much so.

It's not that these things don't happen or even that they aren't common. However, the attitude you're displaying about entire neighborhoods is what we're finding objectionable.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I have relatives who live in Englewood right now. They haven't killed or been killed. Heck, none of them have been arrested or engaged in any illegal activity at all. I have a cousin, 17, who has darn near at the top of her class in terms of academics. Not pregnant either. In fact, she's never even had a boyfriend. Raised by a single mom, too. All of her friends --male and female -- are good kids. Never been in trouble with the law and do quite well in school as well.

There are lots of people who live in Englewood and other down trodden neighborhoods who are anything but what is portrayed in the press and on forums like this.
It's a shame that people feel the need to prove things like this to idiots..

Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
i have a cousin from Englewood who's in medical school *shrugs* so not everyone ends up screwed up
But C. Maurio does have a point. The odds are against a lot of kids in neighborhoods like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago