Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,024,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I don't understand why we need to keep going over the same topics. If you want to know about racial experiences in Chicago there has been much written about it on CD and the internet.

I don't enjoy writing about the subject just like most don't like reading about it. It's a very ugly side to the culture of this city.

Just Google racism in Chicago, Wrigleyville, Lakeview and Boystown and you will have enough information and a very good snap shot of how racist this city can be towards black residents.

Couldn't the same be said about neighborhoods on the Southside?
Does Englewood, South Shore, etc roll out the welcome matt for white people?
I covered the entire S Side as a sales territory years ago, so I'm familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,205,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I covered the entire S Side as a sales territory years ago, so I'm familiar with the area.

A couple of years back, my sister and nephew were living on the "more Irish side" of Beverly. Some Irish kids tried to beat up my nephew. Said he didn't belong there. Not saying black-on-white racism doesn't exist. It most definitely does. But racism doesn't effect whites in the way it does blacks. Racism effects black people's livelihood. It's one thing for a white person to be called a name by a black person. It's something entirely different when you are denied jobs and housing because of your race.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,568,282 times
and another thing when black teens run amuck at festivals and outdoor functions, attacking whites because they're white. When comparing black-on-white vs white-on-black violence...come on, it's not even close, and a lot of these hoods are doing it because of class and race hatred, ignorance and envy. That sounds like racism to me.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
and another thing when black teens run amuck at festivals and outdoor functions, attacking whites because they're white. When comparing black-on-white vs white-on-black violence...come on, it's not even close, and a lot of these hoods are doing it because of class and race hatred, ignorance and envy. That sounds like racism to me.
All racism and prejudice is wrong, especially when it resorts to violence. But again, this was the purpose of creating the concept of race and fostering hatred based on skin color differences in the first place--to create socio-economic divisions based on skin-color/ethnicity, putting white people at the top and black people on the bottom, and creating hatred to justify why one group should be superior to the other. Class warfare and racism go hand-in-hand. That was the whole point of it. This is history. This is what the 1% wanted centuries ago, and this is what the 1% wants to continue to happen now.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 10-28-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,927,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
That doesn't justify open racial hostility. I don't care who does it.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:23 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,841,495 times
Racism goes all ways really. I think all of us are conditioned in America to think that racism is only black-white and nothing else. I think that's very sad.

One time I was in Edgewater and a guy was selling a bunch of CDs on the street right next to the Berwyn stop. I stopped by since I love music and listen to all different types. It was a lot of Soul (which I love) and gospel. As I was looking at it, the main guy was saying how I didn't belong there and how I didn't know any of these people because I'm white, and that I should just leave. When I told him I'm mixed race and not 100% white, all of a sudden he's like "oh well in that case" and stopped being an ******* to me about it. He started being friendly towards me even. Not that I cared, but I thought it was really weird how me saying that would make him stop, as if something magically changed between me showing up there and indicating that I was not 100% white in like 5 minutes. My music tastes and open mindedness in his mind apparently instantly changed.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,927,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Racism goes all ways really. I think all of us are conditioned in America to think that racism is only black-white and nothing else. I think that's very sad.

One time I was in Edgewater and a guy was selling a bunch of CDs on the street right next to the Berwyn stop. I stopped by since I love music and listen to all different types. It was a lot of Soul (which I love) and gospel. As I was looking at it, the main guy was saying how I didn't belong there and how I didn't know any of these people because I'm white, and that I should just leave. When I told him I'm mixed race and not 100% white, all of a sudden he's like "oh well in that case" and stopped being an ******* to me about it. He started being friendly towards me even. Not that I cared, but I thought it was really weird how me saying that would make him stop, as if something magically changed between me showing up there and indicating that I was not 100% white in like 5 minutes. My music tastes and open mindedness in his mind apparently instantly changed.
That happens all the time and all over the country. I'm a big Sarah Brightman fan. When I first moved to Chicago, she had a concert and many Whites where amused that a Black man liked her music. Blacks where like who is Sarah Brightman. Mexicans where like what are you? I mean you can't be Black? LMBO!!!

If people only understood how foolish they are telling people what type of music listen to based on skin pigmentation.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,841,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That happens all the time and all over the country. I'm a big Sarah Brightman fan. When I first moved to Chicago, she had a concert and many Whites where amused that a Black man liked her music. Blacks where like who is Sarah Brightman. Mexicans where like what are you? I mean you can't be Black? LMBO!!!

If people only understood how foolish they are telling people what type of music listen to based on skin pigmentation.
It does, and I think it's sad. I have sung in gospel churches in Harlem and Brooklyn before as a performer, and when I tell people this, they are like "wait, what!? why??" I like all types of music, it transcends race. I think it's totally stupid that people think you have to be a particular race to like some type of music. They don't get it. Like people are shocked when a white guy can sing R&B/gospel/soul or when a black man can sing opera or something.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,701,922 times
I'm surprised people of any race like Sarah Brightman.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 AM

I experience a certain type of racism from the young black men selling the CD's. They see me and think because I'm black that I should support them and take a little bit of offense whenever I say no when they try to sell to me. When they ask my why I don't want to buy anything from them, they are shocked because I tell them that they don't sell anything that I listen to. Then they ask what kind of music I DO listen to; after all because I'm black I should listen only to rap, hip hop and R&B. Then they assume I must be religious so I only want gospel. Then I tell them I don't listen to that either because I'm not Christian.

Folks just don't know what to make of a black Buddhist who listens to Latin, Middle Eastern, Indian, rock, alternative, punk and classical lol.

I got quite a few stares when I went to see Marc Anthony and Depeche Mode in concert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago