Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,897 times

Advertisements

My Fiance are looking at places to buy a cheap condo.

We liked a place on Belmont & Drake, like the kiddie corner to the late bar. We have driven around the area at night (7-8pm) feel ok about it. Would it be a problem for my fiance if she parked on drake just south of Belmont and walked a block to the building? Is the are around there fairly safe?

I searched and could only find information about Belmont& Kimball or east of there.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,853,631 times
Gotta stay alert, but this isn't a dangerous area.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 5,897 times
Thanks. We've lived in the city for a few years now, and figured so long as we weren't wearing headphones, blaring music, and on cell phones we'd probably be fine.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingpark22 View Post
My Fiance are looking at places to buy a cheap condo.

We liked a place on Belmont & Drake, like the kiddie corner to the late bar. We have driven around the area at night (7-8pm) feel ok about it. Would it be a problem for my fiance if she parked on drake just south of Belmont and walked a block to the building? Is the are around there fairly safe?

I searched and could only find information about Belmont& Kimball or east of there.

Thanks guys.
It's a safe area, but it's not Lincoln Park. Take ordinary precautions.

>like the kiddie corner to the late bar

I struggled with this until I realized that you meant "kitty corner" and that the Late Bar is the name of a bar :-)

Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 41,750 times
You should be fine. A few lady friends of mine live there and they walk a few blocks at midnight(They are waitresses and work in downtown) to get home after taking public transportation.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Lincoln Park can be much worse. Avondale doesn't have thugs from outside the area dressed up in drag to mug its residents.

Btw, I am almost loathe to say it, but Chicago Magazine named Avondale the best investment for first time buyers. The reason I pause is their reason is that of a simpleton's, referring to the proximity to Logan Sq, Avondale has "easy access to those perks while spending half as much."

True enough... But I don't want Logan Square property assessments/taxes unless we are getting comparable investment from the City for infrastructure. Way too much money and effort is confined to the square block around the Monument.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,869,899 times
It is safe. There are some gangs there but they generally stick to themselves and don't bother regular people.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Lincoln Park can be much worse. Avondale doesn't have thugs from outside the area dressed up in drag to mug its residents.
Is this for real? I think the trannies and drag queens are kind of cute, and I never heard of anybody getting mugged by one.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Is this for real? I think the trannies and drag queens are kind of cute, and I never heard of anybody getting mugged by one.
You're confusing the decades-old Belmont trannie hooker crowd with some specific incidents in Lincoln Park where thugs were cross-dressing as a form of disguise.

Quick search found this - one such event apparently made news overseas:

Cross-dressing muggers armed with pepper spray attack park-goers 'in broad daylight' | Mail Online

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM

216 posts, read 312,709 times
I live near there and it is pretty safe. I've never felt intimidated walking around at any time of night. The neighborhood has a family feel to it with kids playing in the streets in the summertime. You won't see that in a dangerous neighborhood. My only complaint is that there is a metric **** load of litter blowing around in the gutters and yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago