Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 PM

144 posts, read 271,147 times

Advertisements

There's no way the Cubs are stupid enough to actually move from Wrigley (and to the suburbs), but by the .0000001% chance that they actually are, Jerry and Co. on the other side of town should have a downtown ballpark plan ready to go the day the Cubs would announce such a moronic move.

Also, if the Cubs do move from Wrigley, a reincarnation of the Whales should play there, the way it was supposed to be 100 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Anybody that thinks any McCaskey actually lost his job is the kind of person that really ought not let a street hustler ask them to find the pea under the shell...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
If they lowered the size of the jumbotron, would you be on board with it? Or is it the jumbotron itself that you dislike?
I'd rather not see one at all. If they just must have one, I could cope with one (or maybe even more than one) that wasn't so massive that it competes with the existing scoreboard to be the focal point of the entire park. If the intent is just to show replays interspersed with a few ads, they sure as fk don't need something nearly this obnoxious. All of the information on that display is already provided on the existing scoreboard and the supplemental LCD display below it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
I don't want to see the Cubs leave the city and if it comes down to them leaving vs the huge TV, I will take them staying and the huge TV. But why can't compromises be explored? Maybe more and smaller TV screens around Wrigley in a way that everybody has a good view but do not detract too much from the historical park? After all, the city and the Cubs did manage to compromise on the lights issue to the benefit of all.
Every time a team threatens to leave if they don't get their way I'm tempted to hand 'em a road map and say "GTFO." I can't stand threats as a bargaining tactic, especially hollow ones.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Default But they are noit really hollow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Every time a team threatens to leave if they don't get their way I'm tempted to hand 'em a road map and say "GTFO." I can't stand threats as a bargaining tactic, especially hollow ones.
Back when Reinsdorf was "escalating" the rhetoric to get the State to pony up for a stadium he REALLY DID get a "better deal" from Florida -- the specifics of why he let Thompson "match it" really had more to do with the sentimental feelings he harbored regarding the decades previous relocation of the Dodgers from NY when Reinsdorf was a boy and his desire not to go down in history as another greedy bum of a sports owner...

Money does not grow on trees and the actual "revenue stream" that the Rickets need to keep the Cubs viable will eventually be insufficient IF they do not act to ensure they can maximize all avenues of revenue.

Arguably the specifics of just how "vulernable" Wrigley Field is to "leaking" revenue to non-owned assets becuase of the tiny foot print of the site is the very reason why they need the biggest "blockade" they can design. Folks that compare the park to even Fenway really need to look at the specifics of the site --
Kenmore Square is far more than the low intensity residential developement that Lakeview currently has and the "depth" of Fenway itself has always "walled off" more of the field from outsiders. Short of basically doing some kind of "spaceship on Clark" that would be a riff of what happened at Soldier Field the only way to "enclose" Wrigley is with signage...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post

Also, if the Cubs do move from Wrigley, a reincarnation of the Whales should play there, the way it was supposed to be 100 years ago.
Given that the Wrigley experience is more about the environment than the team on the field, it would be great if somebody bought the stadium and just had random things on the field....college games, recreational league games, little league games, soccer matches, etc. I think more people would go to Wrigley to drink beer, chat, and bask in the sun while watching any of those events than would go to the suburbs to see the Cubs.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Default At one time it was used by the Bears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Given that the Wrigley experience is more about the environment than the team on the field, it would be great if somebody bought the stadium and just had random things on the field....college games, recreational league games, little league games, soccer matches, etc. I think more people would go to Wrigley to drink beer, chat, and bask in the sun while watching any of those events than would go to the suburbs to see the Cubs.
I remember seeing Dick Butkus play at Wrigley. It was a very diffferent time...

Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM

498 posts, read 977,880 times
CNN posted this today:

Cubs Owner Threatens to Leave Wrigley Field If New Stadium Plan Is Denied | Bleacher Report

Quote:
"I don't know where he is going to move," she said. "They come to Wrigley Field because it's an old ballpark, and it's in a neighborhood. Look at this team."
I think the article nailed it right here.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I remember seeing Dick Butkus play at Wrigley. It was a very diffferent time...
The days of Doug Atkins, Mike Pyle and a very young Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers...and an aging Papa Bear Halas...

I'm guessing that Wrigley wasn't quite as much of a shrine then..

Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Although Wrigley would be dumb a holes to move it is possible. I can go either way with them moving. The city would be stupid to not strike a deal but then again who knows.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM

Default I am thinking that is a big part of the "strateeegery"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Although Wrigley would be dumb a holes to move it is possible. I can go either way with them moving. The city would be stupid to not strike a deal but then again who knows.

The city does not own the stadium. The city has a whole lot of power to help make the roof top owners business very unatteactive by changing legitimate things like liquor licenses and zoning. Ricketts knows this. Rahm knows this. Even the rooftop spokesperson knows this. If Rickets can stay away from asking Rahm for financial help in paying for anything and avoid having anything go to the courts the whole thing goes faster...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago