Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM

47 posts, read 97,429 times

Advertisements

Hey, i will be flying in Thurday at 6:30. I am coming alone to check out the city and would love get in, go grab a bite to eat at a cool bar and maybe go somewhere afterwards. I need somewhere that would be ok for a single solo guy to go out at. I will be staying in the River North area but willing to cab anywhere, i just want to have the best time. So give me the places for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. By the way i am 35 year old white male and want somewhere fairly nice and not too "bummy". Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM

240 posts, read 464,617 times
First of all, welcome to Chicago, flguy! Unfortunately, you're not spending nearly enough time in our city. You should probably consider staying an extra 10 days. That being said, if you're not adverse to exploring, you might want to check out a couple neighborhoods. River North definitely has dining and nightlife, so plan on spending time near your home base, but River North probably has, on average, the most expensive restaurants and bars too.

Wicker Park and Logan Square both have fantastic nightlife as long as you're cool with the hipster crowd. Both are phenomenal neighborhoods with no end to the drinking/dining possibilities. If you're looking to stay upscale, you may want to check out Gold Coast. There are plenty of opportunities along Rush Street and Division, and it's more mature crowd.

Lincoln Park and Lake View are also easily accessible by cab from River North, and have an endless number of bars of all types, but both have a younger demographic typically (moreso Lake View than Lincoln Park).

Not sure if you're a beer guy or if you like to have options, but Time Out Chicago just did an article on the city's top cocktail bars. Might be worth a look if you have a couple minutes: Best Chicago cocktail bars - Bars - Time Out Chicago

Have fun while you're here, and please let us know where you went and what you thought!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I agree with the above, and it should be noted that all these places are right near train stops. So if you want to go to the more sports bar-ish places, go to Wrigleyville and take the train up to the Addison stop for example.

Please be advised that it's a Monday too so the number of people out (and many recovering from the weekend) probably won't be that great. Unfortunately again, not enough time, but please come back in the summer...things are much better in the summer.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Yeah i wish i could stay longer but i cant. I am actually visiting to get a basic idea of the city cause i want to move back to a big city and Chicago is at top of my list. If i like it then i will be back to find a place to live and move. Nightlife always looks good online because they post the best pics but when you get there sometimes its dead and sucks. I know Thursday is not busy at a lot of places probably and certain places have better nights. So i really dont want to go to a great place but on the wrong night. Thanks for the input and the different areas for different scenes.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Can anybody give me of a cool name of restaurant/bar atmosphere to go eat and have a drink at when i get in on Thursday night? Maybe not too far from the River North area since it maybe 9:30 or so before i head out after i fly in. Thanks

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
How about this?

The Boarding House

Old 03-20-2013, 03:52 PM

413 posts, read 832,484 times
The Lobster Burger at Rocket is excellent. Upstairs bar area is pretty decent. hubbard around clark.

Last edited by hindukid; 03-20-2013 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys, going to check these out

Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM

38 posts, read 45,073 times
Untitled is fun, its right on Kinzie upscale restaurant/ bar fun for happy hour http://untitledchicago.com/home-page its more upscale than your average bar, but had many fun nights there. Also Public House is just down the street and bull and bear are also fun, but they are more to watch a game and relax,. I do recomend to at least check out Untitled, I have brought many people and its a good, mixed, more upscale crowd per se but also very fun and the bartenders are awesome.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM

13 posts, read 14,109 times
Hi flguy, I'm visiting Chicago in a few weeks, and like you am there for only a handful of days, by myself, so I asked a similar question to yours to the knowledgeable forum folk. See this link for their helpful responses:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ew-wicker.html

If you have time to update either your topic or mine with your experiences it'd be great as might help me narrow down the many choices on offer!

Good luck, and have a great time,
Jax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago