Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Your kidding! I am used to paying about $40 to $50 all year, that seems sky high because its electric heat. (which does not heat well). I am now in an apt with radiator heat and that probably will be $40 all year.

Wow if your electric bill is regularly $132 wow.... unless you have a huge square footage. Wow i did not know it was that high for many people.

In Chicago it might be alot, I agree. But if you think 132 is alot, you should see the bills we had in a small apartment in other parts of the country. Not to mention a big house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Dang! Thats a lot to be paying for electric bill. I moved and so now using radiator heat. Cant wait to see how much it will go down,, it should be about $45 or so.

those huge "McMansions" are pretty, the ones especially with the 2 story high living room but man, i would hate to pay the electric bill in cold winter, with them. wonder if they are over $300 a month.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Dang! Thats a lot to be paying for electric bill. I moved and so now using radiator heat. Cant wait to see how much it will go down,, it should be about $45 or so.

those huge "McMansions" are pretty, the ones especially with the 2 story high living room but man, i would hate to pay the electric bill in cold winter, with them. wonder if they are over $300 a month.
I haven't lived in a McMansion with a 2 story foyer or family room, but I have lived in a larger house in Chicago. Of course, in a newer house the heat will be gas forced air, not electric, but yeah, the bills can definitely be over $300 a month. Same thing with the electric bill in the summers. I imagine with a lot of vaulted ceilings and 2 story rooms those numbers would only be higher.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Quote:
If I am remembering right, its either Marina Tower or that other round condo building on 800 S Wells, that have issues with it being corrupted by the water that surrounds it.

After living downtown and now just moved out of downtown, I would NEVER live downtown. you think its so fabulous, however, it is dead many times. it is hard to get around unlike the neighborhoods as to parking situation, things open during the week because of workers but closed on weekends for that reason, I hated it toward the end.
And the dang noise, protestors, motorcycles revving up at 2:00 a.m. and extra lights shining in your bedroom from the streetlights, I'd never live downtown again. Living at marina towers, you have some restaurants open, but the prices are more expensive, so you cant really just throw on your t-shirt, go down the block and get a more affordable diner type meal like you would if you lived in a neighborhood. The view is nice though, but it gets tiring looking at stone (buildings) with not reallly much greenery, the river view is pretty at night because the yellow/gold glow from the street lights and (different colors with Christmas lights) are pretty. but if you like seeing big trees and lawn, forget about it.

Oh yeah, and another thing - if anyone is thinking about renting an apartment with electric heat that blows out of what looks like an air conditioner thingy, my electric bill during Jan & Feb were about $132, during the summer, when i used the air conditioner to cool the place, (1 bedroom 700 square feet apartment) it was about $40 to $50. Remember that when looking for an apartment that blows electric heat! I do not think i ran it unnecessarily, but thats what it cost me.
Hahaha, I had to pay $150 for my electricity bill in January due to the stupid electric heat, even though I was gone for 8 days in December!

Anyway, this is my concern regarding River North and The Loop. Do people in these neighborhoods have their sleep ruined due to excessive noise? Even though The Loop dies down earlier in the night, I can’t help but think the constant trains running would be very noisy.

Also, what about Streeterville? A couple people on here said the Gold Coast was not too noisy, thank God.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 AM

157 posts, read 186,701 times
Streeterville has really quiet parts, and sleep is not a problem with the exception of ambulances. And that depends on what street you are on. Parts of Streeterville feel surprisingly quiet and residential given how central it is.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:40 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
Hahaha, I had to pay $150 for my electricity bill in January due to the stupid electric heat, even though I was gone for 8 days in December!

Anyway, this is my concern regarding River North and The Loop. Do people in these neighborhoods have their sleep ruined due to excessive noise? Even though The Loop dies down earlier in the night, I can’t help but think the constant trains running would be very noisy.

Also, what about Streeterville? A couple people on here said the Gold Coast was not too noisy, thank God.

the highrises downtown supposed to have windows that when you close them, it is quiet and you can hardly hear the noise outside.

However, if you have an electric heat which blows out of a wall unit, it will be kinda loud and you will have to turn your TV up louder.

If you live on a bus stop, you will get the bus noise when it puts on the air brakes too.

If you live on Lake Shore Dr, you will get motorcyles at 2:30 in the morning, using Lake Shore Dr as a racing strip, revving up the motors and will wake you up.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,166 times
I knew a couple who owned there in the late 80s and they could not wait to get out. They said it was full of drug dealers at the time.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Thanks guys for the responses! Gonna make a thread to get a bit more intel.

Old 02-13-2018, 08:23 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
When I first moved to Chicago, I noticed the cheaper prices there and liked the unique look from the outside. But I'm more into newer, more modern buildings or at least buildings that are nicely renovated on the inside. I heard that they are not the most well-maintained as other posters have mentioned. However, given the price and location, they could be a really good deal for some people.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:59 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I was was single or married with no kids I would live in at Marina City. But i'm not so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: