Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 907 times

Advertisements

I was pulled over while working a gig in Cook County. I was driving a company vehicle and was pulled over for non-working tail light. The officer also gave me a ticket because the plate sticker was expired. I have a court date to answer these charges.

I no longer work for the company that owns the vehicle and I am not in contact with them. As evidenced from the state of their vehicle, they were a poorly run company and I dont want anything to do with them. They also have no returned my phone calls or emails asking if they have proof of fixing what was ticketed.

So, am I going to be held liable for this? I do not have enough money to hire an attorney (I'll barely have enough to pay for the tickets if found guilty). I will tell the judge the truth: I do not own the vehicle nor do I work for that company anymore and plead not guilty.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:27 PM

264 posts, read 280,490 times
The first thing you need to do is sleep with the judge. I'll assume that's a given.

Okay, but seriously, here's what I would do. Start off by apologizing and show him that you are a good, respectful guy. Explain the situation and let the judge know that this was a work vehicle and you didn't think to inspect it because you treated your boss. Let him know that you were trying to work hard and do what was asked of you.

Don't have too much pride to apologize and admit that you made a mistake. They will find that refreshing. Look the part - wear a suit if you have one. Explain the situation without taking to much time to throw blame away from yourself.

It could also help to show unanswered emails and anything else you can use to show that you can't get a hold of your formal employer. But in every step, don't lower yourself, sounds respectful and professional. It sounds silly, but it will go a long way.

Good luck, man! Fight the power! ; )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago