Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

190 posts, read 315,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are parts of the country where the overall opportunities available to young people and the costs of living are both more favorable.
cost of living in chicago is fairly low for a city of it's size and stature.

there are more opportunities for young people in chicago than most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:42 PM

541 posts, read 912,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Really depends what you are looking for.

As others have mentioned, there's a ton to do, all the time. And the weather is good 5 months out of the year (April-June, September-October).

That being said, it is expensive to live in the city. Obviously rent is dependent on where you live. More affordable places are 6+ miles outside of the loop. Public transportation is great, but it does add up. Want to see your friends who live 4 miles away? That's $4.50 for the CTA. Biking can be an option, but obviously that depends if you are carrying anything and, of course, the weather. Parking is expensive, and there aren't a lot of free places to park when shopping. Some stores have lots where its free with a certain amount purchased, but not all.

Personally, I'm torn. My ideal situation would be to live/work in Hyde Park or in Evanston. You get the benefit of both worlds -- short commute, less expensive rent, ability to have a car, more suburban feel.... but still have direct (25 minute?) access to the city to visit and play on the weekends.

I thought it was like NYC, where its one ride but unlimited transfer? How is it $4.50?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
I thought it was like NYC, where its one ride but unlimited transfer? How is it $4.50?
The ride there is $2.25, and if you stay longer than 2 hours, it's $2.25 back. The details are hard to explain, but the transfer situation is actually much better in Chicago than in NYC.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
The ride there is $2.25, and if you stay longer than 2 hours, it's $2.25 back. The details are hard to explain, but the transfer situation is actually much better in Chicago than in NYC.

Interesting, cause im pondering moving out to Chicago next month and wondered about the CTA.

NYC is $2.50 for a single ride, city wide.

Does Chicago have progressive fares for certain distances?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Interesting, cause im pondering moving out to Chicago next month and wondered about the CTA.

NYC is $2.50 for a single ride, city wide.

Does Chicago have progressive fares for certain distances?
Not in the CTA network, which covers the city proper plus a handful of close-in suburbs, although if you do need to transfer, it costs a little extra ($0.25 if I'm not mistaken) and covers two additional rides within two hours.

Now, if you're traveling to more distant suburbs, you'd either use the PACE bus system or else the Metra trains. Metra does have progressive fares based on distance, and I believe (but am not sure) that PACE does also.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 23,731 times
Born in the 'burbs, raised in the 'burbs/City proper. Lived here all of my loooooong 21 years of life.
After graduating high school i traveled around the country A LOT with friends, family, alone. after experiencing several states and spending time exploring various cities, (Mostly Nashville, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston due to friends living in each). Nothing quite compares to Chicago. So much to do, for anyone with any interest. Chicago is verrrrry affordable (relatively compared to NYC/LA/SF ect..)
So many good eats. so many good bars. so many good sights. and as previous posters have stated, from about right now in late april thru October, the weather in Chicago is GORGEOUS. I dont foresee myself leaving the 312 anytime in the near future!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,775 times
I love Chicago, but how it is to live there depends entirely on where you live. My brother and my cousin have both refused to take me to our old "neighborhood", because of the high crime rate and violence in that area.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Not in the CTA network, which covers the city proper plus a handful of close-in suburbs, although if you do need to transfer, it costs a little extra ($0.25 if I'm not mistaken) and covers two additional rides within two hours.

Now, if you're traveling to more distant suburbs, you'd either use the PACE bus system or else the Metra trains. Metra does have progressive fares based on distance, and I believe (but am not sure) that PACE does also.

Ive used the Metra before a few years ago.

Its basically your version of the Metro North/NJ Transit/LIRR.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownBurbs View Post
Born in the 'burbs, raised in the 'burbs/City proper. Lived here all of my loooooong 21 years of life.
After graduating high school i traveled around the country A LOT with friends, family, alone. after experiencing several states and spending time exploring various cities, (Mostly Nashville, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston due to friends living in each). Nothing quite compares to Chicago. So much to do, for anyone with any interest. Chicago is verrrrry affordable (relatively compared to NYC/LA/SF ect..)
So many good eats. so many good bars. so many good sights. and as previous posters have stated, from about right now in late april thru October, the weather in Chicago is GORGEOUS. I dont foresee myself leaving the 312 anytime in the near future!

Is it really April-October?

Im not saying its ****ing Honolulu everyday but..

Old 04-07-2013, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 23,731 times
Honestly yes. The weather this week is looking a little bipolar. but later April is usually nice weather. (around 60-70ish degrees) and in the last few years the nice weather has managed to hang around actually in my opinion all the way into early November. May through late August is pretty much non stop sunny days with a slight breeze. It gets humid on the hotter days, but it's nothing like the sweltering heat and humidity you'd feel in a major southern city like Nashville, or Atlanta. A few rainy days thrown in here and there. and Fall weather in Chicago is simply amazing. very mild and crisp. perfect for outdoor activities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago