Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM

6 posts, read 5,928 times

Advertisements

There are 2 apartments i am looking at:

1) near the corner of Milwaukee and Diversey, between the block of Kimball and Central Park

2) near the corner of Mileaukee and California, towards Armitage off California

If let's say 2 apartments are same of rent, size and features, just base on where the location is at, which one do you guys prefer? As in closer to train station, more restaurants and cafes in walking distance, and safety.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The latter is in a nicer part of the neighborhood IMO. They're both right next to train stations and restaurants; the latter is a more revitalized area.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
IDK, all things being equal, I think I would choose #1 for a couple of reasons:

-closer to different bars and stores in Logan Sq that are more preferable to me. Also Logan Theater is close by, which is always nice for those dull boring nights or cheap dates.

-The Logan Sq. stop is below ground vs the California stop, which is elevated. If you are particularly lazy, somewhat disabled, grossly out of shape, or just carry around a lot of heavy or unwieldy items, you should know that the Logan Sq stop is more accessible than the California stop. It's also out of the elements since it's underground.

-the Diversey bus would easily get me to the Target/Petsmart/Home Goods near Diversey and Elston.

Obviously these are somewhat superficial, personal reasons. I would agree that the area around California and Milwaukee is more gentrified and it has the bonus benefit of being near the Congress Theater and closer to Wicker Park hotspots. I've personally been around this intersection very late at night in the past and rarely felt unsafe. Then again, I know people who used to live off of Kimball and Wrightwood and never felt unsafe around that area either (I know, I'm not being very helpful!).

I think the only way to decide is to visit both neighborhoods and see which provides the sort of services/business you need the most. It's a bit more of a personal choice if it turns out that your new favorite restaurant/pub/bar is closer to #1 vs #2.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,755 times

Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,234 times
I live closer to #2 (as in, 1/4 mile) and agree with eevee on the reasons I prefer this area. If you were asking about buying, I might say #2, but for renting and for the OP I'd say #1.

It actually strikes me as kind of odd the rents would be the same, it should cost more to live closer to the Loop/further SE right off of Milwaukee if everything else is equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago