Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachb7 View Post
I'm 26. the wife and I both grew up in the suburbs (her of a small city in ct, me of boston), and she kinda wants to get out of the city. So restaurants and bars is ok, but just looking for a place that feels more "neighborhoody" than "city"
Can you come for a visit before you make a decision? I'd recommend that. Neighborhoods like Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, and Andersonville have folks your age, (I should know. I'm one of 'em) but are VERY neighborhoody. Getting downtown can take 20-45 min on the el from those 'hoods, but I take the Metra from Ravenswood and get to Ogilvie Station right in the loop in about 15 minutes. Parts of Lakeview and Lincoln Park are closer in and still have a nice neighborhoody feel, particularly in the western part of the north Lincoln Park/South Lakeview area (around, say, Diversey and Sheffield).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:30 AM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
a nice two bedroom condo will run you $1700 - $2500 plus $150-$200/month for parking

Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
Are you talking about renting or buying? If you are talking about renting, what neighborhoods are you talking about? I know loads of people who rent two bedroom apartments for much less than that, and usually in the neighborhoods that I'm familiar with (e.g. not lincoln park/old town/gold coast/ wrigleyville) either parking is on the street, or occasionally included for anywhere from free to 125 a month. The neighborhoods I suggested to the OP fall in the range that was asked for as well as not being very dense and/or full of college students who like to party into the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, and as far as the car questions are concerned. It would be helpful, but not necessary. I know loads of people who live in the areas I suggested with no car and it could easily be done, but if you have one, or can get one cheep, you might like the convenience it offers, or you could look into a car sharing scheme like IGO or Zipcar (that is what I do).

Old 11-06-2007, 08:41 AM

12 posts, read 71,684 times
just made plans to visit again the first week of December. I'm definitely relocating now, so I think am starting to zero in on Oak Park, and the area around Lakeview. Thanks for all the info so far.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Chicago is VERY neighborhoody. I live in Lakeview just a few miles north of downtown in the heart of the city, and it's still very much a neighborhood. Very dense housing, but still quiet streets, safe, very "cute".

I would look in Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square. It's closer than living in a suburb. Also might want to try Oak Park or Evanston, you can take the L ( or better yet Metra ).

I had a friend who lived in the burbs next to a metra station and took the express train straight into Ogilvy Station each morning. We worked in the office tower hooked onto that station and she had a 12 minute commute from the burbs to our office! So it is very easy with Metra to get downtown quickly if you don't want to be in the city.

I would DEFINITELY say look somewhere in the city limits though. The burbs just seem so dry. Exceptions might be Oak Park or Evanston...but they're literally just extensions of the city in themselves.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Here are a few shots of Lakeview. This is very dense for a city neighborhood. You can find many more single family homes and less density in Roscoe Village or Lincoln Square. Still nice though.....

Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
a nice two bedroom condo will run you $1700 - $2500 plus $150-$200/month for parking
Where? You can get someplace for much cheaper (unless you are talking about a specific neighborhood and I missed it)....

Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM

12 posts, read 71,684 times
wow.. stopped getting email updates for some reason and hadn't checked up. there's some really great info here, and thanks for posting the pics Chicago! I think we've narrowed our search down to Oak Park, Evanston, and Lakeview. We'll be in the city this weekend to look at places, so looking forward to visiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago