Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,680,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Financially there is probably no other state that is facing as big a mountain of pension debt.

There are many instance of people foolishly throwing their money away on everything from AMC Gremlins to Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Plumouths and Mecuries...
Illinois and the Chicago politicians have been getting griped about my whole life and my Grandparents complained about similar things back in the fifties. "It's all going to hell, they're driving this city into the ground.'

I wouldn't be surprised if there were the same things said for every generation.

I'm betting that the city and state will still be here 300 years from now. (and so will my house)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
'Flash Sales' Grow More Common | Realtor Magazine

From refin, Chicago is second to phoenix in the number of flash sales. Properties going under contract in 24 hours or less.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Illinois and the Chicago politicians have been getting griped about my whole life and my Grandparents complained about similar things back in the fifties. "It's all going to hell, they're driving this city into the ground.'

I wouldn't be surprised if there were the same things said for every generation.

I'm betting that the city and state will still be here 300 years from now. (and so will my house)
Amen, I've been hearing how politicians were screwing us all since I was old enough to know what politicians were. Chicago had much worse corruption, both political and general thruout the 20th century. Guess what? we thrived despite it. Corruption on any level is detrimental, but it has to be kept in perspective also.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I really doubt any cranky old men in the 1950s would have been able to produce so thorough and detailed a description of just how out of whack Illinois' pension problem has become: http://civiccommittee.org/initiative...lans_FINAL.pdf

The Securities & Exchange Commission is actually changing Illinios with fraud becuae of the way it failed to disclosure the magnitude of it problems when selling bonds to keep the money pump running-- Illinois public pensions - Sunshine Review

Stick your heads in the sand and pretend this is "normal" and soon other realities will be unavoidable --- Detroit's emergency financial manager won't rule out bankruptcy for the city | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Last edited by chet everett; 03-23-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Stick your heads in the sand and pretend this is "normal" and soon other realities will be unavoidable --- Detroit's emergency financial manager won't rule out bankruptcy for the city | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Maybe. Or, maybe since I've lived there my whole life with a family tree going back generations I know what 'wheels to grease' to get what I need done.

I could see if you're on the 'outside looking in' thinking this is a problem. I see this as the way things have always gotten done. In fact, I don't know any other way - it's how I was raised.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
Amen, I've been hearing how politicians were screwing us all since I was old enough to know what politicians were. Chicago had much worse corruption, both political and general thruout the 20th century. Guess what? we thrived despite it. Corruption on any level is detrimental, but it has to be kept in perspective also.
"The Machine" does not have the juice it once did. Perhaps that's part of the problem. You can't get your precinct captains to sign off on the tough measures and have rank and file fall into line. Now, we get to deal with political stalemates.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Every day the unfunded liability increases by $17,000,000. The total liability shortfall is over $96,000,000,000.

You got that much grease to spread around?

The fact is that higher taxes are going to be pushed. That will cause taxes to soar and property values to sink -- it is exactly like the situation that already exisits with older condos that have high "maintenance fees" depressing selling prices.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Probably going to start hitting up the burbs for more $$.

Higher parking at the airports, tolls to enter, maybe a downtown congestion charge added to Metra tickets.

Or, everyone's favorite, higher water prices.

I assure you, it'll get figured out. You and everyone else might not like it, but it'll get figured out.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The fact is that higher taxes are going to be pushed. That will cause taxes to soar and property values to sink -- it is exactly like the situation that already exisits with older condos that have high "maintenance fees" depressing selling prices.

Probably, but Downtown Chicago is still where all the high paying jobs are which should buoy property values close to the CBD. Rents will go up to compensate. No one wants to sit in traffic for hours anymore, look at the rising rents. It's not as if some suburb is going to come in and replace the loop.

The only real alternative is to leave the midwest entirely, but there's a lot of people who won't do that.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM

955 posts, read 1,832,882 times
Quote:
Every day the unfunded liability increases by $17,000,000. The total liability shortfall is over $96,000,000,000.

You got that much grease to spread around?

No Chet taxes do not have to skyrocket to solve the problem. And a liability is still owed whether it is paid today or next month. That 17 mill is due to be paid out many, many years from now and it drops precipitously when reforms are eventually passed. Either by this legislature or the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago