Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,315,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Which do you think should become the landmark? The Wrigley Building or the Water Tower? The Sears Tower has a good start, but as other buildings get taller, it's getting more competitive. Cloud Gate has potential. It's a shame the White City is not still around.

The Chicago Spire could've been the one.
The white city would have done wonders! Yeah the spire definitely would have been one too.

The sears tower the problem for me is that I don't think it has aged well. Not horribly, but not good. I dunno I just don't think the Sears tower is special, just it's height, like you said there are several now that are taller, so it's so so design really doesn't help.

I think the Wrigley building could be, but I think it just gets overpowered and balanced out by the buildings it's surrounded by. But definitely could become more of an icon. But cloud gate is the most unique out of all the landmarks in Chicago, and not sure if you have noticed, now everytime they show Chicago on TV they usually show the bean first! I think there was a movie that was pretty popular last year where a major romantic scene was filmed under the bean.

I don't have an affinity for the bean, but it has become extremely popular both nationally and internationally and with time could become that "logo" for Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Also imagine if the Baha'i temple was located somewhere near downtown on the lake. Imagine if it were standing right where the planetarium is. Would have been very iconic.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:56 PM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
Nothing at all is needed. Travel & Leisure had something recentlly where Chicago is the 2nd favorite tourist city in the US. Sears Tower is without question iconic and famous. I mean c'mon, whether one agrees with it from an architectural standpoint or whatever...it's absolutely iconic and one of the tallest buildings in the world to this day. Some hermit in Billings, Montana could tell you that. The bean is pretty iconic as well..see it in national commercials, travel shows, food shows, etc., quite a bit. Was at a wedding recently in Toronto, and those two icons were brought up by Londoners when the topic of Chicago came up. Well that and the "Windy City" moniker. Chicago and it's landmarks/institutions are WELL known outside Chicago..trust me. I moved here from a place where people would not have any ties to the Midwest or Chicago, and to a person....they all knew plenty about this town. I think people on this forum are delusional or something. Chicago is f**king Chicago. Without question one of the more iconic cities in this country, yet some people are convinced people haven't heard of it.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,502,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Nothing at all is needed. Travel & Leisure had something recentlly where Chicago is the 2nd favorite tourist city in the US. Sears Tower is without question iconic and famous. I mean c'mon, whether one agrees with it from an architectural standpoint or whatever...it's absolutely iconic and one of the tallest buildings in the world to this day. Some hermit in Billings, Montana could tell you that. The bean is pretty iconic as well..see it in national commercials, travel shows, food shows, etc., quite a bit. Was at a wedding recently in Toronto, and those two icons were brought up by Londoners when the topic of Chicago came up. Well that and the "Windy City" moniker. Chicago and it's landmarks/institutions are WELL known outside Chicago..trust me. I moved here from a place where people would not have any ties to the Midwest or Chicago, and to a person....they all knew plenty about this town. I think people on this forum are delusional or something. Chicago is f**king Chicago. Without question one of the more iconic cities in this country, yet some people are convinced people haven't heard of it.
I don't think it's a question of having heard of Chicago. I think it's more of how underrated it is because people (who haven't visited) have a different perception of it because of the media and other things. Hell, I had to tell a group of people The Dark Knight's backdrops were all Chicago, they all thought it was New York City. People know Chicago, one of the oldest cities in the U.S., but they don't know what it offers, especially for tourism. That's why I find it to be underrated.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
But they do, in my experiences. I moved here from North Carolina 4 years ago. Had office mates there from South Africa, NYC, a few native North Carolinians, a Texan (Austin), some guy from Southern California. They all knew Chicago was awesome. There was no 'sell' needed to explain Chicago, it was just a given. Not an issue IMO. Is it as represented as NY in movies? Nah..but then again, it's in quite a few movies, tv shows, etc. If I'm at a wedding and speaking with people who have lived in London their whole lives, and they know a good bit on surface level about Chicago despite never having visited? That should tell you something.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 PM

934 posts, read 1,439,961 times
I personally have always liked the Sears Tower, and think it's a world class structure. It's a very powerful looking structure that fits Chicago well, and I love how it shape-shift depending on the angle. The new Skydeck glass boxes were also a very ingenious move to attract tourist. When I went to Chicago for the first time with some friends, we all were so excited to go to the Sears, and it was filled with people from all over the world.

Also the Chicago Theater Marquee is very well-known. And the Baha'i is insanely gorgeous!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
It's simple - just legalize marijuana, prostitution and gambling. Tourist jackpot!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I don't think Chicago is marketed well when compared to other popular cities.
LA -Hollyword, home of the stars, Rodeo Drive.
NY - the Big Apple, the city that never sleeps. New York, New York is the city song.
SF - Trolly cars. city by the bay, Golden Gate Bridge
Boston - Boston Chowder, Boston Beans, Boston Pops, Boston Commons, Charles River
NOLA, the Big Easy, Jazz, Creole, Cajun, Chicory Coffee, French Quarter, Basin Street, Carriage rides...
Chicago - the town that Billy Sunday could not shut down - hot dogs, pizza, sports, the lake, the bean, Picasso, skyscrapers, the EL, the water taxi, LSD, Gold Coast, Michigan Ave...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I don't think Chicago is marketed well when compared to other popular cities.
LA -Hollyword, home of the stars, Rodeo Drive.
NY - the Big Apple, the city that never sleeps. New York, New York is the city song.
SF - Trolly cars. city by the bay, Golden Gate Bridge
Boston - Boston Chowder, Boston Beans, Boston Pops, Boston Commons, Charles River
NOLA, the Big Easy, Jazz, Creole, Cajun, Chicory Coffee, French Quarter, Basin Street, Carriage rides...
Chicago - the town that Billy Sunday could not shut down - hot dogs, pizza, sports, the lake, the bean, Picasso, skyscrapers, the EL, the water taxi, LSD, Gold Coast, Michigan Ave...
The TALLEST skyscraper in the country?

I think the Sears Tower is a pretty major tourist attraction. However, you simply referenced "skyscrapers" in the middle of your list..

Perhaps Navy Pier should be more marketed throughout the country? This is assuming that more tourism is, in fact, desired..

Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Almost all visitors that have come here that I know aren't sure which building is the Sears tower (they confuse it with Hancock ALOT). I think the Sears Hancock is more iconic in name than visually or as a "logo".

It's kind of like Buckingham Palace in London. Everyone knows its in London, but I think most people cant picture it in their head. Visually it's not as iconic just in name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago