Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,501 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I plan on moving to the chicago area in july to study nursing at Loyola University. The nursing school is located at the Maywood campus near Loyola University Medical Center. I need a place to live that isn't too bad of a commute. I have a car so driving is not an issue. I am looking for an area that is safe for single female to reside that is not too far from Loyola University Medical Center and not too far from downtown chicago. Please give me insight/suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
There are several close suburbs that have affordable apartments, are convenient and safe, and keep you close to easy routes to downtown Chicago (expressway, public transportation by train). Oak Park is popular with many who work/study at Loyola, and if you want a slightly cheaper rent, then I would check Forest Park (close to Madison street has the most lively restaurants/shops/pubs). Berwyn would have the shortest commute, and has an evolving strip on Roosevelt road with convenient shopping, a cute little theater and interesting eateries.

All 3 of these towns are a very close commute by car to Loyola. I would recommend coming for a visit and take a quick walk around. I would also ask your nursing department where the students tend to live, especially if you think you might want a roommate.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Brookfield and Riverside

Straight south down 1st Ave access from Brookfield to Loyola's Maywood CPUs is hard to beat and you need not worry about safety as you might have to if you look to other towns. Adjacent to Brookfield there are a number of apartments in Riverside as well.

Bus service along 1st Ave is decent and Metra service to Loop is first rate too.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 29,330 times
Oak Park would be my choice. You have the Green line or the Blue to take you downtown when you need to. Lots of shops and restaurants.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Brookfield and Riverside in terms of proximity to the hospital. Oak Park, Forest Park, and perhaps LaGrange Park are other options

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,027 times
My wife worked at the Children's Hospital on the LUMC campus over there. Most of the younger nurses/MDs/techs lived on of two places: Oak Park/Forest Park area or in the city. If you live in the city, people tended to live in West Loop/University Village/South Loop. We were in the west Loop and there were a ton of nurses and residents living in our condo building.

From an expense and commute standpoint, I'd look into Forest Park close to the main hub along Madison. It offers solid entertainment and cheaper prices with decent proximity to transit into the city.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:09 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
My wife worked at the Children's Hospital on the LUMC campus over there. Most of the younger nurses/MDs/techs lived on of two places: Oak Park/Forest Park area or in the city. If you live in the city, people tended to live in West Loop/University Village/South Loop. We were in the west Loop and there were a ton of nurses and residents living in our condo building.
This is my experience too. I have a friend who lived in Oak Park and worked at Loyola but ended up moving to the West Loop to be closer to the city life. Chet's suggestions are practical but boring and will stunt your social life.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 04-10-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Nursing students in Chicago / the region are probably wise to focus on their studies. The job market for health care workers is still stronger than for many sectors but students with poor grades will regret spending too much time pursuing social concerns and not enough time building a resume that will allow them to live anywhere they want after they are hired full time...

Competition for top ranked employers remains fierce. Should one decide to stack Nurse Practioner training on for the increased responsibility / compensation that offers it is important to have both a solid academic record and employment that will make you a good candidate for further specialization.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 AM

172 posts, read 438,450 times
When deciding where to live, I would also take where your clinicals will be into consideration. When I was in nursing school, we had some choice to where our clinicals would be. I usually picked west suburbs or medical district because I lived closer. I agree with chet that even though the job market for health care workers is better than some other fields, it still can be difficult to find a job. Start networking right away! If you can get a part-time job as a PCT or CNA while in school, that is the best. I know a lot of nurses who got jobs that way.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
North Riverside. Riverside. Oak Park. Forest Park. Or, even in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago