Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times

Advertisements

We are set to move from Phoenix to Chicago in less than a month! I cannot believe it. Through networking, we came across a great rehabbed apartment with air conditioning and one block from the subway that we have signed a lease on. We got to talk to the tenant that's been at this place for 4 years as well as someone else who knows the landlord.

I will be attending Loyola at Water Tower for graduate school (MSW)... starting in July. My internship at Center on Halsted starts in August.

Most importantly--tell me what there is to LOVE about Chicago. I've never really been outside of extended vacations. I want to get excited, I want to look forward to things. My boss got my girlfriend and I a GroupOn to Stray Boots so that will be about the only "tour" we get of the city.

So please, let me know what I must know about moving to Chicago and some pointers. I know my classes get out at 9:30p so I'll be coming home late some days too.

I'm not too concerned about crime--I've lived in Harlem, Queens, etc. But I know my girlfriend is a tad as she's primarily from the South.

Thanks and I look forward to the PERMANENT move--as we aren't moving back ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Crime is highly dependent on location...

Many of the popular areas nearer to Loyola's downtown campus are quite safe. Without knowing which subway stop your apartment is near I would not worry too much.

Chicago has many wonderful spots for dining, theatre, art, live music and other entertainment. Lots to get excited about, really all about your tastes / level of adventure...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I find it interesting that someone from "the South" should be particularly worried about crime as if there aren't serious crime issues in numerous spots throughout the South.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Tried to rep you Drover.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:37 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I find it interesting that someone from "the South" should be particularly worried about crime as if there aren't serious crime issues in numerous spots throughout the South.
The girlfriend is from the south. He didn't say what state or city.

To the OP,

The city is great. You are moving here just in time for the summer. Too many restaurants, festivals and the lakefront is beautiful.

You and your girl friend should be fine as far as safety goes. Watch your surroundings and you should be fine.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm sure my gf will be fine too ;-) Any events we should start looking into now. Preferably on the cheap side ;-)

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
The girlfriend is from the south. He didn't say what state or city.
It doesn't really matter what state or city. The OP expressed his GF's concern about crime using "the South" as the frame of reference -- as if crime issues are are a uniquely Northern phenomenon or something. It's a nitpicky observation I'll admit, so I don't want to belabor it as if it's some big deal because it's not. I just found that particular concern by way of that particular frame of reference to be a bit, well, odd. And perhaps a bit ironic considering the respective crime rates as a whole between North and South.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Oh geez, I wasn't slamming Chicago by any standard. Simply stating a fact and asking for "words of wisdom" I could share with her to ease her concerns. My gf is from a very rural, uneventful town in the South. Regardless, we are both excited and want to know of events and places to go to as something to look forward to.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Oh geez, I wasn't slamming Chicago by any standard. Simply stating a fact and asking for "words of wisdom" I could share with her to ease her concerns. My gf is from a very rural, uneventful town in the South. Regardless, we are both excited and want to know of events and places to go to as something to look forward to.
What are your interest like sports, the arts cultural type things such as symphony there is something for everyone here. Any particular type of food, music entertainment type of bar scene?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Sorry about that, guess I left that out--huh?

We are pretty flexible. We are interested in trying all things--but mostly food related (I'm vegetarian), broadway shows, music (mostly country fans, but like everything). We don't go to specific bars too often, but will hit up happy hours.

While we don't generally go to sporting events, we want to in Chicago since our teams in Phoenix... well, self-explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: