Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM
 
7,108 posts, read 8,992,772 times
Reputation: 6415

Advertisements

I first would like to say I love my adopted home town of Chicago. I've got a question for the natives. Why is everyone so tough. Some people will fly off and curse you out and want to fight and swear they can take you and not know anything about you. I've seen more altercations in the past two years than ever. What makes Chicagoans so tough? Is it the street life or gang thug life or what?

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-08-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
 
28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
Reputation: 18730
Economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM
 
7,108 posts, read 8,992,772 times
Reputation: 6415
I guess people could be mad at the cost of living and take it out on strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM
 
644 posts, read 1,189,723 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I guess people could be mad at the cost of living and take it out on strangers.
That's definitely what happens in New York. Check out all the posts about "Midwestern transplants" over on their forum. It's comical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM
 
7,108 posts, read 8,992,772 times
Reputation: 6415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
That's definitely what happens in New York. Check out all the posts about "Midwestern transplants" over on their forum. It's comical.
I have plenty of friends from New York City. New Yorkers love to talk trash about native Chicagoans. They like to say that they are slow. Funny thing they all claim to love Chicago. I tell them if they hate Chicago spans so much they need to go back home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:41 PM
 
831 posts, read 1,731,597 times
Reputation: 1016
We are just like that

Carl Sandburg's 1916 poem "Chicago":
"Hog butcher for the world,
Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the big shoulders."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH USA / formerly Chicago for 20 years
4,069 posts, read 7,331,111 times
Reputation: 3062
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Economy?
I've lived here 18 years now and so have been in Chicago through several economic downturns, and I have definitely noticed that people here get meaner during tough economic times. The streets get meaner -- even in the "good" neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
 
28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
Reputation: 18730
Default Hmm...

Pretty sure all the major meat packing jobs are in places like Sioux City (and mostly held by immigrate from Central America ...)

Illinois Tool Works has corporate HQ here but actual plants are downstate / other states / countries...

Chicago itself has no major grain handling facilties ...

Rail freight traverses our region but is a minor employer ...

Other states are home to far more "brawny" folks...

Times change.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
We are just like that

Carl Sandburg's 1916 poem "Chicago":
"Hog butcher for the world,
Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler;
Stormy, husky, brawling,
City of the big shoulders."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:22 PM
 
831 posts, read 1,731,597 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Pretty sure all the major meat packing jobs are in places like Sioux City (and mostly held by immigrate from Central America ...)

Illinois Tool Works has corporate HQ here but actual plants are downstate / other states / countries...

Chicago itself has no major grain handling facilties ...

Rail freight traverses our region but is a minor employer ...

Other states are home to far more "brawny" folks...

Times change.
I meant the ending only, about which we can agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
928 posts, read 1,716,761 times
Reputation: 1298
Huh, I've found Chicagoans to be excessively polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top