Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times

Advertisements

Just want to get an idea from people on how they would improve the tourism in the city. I would say, as I've said before, Chicago's a pretty underrated tourist city. With that said, there's always room for improvement. Adding amenities, making certain things more accessible, etc. So what kind of amenities would you add to boost tourism? I know Rahm is trying to make it a competitive tourist city among the other great tourist cities in the U.S. like NYC and SF, I believe there was an article last month about some of the ideas he has of adding things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Chicago hotel occupancy rises in March - Tourism News - Crain's Chicago Business

Very timely

Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
As tacky is this is, having an extremely iconic and monumental landmark helps spark interest and can act as bait to get people to come. You want people to say "I have always wanted to see the _________ in Chicago".

Think of why Sydney is so much more popular than Melbourne. Barcelona over Madrid. Rio de Janeiro over Buenos Aires ( yes I know different countries).

It's pretty much a way to help build the city's brand. I look at it as being the logo for the city, and right now Chicago doesn't have much of a logo.

The only thing Chicago now has that could become that is cloud gate/the bean. Of course there is a lot more to improve tourism, but in order this would certainly help.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
It's ironic. I think a significant number of Chicagoans are tired of and annoyed by tourists, particularly those who work downtown or live in trendy north side neighborhoods. But we still want to catch up with New York.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
As tacky is this is, having an extremely iconic and monumental landmark helps spark interest and can act as bait to get people to come. You want people to say "I have always wanted to see the _________ in Chicago".

Think of why Sydney is so much more popular than Melbourne. Barcelona over Madrid. Rio de Janeiro over Buenos Aires ( yes I know different countries).

It's pretty much a way to help build the city's brand. I look at it as being the logo for the city, and right now Chicago doesn't have much of a logo.

The only thing Chicago now has that could become that is cloud gate/the bean. Of course there is a lot more to improve tourism, but in order this would certainly help.
Do you have any ideas as to what such a logo might be? Awesome buildings seem to be our strong point, but would one really awesome building bring more tourists? We can't really go back in time and build some historic landmark, but there could be something else to do here.

Maybe an Al Capone theme park? That seems to be what everyone knows about Chicago.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Sell wildings as a spectator activity.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
The cheesy way: lure Hollywood to make more films about Chicago, some of your best marketing right there. Hollywood is what helped perpetuate the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty as recognizable landmarks.

However, I feel like some of Chicago's tourism stems from being the underrated city for off-the-beaten-path international travelers. To a degree that image sells, maybe not as well as glamourous, but still...

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Do you have any ideas as to what such a logo might be? Awesome buildings seem to be our strong point, but would one really awesome building bring more tourists? We can't really go back in time and build some historic landmark, but there could be something else to do here.

Maybe an Al Capone theme park? That seems to be what everyone knows about Chicago.
Oh I don't know really. I think Chicago just falls in the same category as cities like Buenos Aires, Madrid, Montreal, Melbourne, etc. they are cities that don't have that "logo".

Think of Paris without the Eiffel Tower, or London without Big Ben. No, those landmarks don't really make the experience of those cities, but they do help market those cities to vistors.

It doesn't have to be a building for Chicago. I really think cloud gate is starting to become that logo for Chicago, albeit a weak one, but at least it's different. It just takes time.

My mom has international students on a regular basis, and one of the first things they always want to see is the "bean".

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Lure Hollywood to make more films about Chicago, some of your best marketing right there. Hollywood is what helped perpetuate the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty as recognizable landmarks.

However, I feel like some of Chicago's tourism stems from being the underrated city for off-the-beaten-path international travelers. To a degree that image sells, maybe not as well as glamourous, but still...
That's where I bring in my landmark point. In disaster movies they always show cities that have iconic landmarks being blown up. Those iconic landmarks act as a marketing tool and builds a brand of sorts to attract people and basically say " come see me!"

Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
That's where I bring in my landmark point. In disaster movies they always show cities that have iconic landmarks being blown up. Those iconic landmarks act as a marketing tool and builds a brand of sorts to attract people and basically say " come see me!"
Which do you think should become the landmark? The Wrigley Building or the Water Tower? The Sears Tower has a good start, but as other buildings get taller, it's getting more competitive. Cloud Gate has potential. It's a shame the White City is not still around.

The Chicago Spire could've been the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago