Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
...washed down with 10,000 calories of craft beer!
That I can get behind.

I just think people miss out seeing the real authentic cool stuff in a lot of cases.

And sometimes you try to throw it out there but they are not interested.

C'est la vie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,276,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...potentially making for a 20,000-calorie pile of yack.

EDIT: Man some of the auto-censored words in this place are just head-scratchers. Can anyone think of any plausible reason why the word y-a-k would be censored?
"There shall be no references to barf on City Data."

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
I think a statue would probably do.

That and tv shows/movies

Its crazy how some people are easily influenced by the media.

mas23

Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I agree with the whole historical thing + monuments. People at that **** up for real. The Bean is a good example. It's not historic and it's just an interesting big "statue" and it draws huge crowds.

I was recently in Istanbul again with my girlfriend, her first time there. Amazing historical city right, but a few of the things are just like "why?" The Basilica Cistern was one of the main water supply cisterns in the ancient city. I've been there enough times but my girlfriend was just saying "why the **** did we just pay 10 lira for that?" It's just an underground, albeit ominous and cool, cavern BUT people eat. that. ****. up because they know it had to do with the Byzantines and Romans and whoever else. It was important because it stored water for the city (and disease) but they know how to market this stuff and get huge lines queued up to be in it.

Chicago has some historical things although for someone from many areas of the world, it's probably not as interesting to them as it might be to an American. With the food and entertainment deal, Chicago can definitely live up to a lot of cities around the world regarding that. I just think the deal is poor marketing and also the safety thing. I'm in Malaysia right now and my girlfriend's parents, when we were talking about safety of the US, right away brought up how they thought Chicago was violent all over the place. We had to tell them it's not really like that and IMO that type of thing can play a huge role in tourism. Mind you, this is coming from people who were warning me about not leaving expensive things (i.e. phones) at the food table at some restaurants in their country because random gangs will come in and rob everyone in the restaurant of their belongings.

Although I'm not a big fan of typical tourists as I live "downtown," I understand how important it is.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-06-2013 at 05:19 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Emathias, you should be da mare.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree with the whole historical thing + monuments. People at that **** up for real. The Bean is a good example. It's not historic and it's just an interesting big "statue" and it draws huge crowds...

I have a great idea... dare I say brilliant.

I just got this idea while reading through this thread. It's insanely cheap, extremely historical, and gets people out and about in the city.

Do we all know what the Freedom Trail is? Here's a map of it: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/maps/...on-nps-map.pdf

Now what about a walking path that encompasses the area burned down in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871?

Here's a map of what burned to the ground: Progress of the Chicago Fire of 1871;* Michael P. Conzen with research assistance from Christopher P. Thale, and cartographic design by Dennis McClendon, from Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago, reproduced with permission of the Newberry Library. | T

While the Freedom Trail in Boston takes people to various sites that were important to the founding of our country, the Great Chicago Fire Trail would give people a real idea of how much of Chicago was literally destroyed... and what was built after, ergo the "Second City" nickname.

And how cheap would it be? Hell, just paint a line down existing sidewalks, and maybe add sidewalks where need be, some mile markers... maybe some plaques or something, then call it a day. Using my very rough estimates in google maps, it would be 10-15 miles long and cover a lot of ground that typical tourists wouldn't go to on their own.

But if there was a line they could follow and know it was "historical", well, that's a different story.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
I don't think anything should be done to promote more tourism. I think Chicago gets plenty of tourist dollars but mountains of other problems it needs to work on.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
"There shall be no references to barf on City Data."
It has nothing to do with barf. That's the user name of a City Data adminstator - someone you would report moderator behavior to. And yeah, you can't post his or her name in the public forum.

I'm surpsided Drover (member since 06) doesn't know who Y@k is.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I don't think anything should be done to promote more tourism. I think Chicago gets plenty of tourist dollars but mountains of other problems it needs to work on.
I don't think it needs more tourism per say, but I certainly think its needs a boost in its international image and reputation.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I have a great idea... dare I say brilliant.

I just got this idea while reading through this thread. It's insanely cheap, extremely historical, and gets people out and about in the city.

Do we all know what the Freedom Trail is? Here's a map of it: http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/maps/...on-nps-map.pdf

Now what about a walking path that encompasses the area burned down in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871?

Here's a map of what burned to the ground: Progress of the Chicago Fire of 1871;* Michael P. Conzen with research assistance from Christopher P. Thale, and cartographic design by Dennis McClendon, from Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago, reproduced with permission of the Newberry Library. | T

While the Freedom Trail in Boston takes people to various sites that were important to the founding of our country, the Great Chicago Fire Trail would give people a real idea of how much of Chicago was literally destroyed... and what was built after, ergo the "Second City" nickname.

And how cheap would it be? Hell, just paint a line down existing sidewalks, and maybe add sidewalks where need be, some mile markers... maybe some plaques or something, then call it a day. Using my very rough estimates in google maps, it would be 10-15 miles long and cover a lot of ground that typical tourists wouldn't go to on their own.

But if there was a line they could follow and know it was "historical", well, that's a different story.
Creative, but wouldn't help very much. I mean most people have never really heard of the Freedom Trail in Boston. TBH while Chicago has history, it's still too young to sell on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago