Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I was joking. I don't date. There are far better ways to waste time and money.
You've got that right!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
When one who does not live in Chicago starts a "hot button" topic in Chicago the results are predictable. OTOH, the people who live in Chicago that post in this forum usually discuss local issues.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Look, I get the point of these threads. We're trying to actually quantify discourse in regards to "racism in Chicago", and whether it exists or not. The unfortunate end result is lots of people with clearly strong and biased opinions using this as a springboard to complain and use personal examples (in either regard) over quantifiable data. I can understand getting defensive in your regards to your position, but this is nothing more than embarrassing to your city and the people who represent it. Personally I don't see the racism, nor have I ever viewed it. At the same time I'm a 30 year old middle-class white male who can't presume to know what it's like being raised a minority in a poverty-stricken neighborhood.

Can we please end the racism-themed threads and move on to topics that are genuinely beneficial to all or most of the people on the forum?
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Look, I get the point of these threads. We're trying to actually quantify discourse in regards to "racism in Chicago", and whether it exists or not. The unfortunate end result is lots of people with clearly strong and biased opinions using this as a springboard to complain and use personal examples (in either regard) over quantifiable data. I can understand getting defensive in your regards to your position, but this is nothing more than embarrassing to your city and the people who represent it. Personally I don't see the racism, nor have I ever viewed it. At the same time I'm a 30 year old middle-class white male who can't presume to know what it's like being raised a minority in a poverty-stricken neighborhood.

Can we please end the racism-themed threads and move on to topics that are genuinely beneficial to all or most of the people on the forum?
Hi progmichael,

I understand where your coming from. As a middle class Black man who was raised in middle class black suburbia, I don't know what it's like to be black and grow up in or live in poverty. (I think we may have more in common than you think).

As a professional Black male, I do experience a discrimination that I know extends through class into race in Chicago that I have never experienced before. Many non Blacks on CD and in Chicago want to deny that those things exist.

Being comfortably in the top 5 most segregated cities, higher than 50% unemployment rate among Black males, looking at other cities that are so called less advanced expose a more inclusive work force in some industries such as business and construction, there is a problem and the city should be embarrassed. People are not going to stop writing about it. It's part of living in this city so many love. Is real and isn't going away.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Hi progmichael,

I understand where your coming from. As a middle class Black man who was raised in middle class black suburbia, I don't know what it's like to be black and grow up in or live in poverty. (I think we may have more in common than you think).

As a professional Black male, I do experience a discrimination that I know extends through class into race in Chicago that I have never experienced before. Many non Blacks on CD and in Chicago want to deny that those things exist.

Being comfortably in the top 5 most segregated cities, higher than 50% unemployment rate among Black males, looking at other cities that are so called less advanced expose a more inclusive work force in some industries such as business and construction, there is a problem and the city should be embarrassed. People are not going to stop writing about it. It's part of living in this city so many love. Is real and isn't going away.
I think it's also nice for people to have a place to vent and share opinions. What Chicago needs is not more people sticking their heads in the sand, we need more people to step up and say this kind of crap is not all right.

mjtinmemphis said it best when he questioned what kind of fool just insults strangers on the street. Just out of self-preservation you'd think most people would know better- you can't judge a book by its cover. I know outwardly-timid and skinny-looking dudes that are actually MMA fighters able to send most self-appointed tough guys to the hospital in 2 minutes.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
As to the topic, I also saw plenty of racism and hostility at Oak beach last year on July 4th, when around 11pm out of NOWHERE a bunch (dozens) of ghetto (or whatever the PC term is for low-income, no respect, deviant) kids were running into the tunnel, screaming, and calling everyone n-gger and f-ggot, plus some other ugly stuff that was hard to make out. It got ugly fast, with pushing and yelling, and my friends and I got the hell out. In an instant the night went from fun to tension-filled.

Whether it's racism or simply hate...oh, who cares. Basically it's the same thing at that point. There is a lot of black hating white/non ghetto culture, yet the articles and forums seem to always focus on whites/functional people being the perpetrators. And that's just not the case.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
As to the topic, I also saw plenty of racism and hostility at Oak beach last year on July 4th, when around 11pm out of NOWHERE a bunch (dozens) of ghetto (or whatever the PC term is for low-income, no respect, deviant) kids were running into the tunnel, screaming, and calling everyone n-gger and f-ggot, plus some other ugly stuff that was hard to make out. It got ugly fast, with pushing and yelling, and my friends and I got the hell out. In an instant the night went from fun to tension-filled.

Whether it's racism or simply hate...oh, who cares. Basically it's the same thing at that point. There is a lot of black hating white/non ghetto culture, yet the articles and forums seem to always focus on whites/functional people being the perpetrators. And that's just not the case.
I don't hang out on oak street beach. I prefer Southside beaches a lot more peaceful and safer.

No one is discussing functional white people. We are writing about dysfunctional white people who think it's acceptable to be racist.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I don't hang out on oak street beach. I prefer Southside beaches a lot more peaceful and safer.

No one is discussing functional white people. We are writing about dysfunctional white people who think it's acceptable to be racist.
The us vs. them approach is getting kind of old.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
The us vs. them approach is getting kind of old.
You don't have to read my post if you don't like what I have to say.

Us vs them is what had caused segregation that you support. You don't want to be called on it.

Get rid of your us vs them mentality and make the world a better place.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You don't have to read my post if you don't like what I have to say.

Us vs them is what had caused segregation that you support. You don't want to be called on it.

Get rid of your us vs them mentality and make the world a better place.
Segregation that I support?! Please elaborate how I support segregation.

You are telling me to stop the us vs. them mentality? Haha. you have proven to do so more than I have. All I have to say to you is pot meet kettle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago